Another poor video quality post

james_pash@yahoo.com

Question

I just got a new Panasonic 3CCD camcorder and tried downloading video.

In the past I've used Mpeg-2 capture card and thought I've gotten all the bugs out of EMC 8, so I'm not new to this game. Initially I tried to capture to MPEG-2, however the video is rendered as 4:3 and not widescreen.

(is there any way to correct that?)

I then tried AVI import for better quality, however now I now have a somewhat poorer quality video that looks like I shot the whole thing through a shower curtain with vertical stripes of distortion. I heard it has to do something with codecs, especially Panasonic Codecs. Is there a way to switch codecs or is the DV codec a function of the camcorder and therefore fixed?

3 answers to this question

Since you titled this as "another", you should know that you need to capture through a firewire connection for best results. Are you doing that?

When you say "rendered" do you just mean that it is captured in 4 by 3?

I just got a new Panasonic 3CCD camcorder and tried downloading video.

In the past I've used Mpeg-2 capture card and thought I've gotten all the bugs out of EMC 8, so I'm not new to this game. Initially I tried to capture to MPEG-2, however the video is rendered as 4:3 and not widescreen.

(is there any way to correct that?)

I then tried AVI import for better quality, however now I now have a somewhat poorer quality video that looks like I shot the whole thing through a shower curtain with vertical stripes of distortion. I heard it has to do something with codecs, especially Panasonic Codecs. Is there a way to switch codecs or is the DV codec a function of the camcorder and therefore fixed?

Since you titled this as "another", you should know that you need to capture through a firewire connection for best results. Are you doing that?

When you say "rendered" do you just mean that it is captured in 4 by 3?

Sorry for the confusion. I also have a video capture card which until now I have been using to capture my old analog videos without quality problems other than the poorer quality of the tapes.

I am capturing through the USB-2 port. In the case of MPEG-2 I guess I mean captured in 4 by 3. My camera doesn't have firewire.

Archived