creator classic update problem

when i try to install the creator classic update after installing the engine update, my drive are no longer recognized by creator. tells me that i have no supported drives or that my drives drivers need to be updated, niether of which is true. i have a Dell Precision 670 w/16x DVD +- RW (not sure of brand) and a samsung 52x 32x 52x 16x combo drive. i lose both of them after installinng the creator classic update. all other updates seem to work fine. anyone help me out???

It sounds like the same issue a lot of people have been reporting. This page has a tool that appears to fix it for several people. It is at least worth checking out. And remember, changing your Regisrty is dangerous, so either know what you are doing or back it up before proceeding.

http://www.roxio.com/en/support/kb/ecdc/eez000005.jhtml

Good Luck,

Onagelius :)

when i try to install the creator classic update after installing the engine update, my drive are no longer recognized by creator. tells me that i have no supported drives or that my drives drivers need to be updated, niether of which is true. i have a Dell Precision 670 w/16x DVD +- RW (not sure of brand) and a samsung 52x 32x 52x 16x combo drive. i lose both of them after installinng the creator classic update. all other updates seem to work fine. anyone help me out???

I have the exact same problem after trying to install the upgrades for ECDC 6!

Judging by other users posts on the forum it's a common problem too.

I've tried everything, even upgrading my drive's firmware but to no avail. My writer is an NEC model: dvd rw ND 1300A.

It functions perfectly well in windows espescially after the firmware upgrade from NEC's site but Roxio refuses to detect it! Same goes for my other dvd drive which is an LG make.

Is Roxio even aware their patches for ECDC 6 are messing up the application's drive detection?

And if so why are they still available for download on the site?

I have the exact same problem after trying to install the upgrades for ECDC 6!

Judging by other users posts on the forum it's a common problem too.

I've tried everything, even upgrading my drive's firmware but to no avail. My writer is an NEC model: dvd rw ND 1300A.

It functions perfectly well in windows espescially after the firmware upgrade from NEC's site but Roxio refuses to detect it! Same goes for my other dvd drive which is an LG make.

Is Roxio even aware their patches for ECDC 6 are messing up the application's drive detection?

And if so why are they still available for download on the site?

What "upgrades" are you refering too?.....did you mean UPDATE, if so.............

Did you download the correct update. Their are two available, Platinum and Basic (you didnt say what version you have).

What "upgrades" are you refering too?.....did you mean UPDATE, if so.............

Did you download the correct update. Their are two available, Platinum and Basic (you didnt say what version you have).

Brb, I meant the update patches.

And I have the basic version of ECDC6.

Have any of you tried contacting Roxio by filing a help ticket?

Those of us who answer here are simply people who have (or have had) the program installed. VERY FEW of us still have Version 6 still installed, which makes it impossible to check installation problems.

Altho it is still being distributed because the newer EMC 7, 7.5, and 8 require a minimum of WinXP SP1 or Win2000 SP4, there haven't been any changes to it for a couple of years.

Including ALL threads on the Version 6 Installation/Update Forum, there has been an average of less than two threads per week this year. If you want to judge it by responses posted, somewhere around 10 posts per week. The other thread you have added to (in Version 6 General) was started at the end of FEBRUARY.

However, evilgouki, you have added that you have Version 6 Basic, and in you other post you say it came with the computer software. It is probable that when you added the standard updates, you mucked up something that your OEM [Original Equipment Mfgr] modified. Since you have OEM software, responsibility for supporting it belongs to the whoever bought the rights to it, modified it, and put it on your computer. Try contacting them.

Lynn

Have any of you tried contacting Roxio by filing a help ticket?

Those of us who answer here are simply people who have (or have had) the program installed. VERY FEW of us still have Version 6 still installed, which makes it impossible to check installation problems.

Altho it is still being distributed because the newer EMC 7, 7.5, and 8 require a minimum of WinXP SP1 or Win2000 SP4, there haven't been any changes to it for a couple of years.

Including ALL threads on the Version 6 Installation/Update Forum, there has been an average of less than two threads per week this year. If you want to judge it by responses posted, somewhere around 10 posts per week. The other thread you have added to (in Version 6 General) was started at the end of FEBRUARY.

However, evilgouki, you have added that you have Version 6 Basic, and in you other post you say it came with the computer software. It is probable that when you added the standard updates, you mucked up something that your OEM [Original Equipment Mfgr] modified. Since you have OEM software, responsibility for supporting it belongs to the whoever bought the rights to it, modified it, and put it on your computer. Try contacting them.

Lynn

Yes, yes.

I know you are all users here just like me trying to help eachother out.

I did file a ticket with the helpdesk and I even got a response! Although the advice wasn't really helpful as Roxio still won't detect my drives. I updated the Roxio engine, updated the firmware of my drive as suggested yet Roxio still won't detect it.

And it's not the first time I've encountered problems with the software. The updater stopped working ever since the first time I ran it for whatever reason. All these little niggles build up and really put me off to keep using Roxio, now and in the future.

I just got a copy of Nero7 from a friend and it works a charm.

Might stick to that and make it my main burner and just delete ECDC6 seeing as Roxio's support for it is a bit halfhearted and slowly dwindling.

As for that OEM thing, My Norton 2003 which also auto installed on first boot still works perfectly, updates and all so that is no excuse!

Yes, yes.

I know you are all users here just like me trying to help eachother out.

I did file a ticket with the helpdesk and I even got a response! Although the advice wasn't really helpful as Roxio still won't detect my drives. I updated the Roxio engine, updated the firmware of my drive as suggested yet Roxio still won't detect it.

And it's not the first time I've encountered problems with the software. The updater stopped working ever since the first time I ran it for whatever reason. All these little niggles build up and really put me off to keep using Roxio, now and in the future.

I just got a copy of Nero7 from a friend and it works a charm.

Might stick to that and make it my main burner and just delete ECDC6 seeing as Roxio's support for it is a bit halfhearted and slowly dwindling.

As for that OEM thing, My Norton 2003 which also auto installed on first boot still works perfectly, updates and all so that is no excuse!

I purchased V6.0 when it first came out and have installed all the updates as they came along. Never a problem.

Nero has had its' share of problems through the years. One, short lived, update would actually erase your C:\ drive when you burned a disc!

To keep your comparison on a level basis, you would have to install Nero 5 OEM to be equal to V6 Basic.

Or you could install V8 to be on the same footing as Nero V7. Nero's V7 was very buggy when introduced but I think they have updated a few times now and have it working.

Have you tried the support suggestion on "Drives not recognized" you can find by going to the left of this page and clicking on Easy CD & DVD Creator?And not the one about not being recognized by Windows.

Have you tried the support suggestion on "Drives not recognized" you can find by going to the left of this page and clicking on Easy CD & DVD Creator?And not the one about not being recognized by Windows.

Thanks for the heads up.

I just tried it (without the clean reinstall for obvious reasons) but the problem still persists.

I want to thank all the people who replied to my posts but I think I'll just stick to Nero 7 for now.

Shame as I did like using Roxio (the GUI is excellent and quite a bit more userfriendly than Nero's) until it started playing up after the patching process. Sort it out Roxio and I might return to you in the future for the next iteration of your software!

Thanks for the heads up.

I just tried it (without the clean reinstall for obvious reasons) but the problem still persists.

I want to thank all the people who replied to my posts but I think I'll just stick to Nero 7 for now.

Shame as I did like using Roxio (the GUI is excellent and quite a bit more userfriendly than Nero's) until it started playing up after the patching process. Sort it out Roxio and I might return to you in the future for the next iteration of your software!

If your Roxio program came with your computer, then you have a OEM version.

An OEM is usually a version that a large computer manufacturer buys and installs to sell pre-installed on their computer (sometimes they may add features that are only available in the full retail Platinum edition) The computer buyer gets a copy of the pre-installed software in case they have to reinstall it on their computer. For example, if the files get corrupt or the hard drive has to be reformatted, that computer user needs a copy of the software to reinstall the software that came with the computer. OEM means Original Equipment Manufacturer.

Some OEM, versions come with CD burners.

These "Basic" versions vary and are customized to fit the contract of the OEM purchaser.

Likewise, ALL support comes from your OEM provider and not from Roxio. Contact your OEM provider and see what they have to say

Thanks for the heads up.

Seems you overlooked the part about there has not been any work done on V.6 for about two years (aside from whatever your OEM provider did), and isn't going to be any done in the future. It's an outdated Version.

If you want to compare Nero 7, compare it with one of the Roxio Versions of similar age.

However, EMC 7 was pretty much re-written from scratch, and EMC 8 was again re-written from scratch, so it's no more realistic to compare them to Vesion 6 than it is to compare Nero 7 to Version 6.

Lynn

I did it!

I got my Roxio working again!

After having updated my ECDC 6 it stopped recognizing my drives. It appears my Drag to disc start up application was the cause of the problem. I disabled it with msconfig and after rebooting ECDC6 works again! Hooray, etc etc!

Thanks again for all the help people! This forum certainly beats the Roxanne bot support help!

So, there apparently was a Packet-Writing conflict.

There is the Basic False Analogy, that you format the floppy before use, therefore you format the CD or DVD before use. Actually, Packet-Writing by different mfgrs (Drag2Disc, Nero's InCD, Sonic's DLA, etc) are proprietary and incompatible - and sometimes different Versions of the same application are incompatible.

However, if you want to KEEP the data, NEVER format the disc. Packet-Writing is best used for permantly losing all data.

Best way is a sessions-based program, such as Classic Creator, or the built-in WinXP burning (which works as if drag-and-drop, but is actually sessions).

Lynn

I never use Drag to Disc so I have no idea what it was doing in my startup folder.

Is it the DVD+-RW app? If so I have some experiences of discs becoming unreadable over time.

Not a very good format to use for backing up data.

I went by this link here: http://www.roxio.com/en/support/ecddvdvc/s...t_notes.jhtml#E

I noticed how in my case Drag to Disc was the only Roxio app to run normally so I decided to disable it.

And that solved the problem, my drives are recognised once more!

I think there must've been some internal conflict at startup where DragtoDisc hogs the drive recognition part of the software. Somehow this part of the engine can't be utilised by the whole suite if DragtoDisc gets there first?

I had the exact same problem. After installing the engine update for Creator Classic my drives were no longer recognized by creator. Instead of trying to fool around with my registry, I did a sysem restore to a date before the update and everything was back to normal. If you still have a system restore backup for an earlier date, try it!

Naomi

Archived