• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 13 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Compressing and encoding

ananderson

Question

I recently upgraded Toast Titanium 10.0.4 and have the following problem. I recently upgraded to 10.0.4 and whammy. When I drag a movie

(6.2 GB's) onto the VIDEO_TS Folders Screen and press the record button it goes into Compressing and Extracting. It runs this for a couple (?) of minutes with no progress indicated on the progress bar; it then abruptly crashes displaying the following: "The application Toast Titanium quit unexpectedly" and gives me three options, Ignore, Report, and Relaunch. I have no problem burning the HD television programs that I record using Eye TV (two edited one hour programs per disc). I had no problem burning movies to disc when I was using Toast Basic 9.0. My wife has no problem burning these same movies to disc using Toast 7.

I am running a MacPro using OX 10.5.8, I also have 6 GB's of RAM.

Solutions would be greatly appreciated

2 answers to this question

Go back to the previous version of Toast 10 if you have it. The 10.0.4 update is mostly to fix issues with 10.6.x but it has some problems.

I gather you are trying to use the Fit-to-DVD compression to put the dual-layer content on a single-layer DVD. Try choosing Save as Disc Image and if that works use the Image File setting in the Copy window to do the fit-to-DVD compression and burn the DVD.

You also can choose DVD video as the format in the Video window and use the Media Browser to access the content from the VIDEO_TS folder. Choose DVD with the top button of the media browser. When something shows up in the browser window double-click on it to see the individual video titles. Drag the ones you want to the Video window. You then can create a menu and choose Save as Disc Image. Then do the compression to a single-layer disc using the Image File setting in the Copy window.

If the problem started with 10.0.4 then send feedback to Roxio via the link in Toast Help.

Go back to 10.0.2. the rev. 10.0.3 fixed chapter import, but damaged blu-ray on DVD - the program crashed when the drive was selected. The work around was to output to HDD and burn with one of the previous revisions. Blu-ray on blu-ray media worked fine. 10.0.4 for many of us crashes while compressing for blu-ray on DVD, doesn't even get to the point of burning. Unless you need chapter imports, go back to 10.0.2. I keep all three of the last releases. Of course at that time the OS changed, so it added to the confusion and symptoms, but I don't believe that there is any single version that works for all media with chapters.

Archived