Problems editing with videowave 2010

ldt

Question

Hi -

I'm getting frustrated with Roxio. I've got a 20 minute video that I've copied to my harddrive. I'm trying to cut out several 3 minute segments using the trim feature. Problem 1 - it takes minutes for the trim feature to work (Computer is new Dell laptop with windows 7, 4 GB ram, 2.1 G duo core processor) and the frustrating thing is that there is no 'hour glass' to show that the system is working - you just have to wait and guess when the program is ready to accept more commands. Problem 2 - In the case when I do get a clip, more often than not the audio and video are out of sync by several seconds. Arrrghhh!

BTW, I've also tried Roxio on an older computer system (Windows xp, 1 gb ram, 2 g pentium) and have the same problems.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Les

8 answers to this question

Hi -

I'm getting frustrated with Roxio. I've got a 20 minute video that I've copied to my harddrive. I'm trying to cut out several 3 minute segments using the trim feature. Problem 1 - it takes minutes for the trim feature to work (Computer is new Dell laptop with windows 7, 4 GB ram, 2.1 G duo core processor) and the frustrating thing is that there is no 'hour glass' to show that the system is working - you just have to wait and guess when the program is ready to accept more commands. Problem 2 - In the case when I do get a clip, more often than not the audio and video are out of sync by several seconds. Arrrghhh!

BTW, I've also tried Roxio on an older computer system (Windows xp, 1 gb ram, 2 g pentium) and have the same problems.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Les

Where did you get the original 20 minute video clip? What format? Is it standard definition or high definition. Don't use the trip function; split the video into the parts you want to keep and those that you want to delete. Delete the parts you do want.

Load the clip and then walk away for a bio break or for another refreshing beverage. The video seems to load first followed by the audio track. You may be trying to edit to quickly. Also, clear your proxy files and encode in the software more. Go to Video Wave top menu, click on Tools, then options; you'll see both there.

Where did you get the original 20 minute video clip? What format? Is it standard definition or high definition. Don't use the trip function; split the video into the parts you want to keep and those that you want to delete. Delete the parts you do want.

Load the clip and then walk away for a bio break or for another refreshing beverage. The video seems to load first followed by the audio track. You may be trying to edit to quickly. Also, clear your proxy files and encode in the software more. Go to Video Wave top menu, click on Tools, then options; you'll see both there.

===

Thanks for the reply. The original clip is from our music performance by a pro videographer who put it on dvd for us. It's standard def. You say "split it into parts" but don't use trim (trip?) function - how? Also you say "Delete the parts you do want" ??

I probably am trying to edit too quickly, but why doesn't Roxio display some sort of hour glass to let a user know when it is ready to accept edits?

I see where to clear the proxy files, but what does "encode in software more" mean? Is that the button at the top of the tools/option box indicating "Render using: software/hardware"

I'm brand new to this stuff, so please bear with me. Thanks again

Les

===

Thanks for the reply. The original clip is from our music performance by a pro videographer who put it on dvd for us. It's standard def. You say "split it into parts" but don't use trim (trip?) function - how? Also you say "Delete the parts you do want" ??

I probably am trying to edit too quickly, but why doesn't Roxio display some sort of hour glass to let a user know when it is ready to accept edits?

I see where to clear the proxy files, but what does "encode in software more" mean? Is that the button at the top of the tools/option box indicating "Render using: software/hardware"

I'm brand new to this stuff, so please bear with me. Thanks again

Les

Watch this; it is for an earlier version but the program works the same way.

Yes, it depends on your computer. If there is a dot near software, leave it there. If it is near hardware, put it to software. Try again.

How did you get the video onto your computer? You should have just put the disc into your reader/burner and copy the contents of the disc. That may get rid of any sync issues. Open the folders and add the VOB files into Video Wave.

Thanks so much for your reply - the video does indeed clear up some questions. However, the steps you performed (each split) would take literally 5-8 minutes on my brand new dell system - with no 'hour glass' to let you know when it was safe to edit - and then most of the time the audio and video was out of sync.

Another issue that Roxio should address is their awful help system - when I went to the manual I found absolutely no reference to "Split" - wouldn't you think that each major function should have a line or two???

I searched for "Split" in the software help and found a reference to expanding the software window!

OK, now for the good news (for me at least - not users of Roxio), I just tried Windows Live Movie Maker on the Windows 7 machine and accomplished in 15 minute !!!!!! (yes, 15 minutes) what I've been trying to do with Roxio for 15 hours over several different days - boy was my $100 wasted - probably the worst product I've ever bought!

I'm mad at Roxio, not you guys that have been trying to help me - to you I give my thanks!

Les

Thanks so much for your reply - the video does indeed clear up some questions. However, the steps you performed (each split) would take literally 5-8 minutes on my brand new dell system - with no 'hour glass' to let you know when it was safe to edit - and then most of the time the audio and video was out of sync.

Another issue that Roxio should address is their awful help system - when I went to the manual I found absolutely no reference to "Split" - wouldn't you think that each major function should have a line or two???

I searched for "Split" in the software help and found a reference to expanding the software window!

OK, now for the good news (for me at least - not users of Roxio), I just tried Windows Live Movie Maker on the Windows 7 machine and accomplished in 15 minute !!!!!! (yes, 15 minutes) what I've been trying to do with Roxio for 15 hours over several different days - boy was my $100 wasted - probably the worst product I've ever bought!

I'm mad at Roxio, not you guys that have been trying to help me - to you I give my thanks!

Les

If it took over 2 seconds to make a split, you have way too much running in the background, on your Dell, your file is some offbeat format, or you have something seriously wrong with your computer.

Roxio was the only thing running, often right after a reboot. The File is a *.vob file copied directly to the harddisk from the dvd. Windows Live Movie Maker did the split in 1 second like you said it should be done. It's a brand new computer with Roxio the only new software installed.

Roxio was the only thing running, often right after a reboot. The File is a *.vob file copied directly to the harddisk from the dvd. Windows Live Movie Maker did the split in 1 second like you said it should be done. It's a brand new computer with Roxio the only new software installed.

How many icons do you see in your tray, in the lower right corner of your screen? I haven't a clue how to get to msconfig in Win 7, but that is where you need to shut down most of what is checked in the Startup tab.

Also, when you are doing any video work, disable your antivirus software.

Archived