• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 14 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Roxio Media Capture stops working

efficiencycoach

Question

Roxio Media Capture stops working when I try to convert a DVD to MP4 - or any format.

I re-installed Roxio 2009, and then installed the service pack 4. Still no joy.

My version of Roxio Creator 2009:

Version 1.1.110SP4:4.50.05a

Build 111B10E, RO3: 411B33A, C11

VideoConvert Launcher Plugin

My laptop details are as follows:

Computer: HP Pavilion dv3 Notebook PC

4 Mb installed RAM

processor: Intel® Core 2 Duo CPU T6500 @2.10 Ghz

I am running windows vista, version 6.0, service pack 2, architecture 32-bit

Any ideas? Thanks for any help.

21 answers to this question

Roxio Media Capture stops working when I try to convert a DVD to MP4 - or any format.

I re-installed Roxio 2009, and then installed the service pack 4. Still no joy.

My version of Roxio Creator 2009:

Version 1.1.110SP4:4.50.05a

Build 111B10E, RO3: 411B33A, C11

VideoConvert Launcher Plugin

My laptop details are as follows:

Computer: HP Pavilion dv3 Notebook PC

4 Mb installed RAM

processor: Intel® Core 2 Duo CPU T6500 @2.10 Ghz

I am running windows vista, version 6.0, service pack 2, architecture 32-bit

Any ideas? Thanks for any help.

commercial DVD are protected with an encryption method preventing what you are trying to do...

Click on Vista, in the following link. Print out the instructions, and don't skip any steps.

http://forums.support.roxio.com/index.php?showtopic=41967

I have clean uninstalled and installed Roxio 2009 4 times (as per this instruction) - and made sure that all the components of Roxio were deleted before installing, and that they installed correctly.

Any more ideas that I can try?

I have clean uninstalled and installed Roxio 2009 4 times (as per this instruction) - and made sure that all the components of Roxio were deleted before installing, and that they installed correctly.

Forgot to say, still getting the same problem.

Did you follow the steps in Post #11 of this thread? If you did, what is this DVD ripper program that you are talking about? :blink:

And, you better look at what you posted for your laptop specs, because they can't be right. List the make and model of your laptop.

The DVD ripper part of the software is the bit that takes the video file from the DVD and converts in into MP4 or AVI etc.

I think I have found the answer to my problem. I have asked the question of the programmers community, and it appears that when vista windows service pack 2 update happened, it inadvertently caused the DVD ripper part of the software to stop working. It is alleged that in a move to get people to update to roxio creator 2010, the bug has not been fixed, despite the patch that was released... and I am not alone in suffering this problem.

My solution is to get a stand alone free DVD ripper such as XXXXX

Thank you for all your help.

Edited to get rid of unneeded link.

The DVD ripper part of the software is the bit that takes the video file from the DVD and converts in into MP4 or AVI etc.

I think I have found the answer to my problem. I have asked the question of the programmers community, and it appears that when vista windows service pack 2 update happened, it inadvertently caused the DVD ripper part of the software to stop working. It is alleged that in a move to get people to update to roxio creator 2010, the bug has not been fixed, despite the patch that was released... and I am not alone in suffering this problem.

My solution is to get a stand alone free DVD ripper such as ftp://ccgb.co.uk/all%20software/Leawo/

Thank you for all your help.

As has been repeatedly stated there is no need for a "Ripper" program to convert the video from a DVD to video file. All you have to do is copy the Video_TS folder to your hard drive and then load the vob file into Videowave. Your "programmers community" is giving your incorrect information. There is no bug in the prograqm.

Forgot to say, still getting the same problem.

Are you saying that you used Video Copy and Convert (Copy and Convert DVD-Video), and it crashed, after you brought in the files that were on your hard drive?

As has been repeatedly stated there is no need for a "Ripper" program to convert the video from a DVD to video file. All you have to do is copy the Video_TS folder to your hard drive and then load the vob file into Videowave. Your "programmers community" is giving your incorrect information. There is no bug in the prograqm.

I wish I had James's picture of the horse, at the water. :(

Are you saying that you used Video Copy and Convert (Copy and Convert DVD-Video), and it crashed, after you brought in the files that were on your hard drive?

Yes, whenever I try and take some files from my camcorder mini DVD (which have been finalised) and convert these into MP4 files - whether using the 'capture video' option, or the 'copy and convert' option, I get a message saying 'Roxio MediaCapture/Video Convert has stopped working and the program will now close.' It makes no difference whether I am trying to do this direct from the disk or from the saved version of the clips on my hard drive.

I stumped. :blink:

I've clean uninstalled and reinstalled it 4 times over the last 3 days. (following the instructions to the absolute letter) I don't have any programs running now at start-up, just in case that was causing a conflict....

Yes, whenever I try and take some files from my camcorder mini DVD (which have been finalised) and convert these into MP4 files - whether using the 'capture video' option, or the 'copy and convert' option, I get a message saying 'Roxio MediaCapture/Video Convert has stopped working and the program will now close.' It makes no difference whether I am trying to do this direct from the disk or from the saved version of the clips on my hard drive.

I stumped. :blink:

I've clean uninstalled and reinstalled it 4 times over the last 3 days. (following the instructions to the absolute letter) I don't have any programs running now at start-up, just in case that was causing a conflict....

If you followed these steps, and it didn't work, I am not sure what else to suggest.

1. Using My Computer, copy the files, from your mini-DVD, to a folder on your hard drive.

2. You are now done with the mini-DVD, so you can pull that out of your optical drive.

3. Open Video Copy and Convert, click on the Video Compilation tab, then click on the Add Movies, then browse to the Video_TS folder, that is in the folder that you copied the files/folders from your mini-DVD.

4. Click on the Video_TS folder, then, click on the movie that shows up, and click on OK.

5. On the Destination screen, click in the circle to the left of File/Folder.

6. In the Format dropdown box, choose MPEG-4.

7. Click on the Options button. If you are in the U.S, Canada, or one of the other areas that use NTSC, change the Framerate to that. The default is set to PAL for some idiotic reason.

8. Change the other options to what you want, change the Disc name to what you want, then click OK.

9. Click the Save As button, and save it in whatever folder you want it in, on your computer.

If the program crashes, something is still amiss, and I would start by updating the drivers for your video chip.

If you followed these steps, and it didn't work, I am not sure what else to suggest.

1. Using My Computer, copy the files, from your mini-DVD, to a folder on your hard drive.

2. You are now done with the mini-DVD, so you can pull that out of your optical drive.

3. Open Video Copy and Convert, click on the Video Compilation tab, then click on the Add Movies, then browse to the Video_TS folder, that is in the folder that you copied the files/folders from your mini-DVD.

4. Click on the Video_TS folder, then, click on the movie that shows up, and click on OK.

5. On the Destination screen, click in the circle to the left of File/Folder.

6. In the Format dropdown box, choose MPEG-4.

7. Click on the Options button. If you are in the U.S, Canada, or one of the other areas that use NTSC, change the Framerate to that. The default is set to PAL for some idiotic reason.

8. Change the other options to what you want, change the Disc name to what you want, then click OK.

9. Click the Save As button, and save it in whatever folder you want it in, on your computer.

If the program crashes, something is still amiss, and I would start by updating the drivers for your video chip.

Thanks for all your help. The programme is still crashing & I have updated the driver software for my graphics card.

Then your laptop may not have the horsepower to use the software. :(

very unlikely - laptop is 3 months old, separate graphics card, intel centrino chip (2 Ghz processor), 3 or 4 Mb of RAM. If my laptop didn't have the horsepower, then it would be unstable when running the software, rather than just crashing everytime I tried to use the DVD ripper part of the software.

Still stumped!

very unlikely - laptop is 3 months old, separate graphics card, intel centrino chip (2 Ghz processor), 3 or 4 Mb of RAM. If my laptop didn't have the horsepower, then it would be unstable when running the software, rather than just crashing everytime I tried to use the DVD ripper part of the software.

Still stumped!

If you have your video on a DVD then you don't want to use the "ripper" part of the software. As was explained above, simply use Windows Explorer to copy the video to your hard drive.

... just crashing everytime I tried to use the DVD ripper part of the software.

Still stumped!

Follow suggestions of Walt's; if the DVD had bad or unreadable spots Windows Explorer will make you aware;

could be the DVD ripper does not handle, say, CRC errors gracefully?

commercial DVD are protected with an encryption method preventing what you are trying to do...

It wasn't a commercial DVD, it was a mini-disc DVD that I had just recorded a couple of clips of my children singing christmas carols.

Everytime I tried to run the convert from DVD, I would get the message 'Roxio Media Capture has stopped working, windows is closing the programme...' and Media Capture would close down.

Any ideas?

It wasn't a commercial DVD, it was a mini-disc DVD that I had just recorded a couple of clips of my children singing christmas carols.

Everytime I tried to run the convert from DVD, I would get the message 'Roxio Media Capture has stopped working, windows is closing the programme...' and Media Capture would close down.

Any ideas?

Finalize that min-DVD, and copy the contents to a folder, on your hard drive, and try again, using the files on your hard drive.

Still stumped!

Did you follow the steps in Post #11 of this thread? If you did, what is this DVD ripper program that you are talking about? :blink:

And, you better look at what you posted for your laptop specs, because they can't be right. List the make and model of your laptop.

Archived