• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 10 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

clips from mpeg, vob and DV-avi

mikejc111

Question

A couple of years ago I bought EMC9 for my desktop that has XP.

I have always liked the fact that Videowave can work with MPEG and VOB video, then when you burn the DVD it doesn't convert it, so you lose nothing in the final product.

I have another editing program, that works natively in DV. If you want to edit something that clearly has a video look to it, then you will notice a loss in pic quality. If it is something that looks like it was shot on film, the effect will not be noticeable. Video-shot stuff (like a bit of Eastenders for example) really looks naff when you see the finished DVD using this other software.

Is it still the case that you can work with MPEG in this way with EMC10?

That was my first question. My second is;

If it does, then what happens when you have a timeline that has some clips from MPEG, and some clips from other sources, like MiniDV (dv avi)? Would the MPEGs still retain their video look, or will it perform some conversion to unify them all to DV or something?

2 answers to this question

[snip]

A couple of years ago I bought EMC9 for my desktop that has XP.

I have always liked the fact that Videowave can work with MPEG and VOB video, then when you burn the DVD it doesn't convert it, so you lose nothing in the final product.

Is it still the case that you can work with MPEG in this way with EMC10?

That was my first question. My second is;

If it does, then what happens when you have a timeline that has some clips from MPEG, and some clips from other sources, like MiniDV (dv avi)? Would the MPEGs still retain their video look, or will it perform some conversion to unify them all to DV or something?

EMC 10 has been out of production for a couple of years, now. You would find the same thing happening, as you did with EMC 9. If you don't edit the mpeg video, then it should not re-encode.

Creator 2010 is the newest version of the software, and it should act the same way.

If you are adding MiniDV .avi files to the production, the .avi files will be encoded to a DVD compliant movie.

EMC 10 has been out of production for a couple of years, now. You would find the same thing happening, as you did with EMC 9. If you don't edit the mpeg video, then it should not re-encode.

Creator 2010 is the newest version of the software, and it should act the same way.

If you are adding MiniDV .avi files to the production, the .avi files will be encoded to a DVD compliant movie.

ok that's cool.

My last question is; In Videowave I was able to take a 4:3 clip - that had 16:9 letterboxing within it - and then zoom so that the black areas were lost and the picture area filled the 16:9 frame. Very useful. However in my other software (that is not so mpeg friendly) I am able to do that, but am also able to stretch a 4:3 clip horizontally. This is useful for anamorphically squashed clips.

Is it still yes for zoom and no for stretch?

m

Archived