Stop Roxio Creator 2010 from installing Directx 9 on Windows 7 64 bit

Ztruker

Question

I am trying to install Roxio Creator 2010 on my newly installed Windows 7 Pro X64.

Right at the beginning, it wants to install Directx 9 which is dumb, since Windows 7 already has Directx 11.

Is there any way to prevent the install of Directx 9? I really don't want to back level it.

Rich

11 answers to this question

A quick search found this:

DirectX 11 features include:

Tessellation – Tessellation is implemented on the GPU to calculate a smoother curved surface resulting in more graphically detailed images, including more lifelike characters in the gaming worlds that you explore.

Multi-Threading – The ability to scale across multi-core CPUs will enable developers to take greater advantage of the power within multi-core CPUs. This results in faster framerates for games, while still supporting the increased visual detailing.

DirectCompute – Developers can utilize the power of discrete graphics cards to accelerate both gaming and non-gaming applications. This improves graphics, while also enabling players to accelerate everyday tasks, like video editing, on their Windows 7 PC.

While Windows 7 is fully compatible with games and hardware that use older versions of DirectX, the new DirectX 11 features are available with a DirectX 11 compatible graphics card and games designed to take advantage of this new technology.

Since my graphics card (Nvidia Quadro FX 3400/4400) only has DirectX 9.0 support, my concern is a waste of time it seems (I'm also not a gamer).

Still, why does Roxio insist on installing Directx 9 when Directx 11 is already installed?

Still curious what Roxio support comes back with.

Thanks

I didn't know they could both be installed at the same time. Never thought about it actually.

Moot point though as my video card supports DirectX 9.0. I've installed it and updated, and will check it out this week.

Thanks for the responses.

I got a response from Roxio support:

Leave it install Dirext 9 and once the installation is complete update it to Directx11. There is no way of altering the installation.

We use a redistributable package of DX9 that has specific dlls in the system folder. These dlls are not available through DX11 or DX10 or even the DX9 through Windows Update. We should move away from using those dlls but development has just not gotten around to it. Hence DX9 needs to be installed.

I am trying to install Roxio Creator 2010 on my newly installed Windows 7 Pro X64.

Right at the beginning, it wants to install Directx 9 which is dumb, since Windows 7 already has Directx 11.

Is there any way to prevent the install of Directx 9? I really don't want to back level it.

Rich

Yep, first thing after you click next on the install screen here... http://forums.support.roxio.com/index.php?...mp;#entry301808

No way to stop it...

cd

I don't see what the big deal is about it getting installed <_< If it was doing something to your system or to other programs you might have installed, that's one thing. But I have a whole bunch of other programs installed on my Win 7 Pro 64 bit and haven't found any of them being compromised by Directx9.

Frank...

Thank you all for replying.

I dislike any software that back levels other software already installed on my system. Roxio 2010 is supposed to be Windows 7 compliant so it should not be back leveling a component of Windows 7. I can understand if Directx was not at least version 9. This tells me their sniffer code is not well written. They should be checking for = or > 9, not = 9.

I've opened a problem ticket with Roxio support. Will see what they have to say.

I'm going to check around and see if there is any way to reinstall Directx 11 after Roxio 2010 is installed. That would a be a viable, though annoying work around.

cd, I did look through your excellent install post. Thank oyu.

Archived