• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 8 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

MyDVD menu won't preview or burn

OzRob

Question

I have a big problem with MyDVD hanging whenever I try to preview a project menu or during burning when it reaches the stage of compling the menu. All my software and drivers are up to date and seem to meet or exceed the minimum system requirements for Creatror 2010. I'd appreciate any great ideas anyone has 'cos I've run out. I used to have Creator7.5 prior to IE7 and it worked ok. Creator2010 so far has been a disappointment.

10 answers to this question

Jim, thanks again, my replies below...

>I should have asked earlier – you are not trying to use EMC 7.5 projects[/i] in 2010???

No, I was trying to match a previous project but not by importing a project file. I was starting from scratch in MyDVD 2010 and building the project up as new, using mpeg and jpg files on my HDD.

>Complex menus are not a problem – post-39730-1261314302.jpg

Nice example but my system still hangs if I try anthing that complex with v2010.

>EMC 7.5 Builder was crude by comparison! (still, a great little package ;) )

Yes, and it seemed to work a lot more reliably (for me, that is).

>You can change the menu buttons to Text only. Just scroll though the button choices until you see one or pick a menu theme that has that.

Yes, did that, but the result is disapointingly 20th century compared to what ought to be possible.

>Quality??? The silly thing defaults to Fit to Disc and you need to set it to HQ each and every time you start a new project!

Right, that's a trap for the unwary. I'll try this but it only addresses one issue (if that is the problem)

>Are you set to PAL? Interlaced? (don’t' fiddle with these things, if you don't know what they do :lol: )

I didn't fiddle but maybe I should. We are all PAL system over here.

>What about the source material? Output will not be better than what you feed it…

The source material is fine and plays well with good quality as an mpeg in WMP or other players. The quality suffers badly though when videos are compiled during burn.

I received some guidance from Roxio online support, who say I should install SP1. I did that weeks ago so that's not the problem.

I'll try a few more things but sadly I think I'm going to have to admit defeat. I will be shot by my family if I spend Xmas fiddling with the computer, and my 30 day refund period is about to expire. I may have little option now other than to lodge my refund request and go back to Nero (the dark side?). I'll give it another go first...

regards,

Rob :glare:

Hey, thanks for the reply. It's helpful and depressing at the same time. I have 3gig of RAM and suppose I could add some more. I've shut down most start-up programs but not all so can try killing the rest to see if that helps. Still, it's rather a dissapointment to hear that Creator 2010 is such a dog after enjoying v7.5 before. Whilst we're all canning Roxio, I'd also add that I emailed their support section at the same time as posting my original message here, received a ticket number, then had deafening silence ever since. It seems Roxio's customer servcie is as bad as their product! :angry:

I'll try what you sugget and see if I get anywhere. Thanks. So you guy's got it to work eventually?

Rob

Hey, thanks for the reply. It's helpful and depressing at the same time. I have 3gig of RAM and suppose I could add some more. I've shut down most start-up programs but not all so can try killing the rest to see if that helps. Still, it's rather a dissapointment to hear that Creator 2010 is such a dog after enjoying v7.5 before. Whilst we're all canning Roxio, I'd also add that I emailed their support section at the same time as posting my original message here, received a ticket number, then had deafening silence ever since. It seems Roxio's customer servcie is as bad as their product! :angry:

I'll try what you sugget and see if I get anywhere. Thanks. So you guy's got it to work eventually?

Rob

Let's take this down a notch Rob… MRyans rant is out of place and just plain wrong! GPB was answering his rant and not your inqury… Both are deleted now so as not to distract from your problem.

So let's go from your post. "…meet or exceed" is pretty vague, you would be amazed what some users try to slip by with :lol:

List your specs, like you see in my signature, with much emphasis on CPU and speed!

FYI: RAM means squat, rendering takes up a whooping 300 MB even if you have 10GB installed…

Also have you run the Repair option from Add/Remove Programs?

Come back with that and we should be able to address your issues.

Jim,

No evasion. The input files I'm using are the same as were used previously in a ver7.5 project, but (as explained below) rebuilding the project in ver2010. The quality problems I was having (blurred B&W output) never occured before so I doubt this is the problem. The preview was ok, but the burned disk was not.

As for the project complexity, I wasn't trying anything too complicated, just to replicate an old project (successful in ver7.5). Ver2010 was ok if I kept it real simple with text menus (except for the dodgy burn quality) but would hang if I took it one step too far.

I reinstalled the software twice, taking note of the full install (cleaning) procedure from Roxio. Sadly this did not help. I chased through all the system diagnostics I could but couldn't find a conflict or system problem to explain this. Unfortantely I then ran out of time and requested a refund before the 30 day period expired. The program is now deleted. Thanks for your help, I appreciate your efforts. The problems will remain moot issues now. I have been defeated.

Happy New Year,

Rob

It the 2010 program crashes it is because of a faulty install or your system itself. It is one of the most stable versions to date. It is also one of the most capable.

As far as button text it is up to you! You wanted Text and you are free to play with their properties for Fonts, Point Size, Color & Size… Up to you.

You evaded answering my question about your source files… What they play like is irrelevant! Output Quality is from their original quality and what they are rendered as. In MyDVD when you click on Add New Movie, point to one of the files and right click it, selecting Properties. Then look at Details tab.

We are hoping to see 8000 kbps & 720 X 576???

And of course check under Project Settings to make sure you are set to PAL Interlaced.

Jim,

Thanks for the pointers. That got me a bit further ahead but not out of the woods.

Trying your KISS approach I managed to preview and complie a very simple project (one picture & one short movie). After a bit more experimentation, I managed to to expand the project to something similar I would have achived with ver7.5 but only with a very simple text-only menu. Using thumbnails as menu icons, a feature I'm used to and what I was doing before, causes the process to hang again. So now I can get the project to preview and compile, but only if I have the most simple menu features (text only).

However, having successfully burned such a simple project to disk, the quality is quite poor. Worryingly the DVD drive in my PC would recognise it as a DVD when reinserted. When a tried the disk on a standard DVD player (attached to my plasma TV) the picture was black & white only and rather wobbly. All other disks run in the machine are fine.

I'm guessing this is rather hard to diagnose at a distance. The infuriating thing is that all this hardware worked well when I was on Creator7.5. I'll fiddle around some more but as I don't have any error messages to deal with, I'm not sure what to adjust (if anything). Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

Regards, :blink:

Rob

I should have asked earlier – you are not trying to use EMC 7.5 projects[/i] in 2010???

Never going to work!

Complex menus are not a problem – post-39730-1261314302.jpg

This is one has 5 pages total and 11 movies + a Play All, extended motion and background audio. (movies have chapters but no chapter menus)

EMC 7.5 Builder was crude by comparison! (still, a great little package ;) )

You can change the menu buttons to Text only. Just scroll though the button choices until you see one or pick a menu theme that has that.

Quality???

The silly thing defaults to Fit to Disc and you need to set it to HQ each and every time you start a new project!

Are you set to PAL? Interlaced? (don’t' fiddle with these things, if you don't know what they do :lol: )

What about the source material? Output will not be better than what you feed it…

Jim,

Thanks for the sane reply, and yes I'm feeling a bit frsutrated. I've struggled for 3 weeks with this now. To answer you questions, the vital statistics of my system are:

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Professional

Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600

System Manufacturer Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.

System Model P35-DS3

System Type X86-based PC

Processor x86 Family 6 Model 15 Stepping 11 GenuineIntel ~2666 Mhz

BIOS Version/Date Award Software International, Inc. F6, 6/09/2007

SMBIOS Version 2.4

Total Physical Memory 3,072.00 MB

Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB

Page File Space 4.84 GB

Display:

Name NVIDIA GeForce 7300 SE/7200 GS

Adapter RAM 512.00 MB (536,870,912 bytes)

Driver Version 6.14.11.7813

All drives are unfragmented, and there is plenty of free disk space. My reading of the minimum requirements for Creator2010 is that this should be more than sufficient, unless there's a specific conflict or incompatability I'm not aware of. Do you need any other system data to consider?

I've since had a reply from Roxio Support suggesting that I do a complete uninstall and reinstall of Creator2010, with very specific instructions about cleaning the registry and removing all applications files (which I've followed diligently). The re-installed completed successfully with no error messages, and will all other prrograms disabled from the MSConfig startup. Sadly, after starting the newly reinstalled program and accepting the latest update patches (no error messages or problems suggested at any stages), MyDVD has crashed at exactly the same point. That is, when I attempt to preview a project menu I get a message saying "Loading menu. Please wait." and a progress bar that remains blank. That's it. The preview never loads. I can close the preview window and retain control, but if I attempt to click any of the control buttons, MyDVD completely hangs and must be killed using Task Manager. If I bypass the preview and go direct to burning, the compilation hangs at the point of trying to compile menus. The combination of this suggests to me that problem is not with my video card or driver as previously suggested; the burn process surely doesn't rely on this.

So I'm at a dead end again. I'd appreciate any bright ideas.

Regards,

Rob

PC looks fine at a glance.

Let's do some simple tests…

Open MyDVD – Tools – Options – Render. Set it to Software.

Add New Movie – pick a single still picture and add it.

Nothing Else!!! (kiss)

Do a Save As and exit.

Start MyDVD and load that project.

Will it Preview?

Will it Render – Burn to ISO file?

Archived