• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 15 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Background Movie Not showing up beneath overlays

Humunculus

Question

I finally figured out that the "full motion buttons" I was looking for were actually Overlay Videos above buttons.

So I have my background Video, 5 overlays, one for each button, showing the first part of each video on the dvd.

Everything shows great in the preview. The background video runs beautifully as do each of the overlays.

I create the ISO and burn to DVD. My player shows my overlays, but the background video is blank.

Anyone have any ideas? Thanks,

Humunculus

5 answers to this question

I finally figured out that the "full motion buttons" I was looking for were actually Overlay Videos above buttons.

So I have my background Video, 5 overlays, one for each button, showing the first part of each video on the dvd.

Everything shows great in the preview. The background video runs beautifully as do each of the overlays.

I create the ISO and burn to DVD. My player shows my overlays, but the background video is blank.

Anyone have any ideas? Thanks,

Humunculus

"Overlay videos above buttons" - I have no ideas what you mean by this.

In Roxio (and other software) overlays are videos and/or photos that are added to the overlay tracks. They have nothing to do with menus.

You will have to explain step-by-step what you are doing :unsure:

"Overlay videos above buttons" - I have no ideas what you mean by this.

In Roxio (and other software) overlays are videos and/or photos that are added to the overlay tracks. They have nothing to do with menus.

You will have to explain step-by-step what you are doing :unsure:

Sure. My Bad for not being more clear.

We are in My DVD. I had previously seen menu systems where you will see the name of a video in a button, and an animated clip in a small frame above the button.

Sometimes the video and the the text together make up the button.

To duplicate my steps:

Right Click on the main video area, then choose "Change Menu Background".

You can choose a video for your background. Mine is 51 seconds long.

THEN

Go to DVD Menu--->Add Menu overlay.

A box will appear in the menu area.

You can resize that box, move it, etc. Right click on it. Choose "Show Settings"

Under "Source", choose the video from the videos you have added to this dvd.

You can repeat this for each of the videos on your DVD. I have 5 on mine. No Submenus

Then simply create your buttons for each video on the DVD beneath the overlays.

I have a background music video and 5 overlay windows with clips of the 5 episodes in the project moving simultaneously on the screen...

At least I do in the previews...

So This is what I did, and it works fine in Previews. But it doesn't show up that way on my DVD player.

If you need any farther information just ask. Here is a screenshot example of the results.

While this is a still, in the menu system all images are moving.

Humunculus

Shot0001-2.jpg

Sure. My Bad for not being more clear.

We are in My DVD. I had previously seen menu systems where you will see the name of a video in a button, and an animated clip in a small frame above the button.

Sometimes the video and the the text together make up the button.

To duplicate my steps:

Right Click on the main video area, then choose "Change Menu Background".

You can choose a video for your background. Mine is 51 seconds long.

THEN

Go to DVD Menu--->Add Menu overlay.

A box will appear in the menu area.

You can resize that box, move it, etc. Right click on it. Choose "Show Settings"

Under "Source", choose the video from the videos you have added to this dvd.

You can repeat this for each of the videos on your DVD. I have 5 on mine. No Submenus

Then simply create your buttons for each video on the DVD beneath the overlays.

I have a background music video and 5 overlay windows with clips of the 5 episodes in the project moving simultaneously on the screen...

At least I do in the previews...

So This is what I did, and it works fine in Previews. But it doesn't show up that way on my DVD player.

If you need any farther information just ask. Here is a screenshot example of the results.

While this is a still, in the menu system all images are moving.

Humunculus

Shot0001-2.jpg

Following you steps I was able to create a short test project and burn it to an iso file, load it into a virtual drive and it plays properly.

Your method will only work if you use a menu style that does not include the tumbnails. Actually your are basically what many of the menu styles (that have thumbnails) already do.

What menu style are you using in your project?

Following your steps I was able to create a short test project and burn it to an iso file, load it into a virtual drive and it plays properly.

Your method will only work if you use a menu style that does not include the thumbnails. Actually your are basically what many of the menu styles (that have thumbnails) already do.

What menu style are you using in your project?

First Off, I feel like an idiot. Had I selected a menu style with thumbnails to begin with, it would have cut my work in half.

I do not know where to look to see the which style I selected, and honestly I thought it made no difference because I was changing the elements anyway.

Given that my original setup only had text buttons before I added the overlays, I can only assume it was a non thumbnail style, but I will try to recreate what I did deliberately with a style that has no thumbnails, although it appears in most styles that even if you don't have thumbs for the main menu, you have them for the chapter menus, which I don't use.

On the lighter side, using overlays allows for some really cool effects that you cannot get with the standard menu/thumbnail setup.

These include soft and shaped edges, no border frame, and transparency.

Is there any way to reduce the thickness of the frame around the buttons?

Thanks for your response.

Humunculus

I tried again using the "Downtown" Menu style, which had no thumbnails on the main menu, only on the chapter submenu, which I don't use.

This time it worked perfectly. Thank You for the tip.

I still prefer the overlays to the thumbnails due to being able to eliminate, soften, and shape them.

Also I found out by accident, that you can overlay a thumbnail button also and either mask the overlay so that you get one image in the overlay mask inside the thumbnail, or make the overlay transparent without a mask to provide a ghost image.

Cool Stuff!

Humunculus

Archived