Dual Layer burn issue

talldavid

Question

Hi,

Hopefully someone can figure this out for me. I've been using Roxio Easy Media Creator 9 and have had no trouble burning DVD and CD's. I have a client that needs DL capacity and have created an image (AUDIO&VIDEO_TS) using DVD Architect 5 with all the appropriate settings for DL. When burning to disk, using copy to disk, the burn fails at 99% and throws an "invalid field in parameter list- illegal request[05/26/00]" error.

I have a memorex dvd+-530L drive with the latest firmware, although a bulletin board i read somewhere that this drive might be a LiteOn drive?? and there may be newer firmware for it. I started with memeorex disks and then tried verbatim and all failed at the same point. I've gone through the steps in Roxio's troubleshooting guide and still have failed burns.

It's a Windows XP box, Core 2 quad Intel, 4Ggs Ram and I also defragged the drive with the image, anythoughts here, this is my first venture in to dual layer burning, I may have missed something easy (i hope),

thanks,

David

9 answers to this question

Hi,

Hopefully someone can figure this out for me. I've been using Roxio Easy Media Creator 9 and have had no trouble burning DVD and CD's. I have a client that needs DL capacity and have created an image (AUDIO&VIDEO_TS) using DVD Architect 5 with all the appropriate settings for DL. When burning to disk, using copy to disk, the burn fails at 99% and throws an "invalid field in parameter list- illegal request[05/26/00]" error.

I have a memorex dvd+-530L drive with the latest firmware, although a bulletin board i read somewhere that this drive might be a LiteOn drive?? and there may be newer firmware for it. I started with memeorex disks and then tried verbatim and all failed at the same point. I've gone through the steps in Roxio's troubleshooting guide and still have failed burns.

It's a Windows XP box, Core 2 quad Intel, 4Ggs Ram and I also defragged the drive with the image, anythoughts here, this is my first venture in to dual layer burning, I may have missed something easy (i hope),

thanks,

David

I'd suggest you get some RW media to experiment with. If an attempt fails, simply erase and try a different way. When you get it working, then burn to R media.

It's cheaper than losing a disc with every failed attempt.

Lynn

Hi,

thanks,

David

I've been looking but I can't find anything on that drive (except problems). Does it have DL capability?

Have you any other programs to burn a DL? Try Imageburn (it's free) and let us know the result.

Copy protected video will not burn with Roxio.

It's original content. I'll try imageburn, I also started a helpdesk ticket with a burn log to Roxio support. Hopefully something will click into place.

I've been looking but I can't find anything on that drive (except problems). Does it have DL capability?

Yes the manual says it supports R9, but until I see it happen, I have my doubts...

I'd suggest you get some RW media to experiment with. If an attempt fails, simply erase and try a different way. When you get it working, then burn to R media.

Lynn

You find us some and post a link please?

According to this it doesn't at this firmware level..

post-97-1260832497.jpg

cd

You've obviously never done this, Lyn.

The OP is having trouble burning DVD-9. Tell us where in America you can get double-layer or dual-layer RW media ??

You've obviously never done this, Lyn.

The OP is having trouble burning DVD-9. Tell us where in America you can get double-layer or dual-layer RW media ??

Hey EveryOne,

Today I figured this out. Being completely new to the DL workflow, I wasn't aware of the fact that you need to insert a layer break. Unfortunately, Roxio doesn't tell you that when it tries to burn DL images, which sounds like a GREAT idea for product improvement. Since that information is crucial to burning dual layer disks.

I found an app called imgBurn (free) that does tell you this information, and tells you exactly where the break needs to be placed. their community site also is filled with step-by-step instructions on how to use the tool, and how to use a program called vobBlanker to create the layer break. ImgBurn is really slick, it tells you everything you need to know BEFORE you try to burn any media.

Once I went through the steps, my burn works great. I'll still use Roxio for basic burning, but imgBurn is the way to go for dual-layer.

hope this helps, and thanks everyone for your help,

David

Archived