Video Capture problem

csblue

Question

Okay, let me set up what I am trying to do, so I can get the best help possible.

First, my system:

HP G60 laptop

Pentium dual core CPU, 2.1 Ghz, 4GB ram, 64 bit system

Running Windows7 Home Premium.

Graphics: Mobile Intel 4 series express chipset family.

I am using Creator 2010 pro.

What I am trying to do:

I want to take a DVD with a concert on it into Videowave and edit out the commercials from it,

Then output it back to a DVD with the same quality I started with (I hope).

The first problem I have encountered is, I cannot capture/import the VOB files from the DVD.

The capture/import screen just shows a blank window when I choose my DVD-RW drive.

Then I tried copying all the VOB and IFO files to a folder on my hard drive. Then I tried both add photo/video

and capture/import from the hard drive folder.

When I tried add photo/video, I got the following error message:

One or more of the video files you are trying to add cannot be edited and have not been added.

When I tried capture/import, it gives me no option to import from the folder. It shows on the left screen my webcam

and on the right screen, blank, with no recently imported files. The only other option is to

select my DVD drive on the left screen instead of the webcam, and when I do that it shows a blank window again.

There is nothing listed to import.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Steven

I don't see it that way…

The problem was: garbage in = problems!

I have done DVD's from my Recorder since 2004. I have used 'plus', 'dash' and even DVD-RAM.

In that time I have had trouble with 2 discs. I gave them a second chance but in the end, they went in my recycle bin.

You get yourself some DVD+RW media, good stuff – Verbatim, and practice with it. Bet it works just fine…

But if you still have problems, stop back in and we will go over them! This stuff should work!

Oh, it worked alright, although with problems. That's not what I'm talking about here. I'm talking about the problems with the program.

No one has answered why I should have to change the extensions of .vob files to .mpg for them to work in this suite. No one has talked about the output quality being nowhere close to the input quality. That's what I'm talking about, regardless of the problems in working with a particular disc.

Oh, it worked alright, although with problems. That's not what I'm talking about here. I'm talking about the problems with the program.

No one has answered why I should have to change the extensions of .vob files to .mpg for them to work in this suite. No one has talked about the output quality being nowhere close to the input quality. That's what I'm talking about, regardless of the problems in working with a particular disc.

I do not have to change vob extensions to mpg and my output quality is identical to the input quality. The problem is not with the program but with your source files and how they were created on your recorder.

I do not have to change vob extensions to mpg and my output quality is identical to the input quality. The problem is not with the program but with your source files and how they were created on your recorder.

How do you get the output quality to match the input quality?

How do you get the output quality to match the input quality?

I check them in VideoWave, like this with a right click on the clip and read its' Properties:

post-39730-1261357378.jpg

Then pick the one that matches in MyDVD:

post-39730-1261357411.jpg

Or set it to Same As Original. Remember you can never make it better in Video work and setting it higher will often degrade the quality.

I thought I had set mine same as original, but maybe I'm wrong. I might try again and see how it renders. Does it always take so long to burn?

What do you mean by long? Burning generally is only dependent on your burner and system, its not "defined" by the program. It's the rendering to the DVD compliant format that takes the time.

BTW, when I said "identical" I should have said "nearly identical" since there is almost always some degradation.

Okay, thanks. I guess I meant rendering for DVD. Does that always take a long time?

Also, in your examples above, did you send the production to MY DVD straight from Videowave or did you export it to a format of your choice and then open it later in MY DVD to acheive the sought after quality?

It is a DVD+R which I recorded from the tv, but I can't add VOB files from a folder on my hard drive either.

It is gone now, but I seem to recall my first DVD Recorder could format a +R/RW for VR format… That format cannot be imported and enjoys little portability.

Easy to test, pop it in the DVD Recorder and see if it will Finalize or Close the disc.

I know my DVD-RAM discs will ONLY import from the disc and never from the copied files… that is weird!

You are saying "I can't" but not telling us what happens… can't see your screen from here so we need you to tell us what is going on.

It is gone now, but I seem to recall my first DVD Recorder could format a +R/RW for VR format… That format cannot be imported and enjoys little portability.

Easy to test, pop it in the DVD Recorder and see if it will Finalize or Close the disc.

I know my DVD-RAM discs will ONLY import from the disc and never from the copied files… that is weird!

You are saying "I can't" but not telling us what happens… can't see your screen from here so we need you to tell us what is going on.

Thanks for your response. I'm not sure what you mean when you say VR format. No matter. My DVD is finalized and will play in any DVD player. It has two one-hour concerts on it that I want to edit the commercials out of.

Here's what I've tried. I open Videowave and check, create a new production. I am on Timeline. I click to capture/import and that screen opens. On the top left I select my DVD-RW drive. It tells me to wait. Then, in the left screen appears what is called movie 1, but it is only a two minute clip (2:31), which is the first commercial on the disk. Under it there is blue text that says, chapters. If I click on that, it shows below, 14 chapters but they are all greyed out with no playtime on them ( all showing 0 min. 0 sec.), except chapter one, whice says playtime - 2 min. 31 sec. If I import it all I get is the 2 min. 31 sec. commercial, none of the rest of the disc. Any ideas?

Thanks, Steven

Thanks for your response. I'm not sure what you mean when you say VR format. No matter. My DVD is finalized and will play in any DVD player. It has two one-hour concerts on it that I want to edit the commercials out of.

Here's what I've tried. I open Videowave and check, create a new production. I am on Timeline. I click to capture/import and that screen opens. On the top left I select my DVD-RW drive. It tells me to wait. Then, in the left screen appears what is called movie 1, but it is only a two minute clip (2:31), which is the first commercial on the disk. Under it there is blue text that says, chapters. If I click on that, it shows below, 14 chapters but they are all greyed out with no playtime on them ( all showing 0 min. 0 sec.), except chapter one, whice says playtime - 2 min. 31 sec. If I import it all I get is the 2 min. 31 sec. commercial, none of the rest of the disc. Any ideas?

Thanks, Steven

To have any chance of it working at all, you don't bring the files into VideoWave, from the DVD. Make a folder on your hard drive, and COPY the files, from the DVD, to that folder you just made, using My Computer.

Then, open up VideoWave (Edit Video-Advanced), click on Add Photo/Video, browse to the Video_TS folder, inside of the folder you made, and bring in the .vobs. You'll want to bring them all in, when prompted.

Also, if you don't have a DL burner, you are going to have to burn those movies separately, if you want the video to remain close to the same as what is on the DVD.

Well, I finally finished my first project and I'd like to report that I am less than impressed with Roxio Creator 2010 pro:

I was finally able to import my video files by renaming the file extensions from .vob to .mpg. Don't know why that works, don't know why I had to do that.

I spent most of yesterday editing out the commercials from my concert project in Videowave. In one portion on the timeline, the video would constantly freeze. I would move the time marker forward towards a commercial area and when I hit play the video would stay frozen while I could hear the music. After about 20 seconds the video would suddenly zoom fast forward until it had caught up with the audio. This made it difficult to pinpoint an editing spot. After several other complications that I won't get into, I finally got the video all edited and moved it into My DVD for adding titles and chapters.

I spent this morning working in My DVD, and when I was happy I sent the project to burn to DVD. I took over five hours for this Roxio program to process this DVD. That is unbelievably slow to me.

All through the whole project I set the highest settings so that my output would be comparible to what my input was. But it just was not to be. My original looks almost high def, as it was recorded off of a HD channel, even though I recorded it to a DVD+R. My finished product, after running it through the Roxio editing process, is less than HD looking... way less. There is shadowing on the titles and on slow movement. In pan shots the detail is sorely lacking. This video looks to be at least one or two generations removed from the original. A very lackluster result, I'd say.

I am fairly disappointed with Creator 2010 pro at this point. At best it seems to me to be a glorified DVD copy software, not a true editing suite. And, my Roxio Easy Creator 8 on my old XP Desktop is much easier to use, user friendly and, as far as project results... I don't see any improvement on the part of Creator 2010 pro. I had to get it because Media Creator 8 will not work on Windows7 or 64 bit systems but, I must say, I'm still looking for the PRO in Creator 2010 pro...

All in all, I can't believe it took me this much time and problems to create a less than impressive product.

Thanks to those who helped me get through this,

Steven

P.S. The finished product will not play in Roxio's own players, HP DVD play or Roxio Cineplayer. They will not recognize the menus. It does, however, play fine in Windows Media Player. Go figure!

To have any chance of it working at all, you don't bring the files into VideoWave, from the DVD. Make a folder on your hard drive, and COPY the files, from the DVD, to that folder you just made, using My Computer.

Then, open up VideoWave (Edit Video-Advanced), click on Add Photo/Video, browse to the Video_TS folder, inside of the folder you made, and bring in the .vobs. You'll want to bring them all in, when prompted.

Also, if you don't have a DL burner, you are going to have to burn those movies separately, if you want the video to remain close to the same as what is on the DVD.

If you read my original post, you'll see that I've already done this. No matter whether it is a disk or .vob files in a folder on my hard drive, Videowave will not see them. I have now tried the same thing with Copy & Convert. Same problem. That program will not see any .vob files either. What gives with this Roxio suite?

It sounds as though your disc is corrupt.

A fragmented disc can play, Players are no judge of a video file as they are made to swallow all sorts of errors.

An Editor will tolerate no file errors! Lets be sure of something else here. There is a big difference between a +R vs a +RW vs a –R or a –RW disc!!! They are all handled in a completely different manner by a DVD Recorder.

You said your disc was +R, is that correct?

One last straw, copy a *.VOB file to your HDD and rename it *.mpg. What happens?

If you read my original post, you'll see that I've already done this. No matter whether it is a disk or .vob files in a folder on my hard drive, Videowave will not see them. I have now tried the same thing with Copy & Convert. Same problem. That program will not see any .vob files either. What gives with this Roxio suite?

How was the original source DVD created?

Can you play the source DVD on a stand alone DVD player? Not the recorder on which it was created. Can you play it through WMP? Can you play a vob file using WMP?

I don't think the problem is with Roxio (I have no problem with any adding vobs to Videowave)

Sorry about that. My bad.

Well, try something else. Change the file extension from .vob to .mpg, and see if they will come in.

Thank you grandpabruce and myguggi.

If you read my above posts you will see how I created the disc. I will try the .mpg suggestion from you both and get back to you.

Thanks, Steven

No, you have not explained how you created the DVD :rolleyes: . All you said is you recorded it from a TV. What make/model of recorder did you use? What about my other questions?

Okay, by changing the extensions to .mpg, I have been able to insert them into Videowave. I don't know why that works but it does. Can you explain? Meanwhile, I will keep you posted on how it progresses.

This brings up another question though: Will I get a higher quality end product (after editing out the commercials) by using Videowave or using Copy & Convert?

Thanks, Steven.

No, you have not explained how you created the DVD :rolleyes: . All you said is you recorded it from a TV. What make/model of recorder did you use? What about my other questions?

Okay myguggi, to answer your questions:

I created the DVD+R on a stand alone Philips DVDR3400 recorder. I can play the video on a stand alone DVD player other than the recorder. I can playh it on my computer video player and on WMP. I also can play a .vob file on WMP, although I do notice something interesting with this DVD folder. There are five .vob files, each a different length in time. no matter which one I choose, WMP plays it as the two minute commercial at the beginning of the disc, NO MATTER WHICH VOB FILE I PLAY! BUT, as soon as I changed the extension to .mpg it shows the movie portions in proper order, and then WMP plays them as the movie parts they actually are. I hope this answers your questions.

Thanks, Steven.

I don't see it that way…

The problem was: garbage in = problems!

I have done DVD's from my Recorder since 2004. I have used 'plus', 'dash' and even DVD-RAM.

In that time I have had trouble with 2 discs. I gave them a second chance but in the end, they went in my recycle bin.

You get yourself some DVD+RW media, good stuff – Verbatim, and practice with it. Bet it works just fine…

But if you still have problems, stop back in and we will go over them! This stuff should work!

Okay, by changing the extensions to .mpg, I have been able to insert them into Videowave. I don't know why that works but it does. Can you explain? Meanwhile, I will keep you posted on how it progresses.

This brings up another question though: Will I get a higher quality end product (after editing out the commercials) by using Videowave or using Copy & Convert?

Thanks, Steven.

Okay myguggi, to answer your questions:

I created the DVD+R on a stand alone Philips DVDR3400 recorder. I can play the video on a stand alone DVD player other than the recorder. I can playh it on my computer video player and on WMP. I also can play a .vob file on WMP, although I do notice something interesting with this DVD folder. There are five .vob files, each a different length in time. no matter which one I choose, WMP plays it as the two minute commercial at the beginning of the disc, NO MATTER WHICH VOB FILE I PLAY! BUT, as soon as I changed the extension to .mpg it shows the movie portions in proper order, and then WMP plays them as the movie parts they actually are. I hope this answers your questions.

Thanks, Steven.

Thanks Steven. The reason I asked about the recorder is that they very often do not create "DVD compliant" DVDs and are often in the DVD+VR format which other DVD players do not accept. There is still something not "standard" about your DVD as indicated by the different file sizes for the vobs. If the vobs should be the same size (about 1GB) if they are all from one "movie"

There will be no difference in quality when using VW or VCC if you select the same output quality. If you want to edit then of course the only option is VW.

Thanks Steven. The reason I asked about the recorder is that they very often do not create "DVD compliant" DVDs and are often in the DVD+VR format which other DVD players do not accept. There is still something not "standard" about your DVD as indicated by the different file sizes for the vobs. If the vobs should be the same size (about 1GB) if they are all from one "movie"

No, maybe I didn't explain it right. The files sizes are the same, it is the times that are different (the running times).

Well, there's been no responses all day, so maybe I didn't explain my problem well enough.

I cannot apply or import VOB files into Videowave. Does anybody know why or can you just not do this in Videowave?

Videowave shows VOB files in the file compatibility list and the help section says you can import files from a DVD disc, so what is wrong?

Preferred method is to Save the VW Project and close.

Open MyDVD and add the saved VW Project.

Note: projects are a series of notes and do not contain one drop of video. They require the files to be in the same locations there were when the save was made.

Thanks for that. I went back and re-rendered my video, checking the quality settings as you suggested. I found that I was actually trying to render in higher quality than the original, like you said. When I matched the settings the results were much more appealing. I guess my rush to judgement on the program suite was not really fair. All in all it seems to be working pretty well now, thanks to your help. Thanks again. Also, now that I know that it takes a long time to render a project for DVD, I guess I'll just have to be patient and live with that one. I am used to projects happening much faster and I wish there was a way to speed up that process.

Steven

Archived