• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 11 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Compatability with Black Magic Intensity Pro capture card?

homevideos

Question

I have just purchased/installed Creator Pro 2010 and the SP1 for that product. In the Roxio Media Import window I am able to select the Black Magic Intensity Pro video card (listed as "Decklinc Video Capture"). The connection to the card is via S-video. The only capture options that are given are: "DVD LP" and "VCD" (nothing at native S-video resolution).

While the preview window shows the video just fine, when I press "capture now", the preview window goes away for a few seconds and then an error message pops up which says: "Unknown capture error. Save file? Y/N". The resulting saved file is 0KB in size.

Is it possible to get Roxio to recognize this capture card? I was able to locate a free open-source product that successfully captures from this card (VirtualDub). If a generic/free software product can successfully acquire video from this card, I certaintly hope that there is a way to do it with the pruchased Roxio software! Any ideas?

5 answers to this question

:lol::D:lol: You have this one that comes with a Squid?

post-39730-1261141278.jpg

Your card produces a digital signal. You can probably set the quality with the software they included.

Roxio will accept the signal and you have those settings to pick what you want it saved as.

DV is the best, better than any S-Video input.

DV HQ is equal but stored as mpeg which is not lossless.

But it is up to the drivers that came with your card as to whether Roxio will see it or not. Check with their Tech Support.

:lol::D:lol: You have this one that comes with a Squid?

post-39730-1261141278.jpg

Your card produces a digital signal. You can probably set the quality with the software they included.

Roxio will accept the signal and you have those settings to pick what you want it saved as.

DV is the best, better than any S-Video input.

DV HQ is equal but stored as mpeg which is not lossless.

But it is up to the drivers that came with your card as to whether Roxio will see it or not. Check with their Tech Support.

Yes, it has a squid, but not with as many arms. The card has 3 ports. An HDMI in, HDMI out, and a squid which has 11 tentacles (Input: R-Y, Y, B-Y, L&R audio; Output: R-Y, Y, B-Y, L&R audio, SPDIF/AES) along with an S-video tentacle that hooks to two of the squid's tentacles in order to in/out S-video signals :blink:

It can capture in a variety of formats:

http://www.blackmagic-design.com/products/...sity/techspecs/

It can also up/down convert 1080i <-> SD 16:9 letter box or anamorphic, and upconvert 720p to 1080i.

What I'm confounded by is the fact that the preview window shows the image I'm trying to capture (S-video) just fine (audio, video). That makes me think the input from the card to the Roxio software is working just fine. However, when I hit 'capture', Roxio chokes with the "Unknown capture error. Save file? Y/N" and a 0KB file.

Bottom line, why does the preview window work and not the capture function? Seems like a bug to me :huh:

It is not a "bug" just because something does not do what you want…

Yes, but it seems odd that part of the software in Roxio works with the card just fine (the preview window in the capture program recieves both audio and video) and yet the capture function in that same program does not work. Oh well.

To get 'in spec' I've purchased the Roxio USB dongle. Capture works, but burning to DVD has distortion problems when capture is DV (and quality problems when capturing at one of the DVD lower resolution settings); so on to some more forum research .....

Yes, but it seems odd that part of the software in Roxio works with the card just fine (the preview window in the capture program recieves both audio and video) and yet the capture function in that same program does not work. Oh well.

To get 'in spec' I've purchased the Roxio USB dongle. Capture works, but burning to DVD has distortion problems when capture is DV (and quality problems when capturing at one of the DVD lower resolution settings); so on to some more forum research .....

Now you will find what I said about "bugs" true… The Roxio Video Capture USB device will only work with some capture programs!

There is no reason to even install that software, Creator 2010 has everything it has and more! For example V2D cannot do any HD or any data disc burns. I don't think it can do any widescreen captures, but I am not through experimenting with that (time)??? It was a stripped out version of Creator 2009.

Personally I think your Black Magic card was about as good as it gets! You just have to use their software to capture with.

It is not a "bug" just because something does not do what you want…

It either works or it does not and for this card, it does not… Nor does it say anywhere that this card will be compatible with any and all software ever written.

Now I am assuming You have set your signal to S-Video within Roxio capture???

But if it doesn't work, then you have to use the included software that came with the card. That is why they include some software, they know it won't work with everybody else's…

Then you use VideoWave to edit and MyDVD to author your discs.

Archived