Naming individuals in group pictures

Jack In GA

Question

Here is a general question that is only indirectly related to Roxio software.

The Question:

Is there a way to create successive names for individuals in a still picture in a video slide show, where there are a group of individuals?

The Background:

I am working on a large project, wherein many class pictures are presented from school days of long ago. I have a number of these shots in the current video. I use the Ken Burns effect to pan and zoom across the photos where there are as many as 40 to 50 individuals in the group shots. Though many of the individuals are known (some are not), there is no apparent way to apply text to the photo with pointers along with the names as each person passes across the screen. If there is a way to do this, I am unaware of it.

In the old days, with a physical picture, one could sometimes create an outline, number the silhouettes, and provide a keyed list of names to match the numbers. While this works after a fashion with a photographic print, it is not suitable for a video, where the scene is passing steadily before the viewer, who has no opportunity to go back and forth between a picture, a numbered silhouette, and a list.

The community here is a large knowledge base, so I thought I would pose this question and see if anyone has a method where this might be done.

What I am looking for:

I would be willing to use an external piece of software, if this can be done, which could be outputted as a video file to be inserted into the master video. Or maybe there is an extant function of which I am unaware in one of the Creator 2010 modules that allows this. Maybe. Maybe not. Anyone have any suggestions?

7 answers to this question

I just tried a quick test using a photo that has 3 people in it. I set the display duration to 60 secs and then created a zoom&pan to zoom in on faces and also pan from one face to the other. Then as each face becomes "centered" I added the name of the person on the text track. I also had the text fade in and out as the face came into view and then passed out of view. It actually worked quite well. Of course with a lot of faces in a photo this would be a tedious job. Pointers to faces could perhaps be done with overlays.

Thanks for your reply. I have done something similar with four or five people. However, you nailed it when you pointed out this would be a tedious job! Try it with 12 years of school pictures of 30-40 people for both myself and wife's school years. I do not know how many consecutive text tracks Roxio allows, but I suspect that I would find out soon enough -- likely it would not be enough.

This realization lead me to ask my question. I have thought about trying to use an audio track instead where one just speaks the names as the faces slowly pan by. I think this might work best in a pinch, but I still wanted to know if someone had actually addressed and solved this problem.

Walt I wonder if the exponent caret (shift+6) above the names would work? Or greater than/smaller than could go next to the names.

Good idea. But as was pointed out the problem comes with the sheer number of people in an old time group photo.

Thanks for your reply. I have done something similar with four or five people. However, you nailed it when you pointed out this would be a tedious job! Try it with 12 years of school pictures of 30-40 people for both myself and wife's school years. I do not know how many consecutive text tracks Roxio allows, but I suspect that I would find out soon enough -- likely it would not be enough.

This realization lead me to ask my question. I have thought about trying to use an audio track instead where one just speaks the names as the faces slowly pan by. I think this might work best in a pinch, but I still wanted to know if someone had actually addressed and solved this problem.

Good idea. But as was pointed out the problem comes with the sheer number of people in an old time group photo.

You could zoom in on 4 or 5 people at a time and identify them. There should be no problem with text tracks.

You could zoom in on 4 or 5 people at a time and identify them. There should be no problem with text tracks.

Hmm yea, good idea and since school photos usually are in rows, what about panning across each row with a text crawl across the bottom, running under the people being named, that says "Top row, left to right: Jane Smith, George Jones," etc., then a subsequent pan and crawl, "Middle Row, left to right: Susie Jackson, Albert Green ... etc" Then everyone's name would be in the vicinity as their faces and people could reference them as they scrolled by. Might reduce some of the tedium.

Just another idea---Have you maybe thought of using a Narration (your voice using a mic and the narration option in Videowave) giving the names of each person as you scan across the screen ??? If there are 30 to 40 people in each photo, you might have to time the photo for as long as it takes you to speak ??

Frank...

Just another idea---Have you maybe thought of using a Narration (your voice using a mic and the narration option in Videowave) giving the names of each person as you scan across the screen ??? If there are 30 to 40 people in each photo, you might have to time the photo for as long as it takes you to speak ??

Frank...

Sure have. See my 4:18 PM comment.

Everyone has had good suggestions, but no one has as yet offered a more elegant solution. Synchronizing text crawls and pans would be tricky, tricky and a lot of work. Since the timing would be so critical, it is likely that this would be a metastable solution at best.

Narration is a way of solving some of the timing problems. After the suggestion of using the caret character, I even thought of just putting a text caret or maybe an asterisk on the screen and then leaving it stationary while panning and speaking each name as the caret passes the person's face. But one reason I did not jump on this weeks ago, was that like a lot of people, I am not entirely satisfied with my voice. Oh sure, other people have to put up with it <grin>, but I seldom have to listen to it and frankly, I am not impressed when I do hear myself. A voice actor I am not.

But dog gone it, there should be a way to deal with this. After all people have been taking group pictures for close to 150 years (+/-) and chances are group pictures will continue to be taken far into the future.

Here is a general question that is only indirectly related to Roxio software.

The Question:

Is there a way to create successive names for individuals in a still picture in a video slide show, where there are a group of individuals?

The Background:

I am working on a large project, wherein many class pictures are presented from school days of long ago. I have a number of these shots in the current video. I use the Ken Burns effect to pan and zoom across the photos where there are as many as 40 to 50 individuals in the group shots. Though many of the individuals are known (some are not), there is no apparent way to apply text to the photo with pointers along with the names as each person passes across the screen. If there is a way to do this, I am unaware of it.

In the old days, with a physical picture, one could sometimes create an outline, number the silhouettes, and provide a keyed list of names to match the numbers. While this works after a fashion with a photographic print, it is not suitable for a video, where the scene is passing steadily before the viewer, who has no opportunity to go back and forth between a picture, a numbered silhouette, and a list.

The community here is a large knowledge base, so I thought I would pose this question and see if anyone has a method where this might be done.

What I am looking for:

I would be willing to use an external piece of software, if this can be done, which could be outputted as a video file to be inserted into the master video. Or maybe there is an extant function of which I am unaware in one of the Creator 2010 modules that allows this. Maybe. Maybe not. Anyone have any suggestions?

I just tried a quick test using a photo that has 3 people in it. I set the display duration to 60 secs and then created a zoom&pan to zoom in on faces and also pan from one face to the other. Then as each face becomes "centered" I added the name of the person on the text track. I also had the text fade in and out as the face came into view and then passed out of view. It actually worked quite well. Of course with a lot of faces in a photo this would be a tedious job. Pointers to faces could perhaps be done with overlays.

Archived