• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 16 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Disc Image Loader uses grabs memory

Guest lduguay

Question

Guest lduguay

I run Windows 7 64 Ultimate and Roxio Creator 2010 Pro and i have 6GB of physical memory.

So i load an 8GB iso in an emulated drive using the Disc Image Loader. All good, except that every time the application tells me that there is a new driver and i need to reboot.

I copy the emulated DVD content to my local hard disk. BTW, somehow, my copy rate is extremely slow about 3.75 MB/sec.

After a while, my computer stops responding, so i painfully bring up the resource monitor only to find out that 9GB is allocated to Windows. Ejecting the emulated DVD restores the memory usage back to ~ 1.5GB

Can anyone replicate this, because the disc image loader is pretty much useless for me, unless i buy another 6GB of memory.

23 answers to this question

Guest lduguay
Yes after putting my foot in my mouth, I loaded a BD ISO into one and played it…

Actually there are quite a few out there and I believe they are better than Roxio's… MagicDisc is one I use.

After reading your post, i am not sure if i understand you were able to replicate the problem i described :unsure:

In fact, the allocated RAM, is not associated with RoxioImageLoader, it is use by the Windows 7 kernel. I am *almost* sure i did not have this problem with Vista 64.

I see if i can try/buy MagicDisc, thx.

So i load an 8GB iso in an emulated drive using the Disc Image Loader. All good, except that every time the application tells me that there is a new driver and i need to reboot.

I copy the emulated DVD content to my local hard disk. BTW, somehow, my copy rate is extremely slow about 3.75 MB/sec.

You need to clarify what you posted above.

The driver issue?

Why do you copy the emulated DVD content to my local hard disk? Your 8GB Image is on your HD isn't it?

cd

Guest lduguay
You need to clarify what you posted above.

The driver issue?

Why do you copy the emulated DVD content to my local hard disk? Your 8GB Image is on your HD isn't it?

cd

When i click on the Load Disc Image application, i always get this message box" The Disc Image Loader driver was updated. The new version will be used after the next restart."

Could be a driver issue, but i remember having the same message box with Roxio Creator 2009 under Vista 64 and Vista 32 on my previous computer build.

So, yes,

I load a .iso hosted on a physical local drive.

Loads fine, starts WMP.

I close WMP

Open windows explorer, and copy the AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS directories to another physical drive.

When i click on the Load Disc Image application, i always get this message box" The Disc Image Loader driver was updated. The new version will be used after the next restart."

Could be a driver issue, but i remember having the same message box with Roxio Creator 2009 under Vista 64 and Vista 32 on my previous computer build.

So, yes,

I load a .iso hosted on a physical local drive.

Loads fine, starts WMP.

I close WMP

Open windows explorer, and copy the AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS directories to another physical drive.

I am experimenting with W7 Windows Media Center, and AFAIK, it does not support the .iso format directly, but plays .vob files just fine. I just want to host my purchased collection of DVD on a HD, and use WMC to play them without hunting for the DVD disc.

How many emulated drives do you have showing in My Computer?

What do you show in Device Manager, like the pic below?

When you load a ISO in Disc Image Loader, it starts WMP?

Disc image loader is designed to play the image in it's software..

Ok, I get why you want the Video_TS format...

If all you want to do is turn a ISO Image file into a Video_TS folder set use Video Copy and Convert!

I have W-7 x64 on a multi boot system to check that's why I asked for clarification.

post-97-1261236457.jpg

cd

Guest lduguay
How many emulated drives do you have showing in My Computer? 1 the L: drive

What do you show in Device Manager, like the pic below? It shows Roxio SoftScsi Host Adapter (AMD 64). I have an I7 Intel CPU!!

When you load a ISO in Disc Image Loader, it starts WMP? yes

Disc image loader is designed to play the image in it's software.. I did not install CinePlayer

Ok, I get why you want the Video_TS format...

I have W-7 x64 on a multi boot system to check that's why I asked for clarification. Thx

post-97-1261236457.jpg

cd

Guest lduguay
Disc Image Loader and Cineplayer are two different applications..

Did you see my recommendation to use Video Copy and Convert?

How did you accomplish that Creator 2010 doesn't have a custom install?

cd

Hmm, i dont remember how, but i do not have CinePlayer installed...

I will try Video Copy and Convert, will report later

Thx

I am a long time Creator user since the Adaptec times, and this is the first time i see this problem with this emulated drive. And by the looks of it, it might be an install problem. I googled and seach this forum before posting, i could not find any other user reporting even a remotely similar problem.

I've been *assigned* a Wedding slideshow/video project for my dear friends, and i am not too keen to uninstall Roxio at this point.

Will report when i do.

Thx you all

Then don't use it! It is really that simple…

I use one called Magic ISO with XP-Vista-Win7 and have never had a reason to change from it!

Take a look - MagicISO

Guest lduguay
post-97-1261237792.jpg

cd

So i tried your suggestion Copy&Convert, it works very fast but somehow the resulting .vob files are severely corrupted.

Copying from the .iso directly (Using the virtual drive) is slow but the output is prestine.

So no Cineplayer here:

th_56939_RoxioMenu_122_362lo.jpg

Guest lduguay
I do not a W7 installed so cannot realy test anything under those conditions.

Under Vista 64, I have no problems with anything that you are having problems with. I crated an 8GB iso, created a virtual drive and loaded the iso and it plays perfectly. I can easily copy the Video_TS folder from the virtual drive to a hard drive. Nowhere is there any indication that the memory is being grabbed by anything.

Either W7 and C2010 have problems regarding virtual drives or your install of C2010 is corrupt.

I am a long time Creator user since the Adaptec times, and this is the first time i see this problem with this emulated drive. And by the looks of it, it might be an install problem. I googled and seach this forum before posting, i could not find any other user reporting even a remotely similar problem.

I've been *assigned* a Wedding slideshow/video project for my dear friends, and i am not too keen to uninstall Roxio at this point.

Will report when i do.

Thx you all

So i tried your suggestion Copy&Convert, it works very fast but somehow the resulting .vob files are severely corrupted.

Copying from the .iso directly (Using the virtual drive) is slow but the output is prestine.

So no Cineplayer here:

Cineplayer not in the Roxio Creator 2010 programs looks like a install problem..

Video Copy and Convert should handle the conversion without corruption.

I would think the image file has a problem then...

I've never heard of using the emulated drive the way you have!

cd

So no Cineplayer here:

I am quite confused on what you are really trying to do and what you are doing.

Could you clearly state what it is you want to do, what (step-by-step) you are doing?

Guest lduguay
Then don't use it! It is really that simple…

I use one called Magic ISO with XP-Vista-Win7 and have never had a reason to change from it!

Take a look - MagicISO

Thanks for the linky Jim.

:)

Beats me, I didn't think it was possible to create an emulated drive that exceed your RAM…

Does RAM really have anything to do with an emulated drive? I have 1.5GB on my XP system and have no problem loading a >4GB iso and playing it. If the file were really being loaded into RAM from the hard drive it would take more then a couple of seconds.

Of course I may be totally wrong in how a virtual drive really works. :blink:

Guest lduguay
I am quite confused on what you are really trying to do and what you are doing.

Could you clearly state what it is you want to do, what (step-by-step) you are doing?

My ultimate goal is to see if i can effectively use Windows Media Center in a dedicated HTPC, for my music and home-made videos on Windows 7. I own a Yamaha MCX-1000 to hold my purchased music (With all the associated DRM). It's a nice piece of hardware, but my wife finds it a bit difficult to remember the artist name, and titles. She would like to be able to browse through the CD's front covers as well as a good search function, specifying a partial match by artist, song, etc.

I found that WMC works pretty well for that. So i would like include our home-made DVDs (Mostly trips, and friend gatherings) i did throughout the years. Instead of hunting for those DVD's, i tought it would be easier to host them on my soon to be HTPC.

So i have all those .iso that i keep on my PC's hard-drive as a backup. AFAIK, WMC is able to read .VOB files but not .iso.

My initial idea was to mount the .iso into a virtual drive and simply copy the VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS directories to my HD. So i tried and it works pretty well, besides the problem i stated on my first post for large .iso.

So now i am experimenting with AVCHD. I was able to transfer all my video clips and pictures from our last trip to Italy to a double layer DVD using CUDA encoding :) . Besides small artifacts here and there, the end result is satisfactory.

This is what i do step by step.

1. Load up Roxio Creator 2010 Pro.

2. Select the "Load Disc Image"

3. I get the usual "The Disc image Loader driver was updated. The new version will be used after the next restart" popup. I click on the OK button.

4. I the click on the Search... button, and select Browse... from the drop-down menu.

5. Point to my .iso backup directory

6. Click on Start search button

7. Select my Movie (on my D:\ drive) and click on Add selected..., then close.

8. At this point i have an Emulated Drive on assigned to the drive letter H, and my movie in the Disc Image List. So i click the load button

9. Almost immediatly, Windows Media Player starts showing the movie. I click on the close application X box.

10. I start Windows explorer and point the the H:\ drive.

11. I select the two directories and perform a copy operation to my C:\ drive.

12. The copy operation begins, and after a while my PC is very slow to respond.

13. I bring up the task manager, select the performance tab, and i find that all my physical memory is being allocated by Windows 7

OMG, the funny thing i just realized while typing, is that i could just insert my original DVD and copy the directory structure to my HD. :blink: That would not work for my extensive collection of DVD and BR i bought. I would still need to insert the original DVD/BR into the HTPC BR reader. :huh:

Oh well....

My ultimate goal is to see if i can effectively use Windows Media Center in a dedicated HTPC, for my music and home-made videos on Windows 7. I own a Yamaha MCX-1000 to hold my purchased music (With all the associated DRM). It's a nice piece of hardware, but my wife finds it a bit difficult to remember the artist name, and titles. She would like to be able to browse through the CD's front covers as well as a good search function, specifying a partial match by artist, song, etc.

I found that WMC works pretty well for that. So i would like include our home-made DVDs (Mostly trips, and friend gatherings) i did throughout the years. Instead of hunting for those DVD's, i tought it would be easier to host them on my soon to be HTPC.

So i have all those .iso that i keep on my PC's hard-drive as a backup. AFAIK, WMC is able to read .VOB files but not .iso.

My initial idea was to mount the .iso into a virtual drive and simply copy the VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS directories to my HD. So i tried and it works pretty well, besides the problem i stated on my first post for large .iso.

So now i am experimenting with AVCHD. I was able to transfer all my video clips and pictures from our last trip to Italy to a double layer DVD using CUDA encoding :) . Besides small artifacts here and there, the end result is satisfactory.

This is what i do step by step.

1. Load up Roxio Creator 2010 Pro.

2. Select the "Load Disc Image"

3. I get the usual "The Disc image Loader driver was updated. The new version will be used after the next restart" popup. I click on the OK button.

4. I the click on the Search... button, and select Browse... from the drop-down menu.

5. Point to my .iso backup directory

6. Click on Start search button

7. Select my Movie (on my D:\ drive) and click on Add selected..., then close.

8. At this point i have an Emulated Drive on assigned to the drive letter H, and my movie in the Disc Image List. So i click the load button

9. Almost immediatly, Windows Media Player starts showing the movie. I click on the close application X box.

10. I start Windows explorer and point the the H:\ drive.

11. I select the two directories and perform a copy operation to my C:\ drive.

12. The copy operation begins, and after a while my PC is very slow to respond.

13. I bring up the task manager, select the performance tab, and i find that all my physical memory is being allocated by Windows 7

OMG, the funny thing i just realized while typing, is that i could just insert my original DVD and copy the directory structure to my HD. :blink: That would not work for my extensive collection of DVD and BR i bought. I would still need to insert the original DVD/BR into the HTPC BR reader. :huh:

Oh well....

As you have just realized, you can simply copy your home made DVDs to a folder set on your DVD. There is no need to fool around with iso files :rolleyes:

Commercial discs cannot be copied of course, as you know.

Guest lduguay
As you have just realized, you can simply copy your home made DVDs to a folder set on your DVD. There is no need to fool around with iso files :rolleyes:

Commercial discs cannot be copied of course, as you know.

Well aware :P

Well aware :P

I do not a W7 installed so cannot realy test anything under those conditions.

Under Vista 64, I have no problems with anything that you are having problems with. I crated an 8GB iso, created a virtual drive and loaded the iso and it plays perfectly. I can easily copy the Video_TS folder from the virtual drive to a hard drive. Nowhere is there any indication that the memory is being grabbed by anything.

Either W7 and C2010 have problems regarding virtual drives or your install of C2010 is corrupt.

Does RAM really have anything to do with an emulated drive? I have 1.5GB on my XP system and have no problem loading a >4GB iso and playing it. If the file were really being loaded into RAM from the hard drive it would take more then a couple of seconds.

Of course I may be totally wrong in how a virtual drive really works. :blink:

Yes after putting my foot in my mouth, I loaded a BD ISO into one and played it…

Actually there are quite a few out there and I believe they are better than Roxio's… MagicDisc is one I use.

Archived