• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 9 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Videowave 11 Running Slow

JC2

Question

Have been using Creator 2009 for some time...

Most functions are working OK, but I've always had problems with video editing in Videowave 11. More specifically, it takes forever (if at all) for preview to catch-up with movie marker location and again forever (if at all) to play in the preview/edit window. Quite often the sound plays, but preview shows static video frame.

With a very short movie (e.g. 3 mintues), all seem to work OK. The above always occurs for something like a 2 hour movie.

Again, all other functions seem to work OK, e.g. auto-chapter, editing menu's, burning DVD's....

Don't believe it's performance of my machine. Windows Movie Maker, for example, doesn't have issue like this (i.e. preview is very dynamic and responsive).

Any idea's ???

Thx much, JC2.

20 answers to this question

How many background processes do you have running? There are quite a few that start when you boot up your computer that don't need to be running.

Go to Windows, Start,Run, type in msconfig, OK, go to the start up tab and look. I bet there are quite a few that can be easily identified and turned off. You'll need to reboot and acknowlege that you made the changes.

myguggi..........Thx........

Will try and get back to ya...........JC2...

OK.....

So - Captured same movie thru Roxio USB device for 1 hr @ a) MPEG 720x480 8Mbps, B) MPEG 352x480 4Mbps and c) AVI format, i.e. 720x480, and found these results:

1. By the way - 720x480 8Mbps apparently seems to be the same as 29.97 fps (frames per second)

2. Item a - better response - useable, but slow during edit mode, i.e. going frame-by-frame or using thumbwheel. DVD quality is good.

3. Item b - even better reponse - virtually real-time, i.e. going frame-by-frame and using thumbwheel. As expected, DVD quality is degraded and fuzzier.

4. Item c - even better response - even with 2 hour movie capture, i.e. going frame-by-frame and using thumbwheel. Haven't burn't DVD for this, but expect it should be equal to or better than item a. Of course, 2 hrs of video takes up about 22GB of disc space.

So - conclusions to date:

A. Resolution and sample rate of video effect performance of movie editing function.

B. Number of background tasks also effect performance.

C. AND, for some reason, length (in time) of video effect performance. Why is that ??

D. Seems to be also an effect of capture device. My latest technology - i.e. USB seems to adversely effect the movie editing function versus original internal/tuner capture device. Even with same video capture length/resolution/sampling parameters.

Anyone know if RAM size would help performance, i.e. if I went from 2GB to 4GB, for example?

Thx, JC2...

B.

Big_Dave et al,

Again, Pinnacle 12 and Windows Movie Maker have virtually real-time response to frame movement editing capabilities in Movie Edit-type functions, even with background programs running, for all captured video files that I've worked with.

I'm just looking for similar response time in Roxio....

There are many other problems with using Pinnacle and Windows Movie Maker on my machine (e.g. DVD burning and capatibility with DVD players, as well as quality of video on DVD, and capture device compability). So, I've centered upon using Roxio for my video app.

Trying to figure-out how to get Roxio to perform as well, in this area........Thx, JC2....

How many background processes do you have running? There are quite a few that start when you boot up your computer that don't need to be running.

Go to Windows, Start,Run, type in msconfig, OK, go to the start up tab and look. I bet there are quite a few that can be easily identified and turned off. You'll need to reboot and acknowlege that you made the changes.

Sknis,

Thx for response/input...

I've tried disabling all start-up items, including shutting down wireless network, and performance is a little better, but certainly not realtime. If I start previewing (in Edit mode) movie from beginning, then OK, but if I move marker somewhere in middle of movie (or otherwise), then it still takes a long while for video to come on, although audio comes up sooner, but still taking awhile. At that point, audio and video out-of-sync, where audio is ahead of video in time. Sometimes video catches up (by moving quickly !!!!), other times it doesn't.

In parallel, I went ahead and purchased Creator Pro 2010, and installed it with a "clean" install from EMC 2009. Performance is marginally better.

Again, don't understand, in that Pinnacle 12 and Windows Movie Maker have real-time/responsive preview/editing functionality, like butter !!.......why is Roxio so slow ??

I have since "blown-away" Pinnacle 12, in order to potentially avoid any conflicts, but no difference. I still have Movie Maker installed (i.e. from VISTA Home Premium install, from months ago).

Could I have some pending codec issues/conflicts, i.e. from previous installs of EMC or Pinnacle or Movie Maker?

Is it just my Graphics card is not the best for Roxio ?? Used to work fine a couple of years ago with earlier versions of EMC.

Perplexed.............JC2......

Thx for reply......

Re-running Defrag now, although it runs automatically, every day. Last one was last nite around 8pm.

Thx, JC2.

List your system specs, especially video card. How much free space left on the hard drive? Do you shut down other running apps when doing editing?

Sknis,

Thx for response/input...

I've tried disabling all start-up items, including shutting down wireless network, and performance is a little better, but certainly not realtime. If I start previewing (in Edit mode) movie from beginning, then OK, but if I move marker somewhere in middle of movie (or otherwise), then it still takes a long while for video to come on, although audio comes up sooner, but still taking awhile. At that point, audio and video out-of-sync, where audio is ahead of video in time. Sometimes video catches up (by moving quickly !!!!), other times it doesn't.

In parallel, I went ahead and purchased Creator Pro 2010, and installed it with a "clean" install from EMC 2009. Performance is marginally better.

Again, don't understand, in that Pinnacle 12 and Windows Movie Maker have real-time/responsive preview/editing functionality, like butter !!.......why is Roxio so slow ??

I have since "blown-away" Pinnacle 12, in order to potentially avoid any conflicts, but no difference. I still have Movie Maker installed (i.e. from VISTA Home Premium install, from months ago).

Could I have some pending codec issues/conflicts, i.e. from previous installs of EMC or Pinnacle or Movie Maker?

Is it just my Graphics card is not the best for Roxio ?? Used to work fine a couple of years ago with earlier versions of EMC.

Perplexed.............JC2......

In your first post you mention you are working with a 2 hour movie. What happens if you try a 1 hour video? Do you also get a long response time? What kind of movie is this? Where did it come from? What format is it?

Neither Pinnacle nor WMM will interfere with C2009.

List your system specs, especially video card. How much free space left on the hard drive? Do you shut down other running apps when doing editing?

Thx for reply.....JC2......

When running Creator 2009, don't have other app's running other than virus SW.

Here's computer info:

Processor Intel® Pentium® D CPU 2.80GHz

Memory (RAM) 2.00 GB

Graphics ATI Radeon HD 2600 PRO

Gaming graphics 1279 MB Total available graphics memory

Primary hard disk 53GB Free (291GB Total)

Windows Vista Home Premium

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Disk partition (C:) 53 GB Free (291 GB Total)

Disk partition (D:) 481 MB Free (8 GB Total)

Media drive (E:) CD/DVD

Media drive (F:) CD/DVDCD/DVD

Graphics

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Display adapter type ATI Radeon HD 2600 PRO

Total available graphics memory 1279 MB

Dedicated graphics memory 512 MB

Dedicated system memory 0 MB

Shared system memory 767 MB

Display adapter driver version 8.681.0.0

Primary monitor resolution 1360x768

DirectX version DirectX 10

When you Videowave launched, looked under Options. Are you using hardware or software rendering?

Are you running VISTA sp2?

Thx Big_Dave,

Using HW rendering.

Also, VISTA sp2.

Thx, JC2.

In your first post you mention you are working with a 2 hour movie. What happens if you try a 1 hour video? Do you also get a long response time? What kind of movie is this? Where did it come from? What format is it?

Neither Pinnacle nor WMM will interfere with C2009.

Myguggi,

Thx for reply....

Haven't tried a 1 hr movie. Will do that shortly...

For very short "test" movies, i.e. a few minutes, it's not a problem.

Movies generally are from VHS tapes....i.e. home movies and some TV shows. Format is MPEG-2, 720x480, 8Mbps, using Roxio USB adapter.

I used to record thru my internal tuner card, but switched to Roxio USB several months ago. Could this be the problem?

I'll run some additional tests, with same video, running thru tuner, as well as Roxio USB, at different resolutions.

Thx, JC2...

Thx for reply.....JC2......

When running Creator 2009, don't have other app's running other than virus SW.

Here's computer info:

Processor Intel® Pentium® D CPU 2.80GHz

Memory (RAM) 2.00 GB

Graphics ATI Radeon HD 2600 PRO

Gaming graphics 1279 MB Total available graphics memory

Primary hard disk 53GB Free (291GB Total)

Windows Vista Home Premium

Disk partition (C:) 53 GB Free (291 GB Total)

Disk partition (D:) 481 MB Free (8 GB Total)

Media drive (E:) CD/DVD

Media drive (F:) CD/DVDCD/DVD

Graphics

Display adapter type ATI Radeon HD 2600 PRO

Total available graphics memory 1279 MB

Dedicated graphics memory 512 MB

Dedicated system memory 0 MB

Shared system memory 767 MB

Display adapter driver version 8.681.0.0

Primary monitor resolution 1360x768

DirectX version DirectX 10

Turn off your antivirus!

Just for kicks, give software rendering a try.

Big_Dave et al,

Once again, Thx for reply.

SW rendering is worst. I tried a 1 hour movie a few minutes ago, and it's close, but not quite realtime/editable. Switching to SW rendering makes preview choppy/etc.

Noticed that I have some old recordings from VHS thru tuner and were mpg 720x480 @ 29.97 fps (feet per sec ??). Even 2 hour recordings of this are OK in edit movie/preview window, i.e. I can step thru in real-time, with current configuration.

Noticed that the Roxio USB capture device only has DVD HQ (720x480 @ 8Mbps - which I've been using) or secondly 352x480 @ 4Mbps. I'm trying the 2nd one for a 1 hour recording to see how that works. Too bad it doesn't have a 720x480 with a lower Mbps, or custom settings.

Not sure how 29.97fps correlates with 8Mbps or 4Mbps, but apparently this all has to do with total amount of data being processed.

Guess it's a trade-off of overall screen resolution (e.g. 720x480 vs 352x480) in conjunction with sample rate. I'm not sure what the optimum is for VHS copies. Also, I'm assuming it also relates to variables like other background tasks, of course processor speed, graphics capabilities, and RAM memory. Maybe I should step-up from 2 GB RMA to something else (e.g. 4GB). Not sure I want to invest in new Graphics card for this machine.

Does anyone have some guidance on performance versus quality/resolution/sample time of recordings?

Thx much, JC2....

Thx Big_Dave,

Using HW rendering.

Also, VISTA sp2.

Thx, JC2.

Myguggi,

Thx for reply....

Haven't tried a 1 hr movie. Will do that shortly...

For very short "test" movies, i.e. a few minutes, it's not a problem.

Movies generally are from VHS tapes....i.e. home movies and some TV shows. Format is MPEG-2, 720x480, 8Mbps, using Roxio USB adapter.

I used to record thru my internal tuner card, but switched to Roxio USB several months ago. Could this be the problem?

I'll run some additional tests, with same video, running thru tuner, as well as Roxio USB, at different resolutions.

Thx, JC2...

Try capturing to avi format. The captured files are much larger but most of us find that editing is usually much easier. Mpeg2 has to be uncompressed when added into Videowave with a resulting loss of quality and later is compressed again with still more quality loss.

Try capturing to avi format. The captured files are much larger but most of us find that editing is usually much easier. Mpeg2 has to be uncompressed when added into Videowave with a resulting loss of quality and later is compressed again with still more quality loss.

myguggi..........Thx........

Will try and get back to ya...........JC2...

Archived