• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 19 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Troubles In Vista 64

Ted_AZ

Question

Running Easy Media Creator 10 Suite with Windows 7. Have a Sony 8 mm Camcorder hooked up to a video capture card. EMC does recognize the camera and connects. When I try to capture a video; it will work, but for aprox. only 30 seconds. Than the camera goes on pause and the recording stops. I have tried all the settings E.G. capture length and capture of entire tape. Both settings only give me 30 sec of video.

I do have another program for capturing videos; it does work and I was able to capture the complete video. However; I prefer EMC and would like to get it to work.

Any suggestions??

I am also having the same problem here! I am running Windows Vista 64 bit with all updates installed. I am trying to copy my old VHS and S-VHS tapes via a JVC D-VHS vcr with Roxio Creator 2010 Special Edition (again with the latest updates installed) (Version 1.2.193 SP1; 5.0.0.0 - Build 121893A, R05; 500B22A, R05). The JVC D-VHS machine is connected via Firewire.

Any ideas as to what is wrong here???

Thanks...

Ted in Arizona

14 answers to this question

Wow! Never seen a D-VHS recorder, but I don't get out much :lol::D:lol: (Link)

May I ask what Retail is on that puppy?

As I see it, you have 2 iLinks on it, and I believe the Front iLink is INPUT ONLY. So I want to make sure you are connecting to the back???

Since you have the SE edition, did you try using the Roxio device to see how it will do?

I want to do this as a test of the Roxio Capture program. I realize you can't get HD capture this way.

I am curious about the tape you are using… Have you done mixed quality recording with it where it may be hitting spots where the it changes??? (honestly I can't believe the 'spots' would be 30 seconds apart)

The 30 sec capture has been an issue in the past and never nailed down! But I think you are the first one for 2010 :o

Also check the MS XP 64bit updates about Firewire...

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the reply! The D-VHS VCR was 199$ as a like-new refurb from B&H photo in New York - I think original retail was well over 1000$ a few years ago. The reason I got it was to play back my old S-VHS tapes and record them onto DVD's before the tapes rot. The camcorder I used to record with has a bad time base error problem, so when I saw this D-VHS vcr at B&H I went for it - what made me get it is the fact that it has a built in time base corrector. I have no interest in recording HDTV off air - nothing worth recording anyways! And yes, the tapes do play back perfectly on this machine with the TBC.

You are right there are 2 Firewire ports on the VCR - front is input only, and the rear one is in and out, and is the one I am using. I did try using the Roxio USB capture device and it does work fine, but I want to use the higher-quality video that I get from the Firewire port. Also, I had Roxio Creator 2008 (or 9 - don't remember now) and using the USB capture resulted in really bad audio pitch distortion, as if the audio was trying to catch up or slow down to match the video. However that problem seems to have been resolved with 2010. Most of my tapes are of railroad trains, so when the steam whistle or diesel horn is sounded the audio pitch would distort (with the older Creator version).

The tapes are all S-VHS - no mixing of different quality recordings. And yes I have installed all updates available from MS for Vista 64 as well as the video drivers, etc.

Thanks again for your help...

Ted

The problem is the signal coming through the Firewire… it could be the Firewire itself. If you have another around try that one!

Likewise, why not take a new tape and record something and try to capture that. Do you have any other Firewire sources you could try to use for testing?

Hi Jim,

The cable doesn't matter...one is a Belden, the other a Brand X. A new tape with a new video recorded didn't matter either, and I do not have any other Firewire sources to try...just the JVC D-VHS vcr.

I did notice that it seems like the Roxio is telling the vcr to stop...at the 30 sec +/- mark, the capture stops and the VCR is paused. After another 30 seconds or so the vcr powers down and then back up. Almost as if the Roxio is timing out at the 30 second mark thinking there is no video coming in and then cycling the vcr??

Thanks!

Ted

Hi Jim,

The cable doesn't matter...one is a Belden, the other a Brand X. A new tape with a new video recorded didn't matter either, and I do not have any other Firewire sources to try...just the JVC D-VHS vcr.

I did notice that it seems like the Roxio is telling the vcr to stop...at the 30 sec +/- mark, the capture stops and the VCR is paused. After another 30 seconds or so the vcr powers down and then back up. Almost as if the Roxio is timing out at the 30 second mark thinking there is no video coming in and then cycling the vcr??

Thanks!

Ted

Do you have any "digital" video on that VCR to transfer? It seems to me that Firewire is only for transferring digital data. I don't believe it will transfer analog video.

Hi Jim,

Thanks!

Ted

NO Software can control a VCR…

If it is not the cable and it is not the tape, it would appear the Firewire port or circuit would be suspect…

Thoughts?

If you had a camcorder that could record from it or act as a pass though. A DVD Recorder (most have a provision for Firewire Input)…

You are going to have to get creative.

NO Software can control a VCR…

If it is not the cable and it is not the tape, it would appear the Firewire port or circuit would be suspect…

Thoughts?

If you had a camcorder that could record from it or act as a pass though. A DVD Recorder (most have a provision for Firewire Input)…

You are going to have to get creative.

Hi Jim,

Actually the Roxio software *is* controlling the VCR! When I click the "capture whole tape" button the VCR starts up and then runs for about 30 seconds. There are also the typical VCR buttons (play, FF, REW, etc) shown in the capture window, which do control the VCR.

My DVD recorder does not have a Firewire input, but a friend of mine does have a camcorder that has a Firewire output. It will be a few days before I can borrow it, but it is worth a try.

Thanks!

Ted

Hi Jim,

Actually the Roxio software *is* controlling the VCR! When I click the "capture whole tape" button the VCR starts up and then runs for about 30 seconds. There are also the typical VCR buttons (play, FF, REW, etc) shown in the capture window, which do control the VCR.

My DVD recorder does not have a Firewire input, but a friend of mine does have a camcorder that has a Firewire output. It will be a few days before I can borrow it, but it is worth a try.

Thanks!

Ted

Can you just play the VCR from C2010 using the play button? Does it play longer then 30 secs? Do you see any video in the capture window?

Can you just play the VCR from C2010 using the play button? Does it play longer then 30 secs? Do you see any video in the capture window?

Good Question!!!

Actually it has been so long since I did a Firewire capture (memory stick reader) I forgot they can control devices like that! Never had a VHS-D... :(

Ted,

What exactly is your problem? Can you give us some details?

Hi Big Dave,

What is happening is that when I start to capture video from my JVC D-VHS (HM-DT100U) vcr (connected to the computer via Firewire) it runs for only about 30 seconds and then pauses the capture. I can restart the capture, but again it only runs for about 30 seconds and then pauses. Sometimes (not always) I get this error message: "tape status change between DV/HDV and capture must stop". I am using Vista 64 bit with 12 gig ram, i920 cpu (not overclocked) Asus P6T V2 MB. Roxio Creator 2010 Special Edition (bought at Costco). I tried copy whole tape and also set capture timer to 2 hours....makes no difference.

I have updated Creator 2010 to SP1 (see details in my first post above). I also searched the KB and found nothing referencing this problem, although I see someone else had this problem as well, but they were using Windows 7.

Thanks for any help!

Ted in AZ

Yes I can....the VCR starts up right away when using the Roxio's VCR control buttons, and it plays fine....it does not stop until I press stop, and there is good video in the capture window along with good audio.

It appears the problem is only when actually recording (capturing) the video - I wonder if the Roxio is looking for some kind of feedback that it is not getting so then it stops at about 30 seconds???

Ted

Yes I can....the VCR starts up right away when using the Roxio's VCR control buttons, and it plays fine....it does not stop until I press stop, and there is good video in the capture window along with good audio.

It appears the problem is only when actually recording (capturing) the video - I wonder if the Roxio is looking for some kind of feedback that it is not getting so then it stops at about 30 seconds???

Ted

That recorder you have is of course a "strange animal" and is now obsolete and was never supported.

I think you have to use the USB capture device as the Firewire generally is used for capturing digital and what you are trying to capture is analog video. Anyway even if the Firewire were to work the quality will not be much better then analog.

Wow! Never seen a D-VHS recorder, but I don't get out much :lol::D:lol: (Link)

May I ask what Retail is on that puppy?

As I see it, you have 2 iLinks on it, and I believe the Front iLink is INPUT ONLY. So I want to make sure you are connecting to the back???

Since you have the SE edition, did you try using the Roxio device to see how it will do?

I want to do this as a test of the Roxio Capture program. I realize you can't get HD capture this way.

I am curious about the tape you are using… Have you done mixed quality recording with it where it may be hitting spots where the it changes??? (honestly I can't believe the 'spots' would be 30 seconds apart)

The 30 sec capture has been an issue in the past and never nailed down! But I think you are the first one for 2010 :o

Also check the MS XP 64bit updates about Firewire...

Archived