• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 13 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Can't burn to CD-R

kagey

Question

Ever since I upgraded to EMC8, every time I try to burn files to a blank CD-R, after it loads all the contents, my disk burner door opens, and I get an error message that says there was a problem writing to the disk.

I tried changing to a different disk manufacturer, and it did no good. I keep going through disks with no success. It worked fine in EMC7.5.

I'm not a technical guy and have trouble following instructions. Although I did manage to load the 8.05 patch.

Any sugggestions?

Thanks.

Ken

9 answers to this question

I think the easiest way would be to go to Dell,my account,then support and put in the service tag number off your machine.It should take you to a page of available updates for your machine.

OEM is "Original Equipment Manufacturer".It really just means a drive that is in a vendors machine that is made by someone else.It may have been modified by that vendor.Software is like that alot if it comes with your computer.It is customized for your particular machine,most of the time with some features left out.What Teac is telling you is that it is Dells responsibility to provide you with updates for that drive.

I think the easiest way would be to go to Dell,my account,then support and put in the service tag number off your machine.It should take you to a page of available updates for your machine.

OEM is "Original Equipment Manufacturer".It really just means a drive that is in a vendors machine that is made by someone else.It may have been modified by that vendor.Software is like that alot if it comes with your computer.It is customized for your particular machine,most of the time with some features left out.What Teac is telling you is that it is Dells responsibility to provide you with updates for that drive.

I did go to Dell, support and put my service tag number in and the list I copied in the last reply are the available updates for my computer and the model I have is not listed. So if my cd burner model is not listed, does that mean there are no updates? Then what? Once again, thanks for your help.

Theresa

I did go to Dell, support and put my service tag number in and the list I copied in the last reply are the available updates for my computer and the model I have is not listed. So if my cd burner model is not listed, does that mean there are no updates? Then what? Once again, thanks for your help.

Theresa

Dump the burner and get a new DVD burner. They are relatively inexpensive.

Ever since I upgraded to EMC8, every time I try to burn files to a blank CD-R, after it loads all the contents, my disk burner door opens, and I get an error message that says there was a problem writing to the disk.

I tried changing to a different disk manufacturer, and it did no good. I keep going through disks with no success. It worked fine in EMC7.5.

I'm not a technical guy and have trouble following instructions. Although I did manage to load the 8.05 patch.

Any sugggestions?

Thanks.

Ken

How old is the CD burner? Is it recognized by EMC 8? Have you ever been able to burn in EMC 8? What program in EMC 8 are you using to try to burn?

How old is the CD burner? Is it recognized by EMC 8? Have you ever been able to burn in EMC 8? What program in EMC 8 are you using to try to burn?

Thanks for answering. My CD burner came installed in a Dell three years ago. I've tried to burn CD's both ways...Drag to Disk and the Add Files function. I've never been able to burn CD's in EMC 8.

Ken

Thanks for answering. My CD burner came installed in a Dell three years ago. I've tried to burn CD's both ways...Drag to Disk and the Add Files function. I've never been able to burn CD's in EMC 8.

Ken

Try disabling Drag to Disc via msconfig. Also, open Creator Classic, click on Tools, click on Disc and Device Utility. Does your CD burner show up there?

I am having the same issues, bought a Dell 3 years ago and the burner TEAC CD-W224E came with the system. I cannot burn to CD-R since I upgraded to EMC 8. I have tried many things and none of them have worked.

I don't mean to hog in on the conversation, I can't believe I found someone having the same problem and maybe there is some hope out there.

My answer to your advice: "Try disabling Drag to Disc via msconfig. Also, open Creator Classic, click on Tools, click on Disc and Device Utility. Does your CD burner show up there?" is: Yes, with the unit open the burner shows up but the second level says "Medium not present - Unit not ready. [0x123A000C]"

With the unit closed it says "Seek, synch, ATIP or mechanical positioning error - Unit not ready. [0x12060001]

Does this mean anything to you?

Thanks,

Theresa

Theresa,have you made sure that you have the latest version of the firmware for that drive?The message you are getting with the tray closed is usually a bad thing to see,often showing a drive that's about to go belly up.Try going to Dells site and make sure you have the latest firmware theyb have available for that drive then see what happens.

Theresa,have you made sure that you have the latest version of the firmware for that drive?The message you are getting with the tray closed is usually a bad thing to see,often showing a drive that's about to go belly up.Try going to Dells site and make sure you have the latest firmware theyb have available for that drive then see what happens.

Thanks for responding. I contacted TEAC.com for firmware updates and this is their response "Please contact the manufacturer of your system for updates, the drive is an OEM drive." When I go to Dell.com I have looked at their Removable Media Storage Devices listings and do not find my model of cd burner. What should I be looking for in the listing below of? What does the drive is an OEM? Finally should I be looking some where else for updates?

Dell's available Removable Media Storage Devices updates:

HLDS GCA-4040N Slim 4X DVD+RW

HLDS GCC-4241N Slim 24/24/24X Combo

HLDS GCC-4241N Slim 24/24/24X Combo Drive

HLDS GCC-4243N Slim CDRW/DVDROM 24X GBAS

HLDS GCR-8240N slim 24X CD-ROM

HLDS Slim GWA-4040N 4X DVD+/-RW Japan Only

M-Systems 64/128MB Dell USB Memory Key

M-Systems HS 128M and 64M USB Memory Key

M-Systems HS 256M USB Memory Key

NEC ND-5100A slim 4X DVD+RW

NEC ND-6500A Slim 8X DVD+/-RW