• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 15 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

vhs to dvd

dilbert2018

Question

5 answers to this question

I captured the video off a vhs tape to my hardrive. the tape was 2:04 hrs long but the avi file is almost 28 gbs. how do i get this file on one dvd?

As you already get your answers, I just want to add to the "why".

When captured the video and audio are not necessarily compressed; hence the very large size.

Think of comparing an uncompressed BMP bitmap file to a (compressed) JPEG file.

(And there are a variety of compression methods available, with and without loss of quality. Codecs contain the algorithms and methods for the given Encoding and Decoding.)

No, but you can bring the video clip into VideoWave (Edit Video-Advanced), and split it into 2 productions. Delete the 2nd half, and save the production under a name such as Part A. Now, start a new production, bring that video file back in, and split it at the same place. Delete the first half this time, and save the production under a name such as Part B.

Close VideoWave, open MyDVD (Create DVDs-Advanced), bring in the first production, and burn it to a DVD. Close MyDVD, open it again, and bring in the second production, and burn it to a DVD.

Edit: Or, if you have a DL burner, you can try burning the 2 hour video (not split) to a Folder Set, then burning that to a DL disc with Video Copy And Convert.

thanks, I'll try that.

I captured the video off a vhs tape to my hardrive. the tape was 2:04 hrs long but the avi file is almost 28 gbs. how do i get this file on one dvd?

File size means nothing, it is the timelength of the video that is the important parameter. A standard 4.7GB video will hold a 60 minute video at best quality. At lowest quality you can squeeze 120 minutes on the DVD but it might not be watchable. I would recommend that you split the long video and put it on 2 DVDs.

File size means nothing, it is the timelength of the video that is the important parameter. A standard 4.7GB video will hold a 60 minute video at best quality. At lowest quality you can squeeze 120 minutes on the DVD but it might not be watchable. I would recommend that you split the long video and put it on 2 DVDs.

I will try that because I burned to one 4.7 and I cannot play dvd. Is there a way to configure roxio to split video to 2 dvds or do I have to recapture in 1 files?

I will try that because I burned to one 4.7 and I cannot play dvd. Is there a way to configure roxio to split video to 2 dvds or do I have to recapture in 1 files?

No, but you can bring the video clip into VideoWave (Edit Video-Advanced), and split it into 2 productions. Delete the 2nd half, and save the production under a name such as Part A. Now, start a new production, bring that video file back in, and split it at the same place. Delete the first half this time, and save the production under a name such as Part B.

Close VideoWave, open MyDVD (Create DVDs-Advanced), bring in the first production, and burn it to a DVD. Close MyDVD, open it again, and bring in the second production, and burn it to a DVD.

Edit: Or, if you have a DL burner, you can try burning the 2 hour video (not split) to a Folder Set, then burning that to a DL disc with Video Copy And Convert.

Archived