• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 16 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

DVD Compatibility Issues

mcsoccer76

Question

I created a slideshow containing video, audio, and photos using DVD Builder from the EMC 7 software. I created it in the DVD format and burned it to a Sony DVD+R disc, and it will not play in either of my home DVD players, but it does play on third party DVD player software on my computer. I looked in the help application and found the option of using the "output to" button located in the storyboard window to select the purpose of dvd (i.e. dvd authoring - using it on a commercial DVD player) or to output the slideshow to my DV Camera and then transfer it to a VHS tape via my VCR. The problem is that there is no "output to" button on my Storyboard toolbar. If anybody knows how to fix this problem or how to make my slideshow compatible on a commercial DVD player, I'd appreciate the help. Thanks.

13 answers to this question

I burn DVDs for a group of hobbyists and ran into the DVD compatability problem. I think they each have a different DVD player.

I can get the DVDs to be recognized by more DVD players by burning to an 'image file' rather than the DVD burner. Then I use Disk Copier to burn the 'image file' (.iso) to the DVD. (The image file (.iso) contains all the information needed to burn the files to the DVD. You end up with the same files on the DVD.)

Because the program is ONLY burning to the DVD, the burn seems to be more successful. Now some people have told me that + R's work better in their Sony DVD players, but others prefer - R.

Hi mlpasley,

I am just learning about this awesome program.

Question: Does EMC have the ability to create image files and if it does can you tell me where to get more information?

Thank you, all advice is welcomed.

Victor

Hi mlpasley,

Question: Does EMC have the ability to create image files and if it does can you tell me where to get more information?

Victor

From DVD Builder, after you click Burn, clear the checkmark by your burner and put a checkmark in Save Image File. That will produce an ISO file.

You can use the Browse button to specify the directory and name the ISO file. Otherwise it defaults to My Video directory and Projectname.ISO.

Usually one would start with building a production in EMC Videowave program. After it's completed, save it as a DMSM file with a particular file name. Then exit and bring up the DVDBuilder program and bring up the production you just made in Videowave. Do any editing or previewing if necessary, then click on the RED burn Icon (upper right hand corner of the screen).

When the Burn Setup screen comes up place a check mark in the box that says "SAVE IMAGE FILE" and probably you should also place a check mark in the box that says "Save Original Images to Disc". When the burn has completed you will have an ISO file as well as a burned disc in the drive you are burning to. Hope that helps.

Frank....

Usually one would start with building a production in EMC Videowave program. After it's completed, save it as a DMSM file with a particular file name. Then exit and bring up the DVDBuilder program and bring up the production you just made in Videowave. Do any editing or previewing if necessary, then click on the RED burn Icon (upper right hand corner of the screen).

When the Burn Setup screen comes up place a check mark in the box that says "SAVE IMAGE FILE" and probably you should also place a check mark in the box that says "Save Original Images to Disc". When the burn has completed you will have an ISO file as well as a burned disc in the drive you are burning to. Hope that helps.

Frank....

Frank, I don't recommend burning to DVD and the ISO image during the same session. I always create the ISO file first (check image file, uncheck burn to disc) and then use DiscCopier to burn the DVD. If you are trying to do 2 things at the same time its even more likely to fail especially if you are already having problems simply burning a DVD.

Hi mlpasley,

Victor

Sometimes when you are learning, as the saying goes, a picture is worth a thousand words. I hope this helps you.

post-81-1149717042.jpg

Thanks Everybody,

WOW, what an awesome bit of information from everyone, this is great!

You pros can just call me, "Young Grasshopper". (Just kidding)

OK, now that I've mastered creating an ISO file, thanks to all of your input.

Now how do I copy a DVD disc from it?

Or

I saw something in another posting that I can create a virtual drive, can this be done?

Thanks again,

Victor

Thanks Everybody,

WOW, what an awesome bit of information from everyone, this is great!

You pros can just call me, "Young Grasshopper". (Just kidding)

OK, now that I've mastered creating an ISO file, thanks to all of your input.

Now how do I copy a DVD disc from it?

Or

I saw something in another posting that I can create a virtual drive, can this be done?

Thanks again,

Victor

You don't need to load a virtual drive to do it. Open Disc Copier, browse to your ISO file, and burn it to a DVD.

Thanks Walt for the tip on only doing one type of burn at a time. I have done that quite a few times and so far have not had any problems. It probably takes longer for sure. Anyway, your suggestion is the best way.

And Bruce, I was about to attach the same screen, but thought I could explain it in text. However, as you say, A picture is worth a thousand words. All in all I think there is a happy camper out there now :)

Frank....

Builder is the way to burn in V7 so there is no real need to find an output button in VW…

Player compatibility has always been an issue. The fact the disc plays in one place indicates there is nothing wrong with the burn. If your burner supports DVD 'dash' media, try a DVD-R.

I tried the +RWs, and they didn't play on my set-top. When I tried to burn to -Rs, I got an error at about 99% and that did not play on either my set-top or my third party dvd viewing software on my laptop (where I was able to play the +Rs). I'm going to go the .iso file route - will i lose the audio?

Guest mlpasley
Thanks Everybody,

If you have EMC 7.5 you can create an emulate drive to play disk image files on your computer.

However to burn that Image file to a dvd, you need to use EMC 7 Disk Copier. The file contains everything that you need on the dvd, including the sound.

On the computer I am running EMC 7 on, when I boot up DVD Builder the first thing I get is a "Project Type" screen that has options for--

1--DVD

2--Video CD

3--Super Video CD

4--DVD on CD

My setting has been set for DVD for all of my burns in DVD Builder and I have not had any problems as far as not being able to be played on most set top players. On one rare instance, what James eluded to was a problem for me too, as the player only accepted "-" R media and the DVD I burned was "+" R.

Guest mlpasley

I burn DVDs for a group of hobbyists and ran into the DVD compatability problem. I think they each have a different DVD player.

I can get the DVDs to be recognized by more DVD players by burning to an 'image file' rather than the DVD burner. Then I use Disk Copier to burn the 'image file' (.iso) to the DVD. (The image file (.iso) contains all the information needed to burn the files to the DVD. You end up with the same files on the DVD.)

Because the program is ONLY burning to the DVD, the burn seems to be more successful. Now some people have told me that + R's work better in their Sony DVD players, but others prefer - R.

Archived