Burn production to DVD to play on EITHER computer or TV

KathyVG

Question

Is it possible to burn a production to a DVD that will play on EITHER a computer or a TV? I have created a movie (slideshow?) using VideoWave. I chose to export it to MyDVD and created a DVD that plays well on a TV. But I would also like to have the capability to watch that same DVD on a computer (for those friends of mine who don't have TVs and DVD players.) Is that possible, if so how?

6 answers to this question

:) MERRY CHRISTMAS! I have a question to add to this one. When I burn a Movie video from my computer to DVD so it can be played on an external DVD player or my computer. When I put it in the external DVD player to play on tv it can't read it. Most of the videos I have are AVI. I can burn them in Windows Movie Maker and they will play on both. What am I doing wrong? I REALLY need to figure this out as I don't care to use WMM. I would like to use Roxio for all my media needs. Thanks!! P.S. Why does it not give you the option to convert to AVI?

:) MERRY CHRISTMAS! I have a question to add to this one. When I burn a Movie video from my computer to DVD so it can be played on an external DVD player or my computer. When I put it in the external DVD player to play on tv it can't read it. Most of the videos I have are AVI. I can burn them in Windows Movie Maker and they will play on both. What am I doing wrong? I REALLY need to figure this out as I don't care to use WMM. I would like to use Roxio for all my media needs. Thanks!! P.S. Why does it not give you the option to convert to AVI?

You cannot simply burn avis to a DVD and expect DVD players to play them (some DVD players will play DivX avis). The DVDs has to follow a standard that is acceptable to DVD players.

To create a standard DVD that will play on stand-alone DVD players you have to use the program myDVD (Create DVDs on the C2010 main menu page).

Launch myDVD and then Add the avi files. Depending on the source of the avis, some may not be compatible with C2010.

You cannot simply burn avis to a DVD and expect DVD players to play them (some DVD players will play DivX avis). The DVDs has to follow a standard that is acceptable to DVD players.

To create a standard DVD that will play on stand-alone DVD players you have to use the program myDVD (Create DVDs on the C2010 main menu page).

Launch myDVD and then Add the avi files. Depending on the source of the avis, some may not be compatible with C2010.

Thanks so much for your Help!! It worked. Only problem I have now is that when I play back in an external DVD player or on another computer DVD the movie skips. I had burned it at the second lowest speed. (I don't remember right now what exactly it was). Any suggestions as how to avoid this "skipping/sticking/unsmooth" playback?

THANKS...all suggestions are greatly appreciated!! I am using Verbatim DVDs

Is it possible to burn a production to a DVD that will play on EITHER a computer or a TV? I have created a movie (slideshow?) using VideoWave. I chose to export it to MyDVD and created a DVD that plays well on a TV. But I would also like to have the capability to watch that same DVD on a computer (for those friends of mine who don't have TVs and DVD players.) Is that possible, if so how?

Yes, it will play. Your friends need to have a program that will play a DVD. I suggest the free version of VLC player. It will play just about anything. There is even a MAC version.

It is refreshing to see you turn around post. Usually people complain that the disc will play on the computer but not on a DVD player. :lol:

Thanks so much for your Help!! It worked. Only problem I have now is that when I play back in an external DVD player or on another computer DVD the movie skips. I had burned it at the second lowest speed. (I don't remember right now what exactly it was). Any suggestions as how to avoid this "skipping/sticking/unsmooth" playback?

THANKS...all suggestions are greatly appreciated!! I am using Verbatim DVDs

Smart move on the disc manufacturer

Burn the MyDVD project to an Image (ISO) file first. That option is on the same burn window that you used to burn to a disc. Uncheck the burn to disc option. Note/set the name and where the ISO file will be placed. Once the project finishes encoding, copy the ISO file to the DVD (option on the home page or VC&C). That separates the two steps (encoding and burning) so it doesn't stress the computer as much. An advantage is that if you want to make more copies, all you have to do is copy the ISO to another disc.

Thanks so much for your reply. I am trying to account not only for friends who don't have computers or knowledge (imagine that!) as well as people who don't have TVs with DVD players.

Happy Holidays!

Archived