• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 19 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Backup MyPC 6 Stops Windows Restore

eelkes

Question

I backup up the 80 GB SATA hard drive on my Dell Dimension 8400 with BUMP6, both a full backup and a couple of incrementals.

The hard drive crashed. I bought a new 320 GB SATA hard drive, installed Windows XP Pro from the Dell Reinstallation Disk and ran it for several days with no issues.

Installed BUMP6 on the computer, connected my external backup drive, and restored the first backup; the full backup file. The only error reported was that I would have to restart the computer for all the changes to take effect.

I restarted the computer by accepting the restart instruction. After the computer re-booted, a pop-up window appeared. It read: “Windows has finished installing new devices. The software that supports your device requires that you restart your computer. You must restart your computer before the new settings will take effect.

Do you want to restart your computer now?”

Well, I did, and now the computer will not boot. The current black screen message indicates that "Windows could not start because of a computer disk hardware configuration problem. Could not read from the selected hard disk. . . "

I have concluded that something from the backup overwrote the driver for the SATA hard drive.

What to do?

Thanks.

eelkes

0 answers to this question

There have been no answers to this question yet

Archived