• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 17 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

File Drag and Drop 'Glitch'

Klaatu01

Question

Installed Easy Media Creator 7 a few weeks ago for one end user and suddenly, within the past week, her Dell desktop PC developed an issue where a basic Drag and Drop issue was prompting to insert the EMC 7 program CD.

I searched this issue in Microsoft's support Knowledge Base and found one article that appeared related, but ultimately did not prove helpful. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/892346

The MS KB search criteria used were:

["drag and drop" burning xp registry] (returning a small 12 results)

I did a "Restore Defaults" the Windows XP "Folder Options" thinking maybe it was that simple, and no luck.

Finally I relented and gave Windows/Roxio the program CD it was asking for and whatever it needed to do was done. Problem solved. Issue corrected.

The point of this General Discussion posting is, "Why did this happen?" - - What part of Windows XP's basic operation is so integrated with Roxio that Drag and Drop would stop working when the user WAS NOT dragging the file onto one of her two removable media drives (D:\ & E:\). It seemed like Roxio was inserting itself in every Drag and Drop action no matter what file, to where (good English, I know). Was there something during the installation process that did not finish properly or was it more likely to be an action by the end user that 'broke' the post-install configuration and triggered this issue.

~

5 answers to this question

Installed Easy Media Creator 7 a few weeks ago for one end user and suddenly, within the past week, her Dell desktop PC developed an issue where a basic Drag and Drop issue was prompting to insert the EMC 7 program CD.

I searched this issue in Microsoft's support Knowledge Base and found one article that appeared related, but ultimately did not prove helpful. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/892346

The MS KB search criteria used were:

["drag and drop" burning xp registry] (returning a small 12 results)

I did a "Restore Defaults" the Windows XP "Folder Options" thinking maybe it was that simple, and no luck.

Finally I relented and gave Windows/Roxio the program CD it was asking for and whatever it needed to do was done. Problem solved. Issue corrected.

The point of this General Discussion posting is, "Why did this happen?" - - What part of Windows XP's basic operation is so integrated with Roxio that Drag and Drop would stop working when the user WAS NOT dragging the file onto one of her two removable media drives (D:\ & E:\). It seemed like Roxio was inserting itself in every Drag and Drop action no matter what file, to where (good English, I know). Was there something during the installation process that did not finish properly or was it more likely to be an action by the end user that 'broke' the post-install configuration and triggered this issue.

~

This is just a users forum, not Roxio Tech Support. I have to make the assumption that you are talking about Drag to Disc? Go to msconfig, click on the Startup tab, and uncheck the Drag to Disc box, click Apply, then Ok, and reboot. You should no longer see the Drag to Disc icon in the tray, at the bottom right of the screen.

This is just a users forum, not Roxio Tech Support. I have to make the assumption that you are talking about Drag to Disc? Go to msconfig, click on the Startup tab, and uncheck the Drag to Disc box, click Apply, then Ok, and reboot. You should no longer see the Drag to Disc icon in the tray, at the bottom right of the screen.

Thanks for the tip. The issue was "Drag and Drop" not "Drag to Disc" and it was a weird issue. I thought by sharing it here someone else might have encountered the symptom of Roxio EMC 7 having some unfinished business post-install, or may have an idea as to the Windows XP Registry HKEY that is associated with the process of burning files to removable media. I do not see why Roxio EMC 7 would care about the user moving a file from Outlook to her hard drive, or from her hard drive to a network share; it seems like the software should have "known" which drives were optical a bit more accurately.

Thanks again!

~

Thanks for the tip. The issue was "Drag and Drop" not "Drag to Disc" and it was a weird issue. I thought by sharing it here someone else might have encountered the symptom of Roxio EMC 7 having some unfinished business post-install, or may have an idea as to the Windows XP Registry HKEY that is associated with the process of burning files to removable media. I do not see why Roxio EMC 7 would care about the user moving a file from Outlook to her hard drive, or from her hard drive to a network share; it seems like the software should have "known" which drives were optical a bit more accurately.

Thanks again!

~

Network? As in what? No Roxio software ever worked in network conditions, so if you are trying to use the software, in that manner, therein could be the problem.

Archived