Can't span big file across DVD's in Win XP, Creator 2010

Michael Rolko

Question

Running Creator 2010 on Win XP, tried to backup 6 GB avi file. but got error 'There is not enough space on this disc". Bought Creator only because Roxio web pages indicate Creator 2010 regular version (& pro) can span large files and folder across DVD's. Does not seem to work as advertised. Earlier post here indicates using 'Toast' as a workaround - Mac only?. 'Toast' does not exist in this version of the software. Please help. Otherwise I just wasted $ and still can't backup my big avi's! :angry2:

Michael.

3 answers to this question

Hello Michael,

Which application in Creator 2010 are you trying to use to span your 6 GB file across DVDs?

I suspect you may find that the simplified Sonic "Burn Data Disc" from the Home Application won't do it, and you need to be using the fuller-featured Roxio Creator Classic from "Burn Data Disc - Advanced" for that.

If you haven't been using Creator Classic, try it. Please be aware that if you split files, you'll need to use Roxio Retrieve [which is provided] to recover the split files later.

Running Creator 2010 on Win XP, tried to backup 6 GB avi file. but got error 'There is not enough space on this disc". Bought Creator only because Roxio web pages indicate Creator 2010 regular version (& pro) can span large files and folder across DVD's. Does not seem to work as advertised. Earlier post here indicates using 'Toast' as a workaround - Mac only?. 'Toast' does not exist in this version of the software. Please help. Otherwise I just wasted $ and still can't backup my big avi's! :angry2:

Michael.

Another option of course (and I think a safer one) is to split the avi files and burn them to 2 DVDs using Creator Classic. That way they can be read on any computer system and no special software is needed to "retrieve" them.

Archived