• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 19 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Video Capture Locks Up Computer

Darren Nebraska

Question

I have Creator 2010 SP1 that works great for editing pictures. The software prompts to purchase the USB Video Capture to device to copy my movies. I took the bait and purchased. (Goal: Convert Sony Mini-DV camera tapes to RCA to DVD)

The computer is a 2ghz intel pent with 2 gig ram. Drive space available about 29 Gig. Win XP Pro Sp3.

After loading the software as directed and the USB device the software comes up SOMETIMES with the error of:

Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Error!

Program:...es\Common Files\Roxio Shared\9.0\SharedCOM\RoxWatch9.exe

Regardless of the whether I receive the error or not, I start the capture and it immediately locks up the computer. I tried to unload the USB Capture under add/remove where it comes up with press OK to unload and it never does anything. I tried reloading the the USB Capture software again and it worked briefly last night. Tonight I tried three different times and each time the computer locked up. Can't even Cntrl-Alt-Del or end program. I can still move around the computer, but with very limited response. I have to hold the power button and restart the computer. General tech support had me make sure I'm plugging the USB device into the back of the computer direct to the mother board and I am.

I can't tell you how frustrated I am with this product!!!!! Typically, by the time I get home from work Tech Support is not available.

Suggestions before I give up?

5 answers to this question

I have Creator 2010 SP1 that works great for editing pictures. The software prompts to purchase the USB Video Capture to device to copy my movies. I took the bait and purchased. (Goal: Convert Sony Mini-DV camera tapes to RCA to DVD)

The computer is a 2ghz intel pent with 2 gig ram. Drive space available about 29 Gig. Win XP Pro Sp3.

After loading the software as directed and the USB device the software comes up SOMETIMES with the error of:

Regardless of the whether I receive the error or not, I start the capture and it immediately locks up the computer. I tried to unload the USB Capture under add/remove where it comes up with press OK to unload and it never does anything. I tried reloading the the USB Capture software again and it worked briefly last night. Tonight I tried three different times and each time the computer locked up. Can't even Cntrl-Alt-Del or end program. I can still move around the computer, but with very limited response. I have to hold the power button and restart the computer. General tech support had me make sure I'm plugging the USB device into the back of the computer direct to the mother board and I am.

I can't tell you how frustrated I am with this product!!!!! Typically, by the time I get home from work Tech Support is not available.

Turn off Roxio Watcher via msconfig, start up tab.

Are you trying to do a direct burn from the camcorder to DVD? That's possible but one little hiccup and you have to start all over again. Capture to your hard drive first. After that you can edit the captured file in Video Wave (Edit Video-advanced) and then burn to a disc using Create DVD.

It sounds like you may have a bad install (perhaps with your anti-virus active)? First make sure that you do the following then try a repair of the program, again with NOTHING else running including your anti-virus. Have the USB device plugged in.

Clean up your hard drive and defrag it. Revo Uninstaller in the Moderate mode is a free good program to get rid of all those old programs you don't use anymore; CCleaner will get rid of all the junk and temporary files; Auslogics Defragmenter will defrag you hard drive quickly. Google for them.

If you still have problems, open My Computer, device manager and see if the USB device is listed twice -it should be.

The error that you posted is an Easy Media Creator 9 error message. Do you have EMC 9 on your computer, also?

You should have read the info on the device. The USB capture device is for capturing from a analog source not for capturing from a miniDV camcorder. For that Roxio requires a Firewire connection.

You should have read the info on the device. The USB capture device is for capturing from a analog source not for capturing from a miniDV camcorder. For that Roxio requires a Firewire connection.

Please clarify. If I am playing back from the Mini-DV camcorder over the RCA jacks (The same connection I use to playback on my TV) would this also be considered a digital source?

Thanks.

Please clarify. If I am playing back from the Mini-DV camcorder over the RCA jacks (The same connection I use to playback on my TV) would this also be considered a digital source?

Thanks.

No, that would be an analog source. that's why a device is needed, like the roxio USB one, to convert the analog signal to a digital one for the capture program.

If you connect your MiniDV camera to the computer using a firewire connection, then yes it would be passing digital directly to the capture program.

Archived