Videowave Crashing and Closing

bluebirdnut

Question

I'm running VW 7 on a Pentium 4 2.4Ghz computer with 1G of RAM, using the video card that came with the computer (because the upgrade GEForce card died).

VW will just suddenly close when I perform any number of functions - trying to split a clip, dragging a transition between clips, applying a transition theme - just about any random function will cause this to happen.

I figure I've probably got to replace my video card, but I wonder if there could be something else at work here too, because it frequently happens when I wouldn't think the video card would be being "taxed" in any way.

I've uninstalled and re-installed VW - I've actually done a complete hard drive wipe and re-install of everything. VW is the only program still giving me a lot of trouble after that.

If I'm going to replace the vidcard, I need to know what's good for a moderate amount of video editing. I'm not making a career out of this, but I'd like to be able to finish editing a five-minute clip without having to start VW seventeen times!

3 answers to this question

Any video processing is very CPU intensive. You just may need to clean out your fans and CPU cooler mechanism.(open the case on carefully vacuum or dust it out).

Other potential causes -

* memory going bad (there is a free memory tester for download. Google for it.

* bad power supply. No test that I know of; just replace.

* bad hard drive that is unrecognized. It happens whenever the disc is read from or written to and the bad segments are near the front end of the disc..

* low voltage - if you have the computer on the same circuit as other device, there may be enough of a drain to cause this type of problem or simply using a undersized extension cord or games played by your power supply company. Spring for a voltage regulated auxiliary power supply (under $50 but it will help protect your equipment.)

What caused the card to go bad? This may be an indication that something else is about to happen

I'm running VW 7 on a Pentium 4 2.4Ghz computer with 1G of RAM, using the video card that came with the computer (because the upgrade GEForce card died).

VW will just suddenly close when I perform any number of functions - trying to split a clip, dragging a transition between clips, applying a transition theme - just about any random function will cause this to happen.

I figure I've probably got to replace my video card, but I wonder if there could be something else at work here too, because it frequently happens when I wouldn't think the video card would be being "taxed" in any way.

I've uninstalled and re-installed VW - I've actually done a complete hard drive wipe and re-install of everything. VW is the only program still giving me a lot of trouble after that.

If I'm going to replace the vidcard, I need to know what's good for a moderate amount of video editing. I'm not making a career out of this, but I'd like to be able to finish editing a five-minute clip without having to start VW seventeen times!

Guest mlpasley

Simple things to try (worked for me):

Go into your Windows Control Panel\ System\ Advance and choose 'adjust for best performance'. Go into the next Advanced tab and change your virtual memory to min... your RAM, Max 2x your RAM. Also, check to see if your Primary IDE controller is set to DMA mode.

Do you have an 'always on' internet connection? I had to disable mine to make things work smoothly in video editing.

Do you disable all your running programs - antivirus, firewall etc. - when you work in VW? VW only closes inappropriately when I forget to do that or try to get it to do operations faster than my processor can handle.

Archived