toverton

Interface error 5: the connection is unstable

Question

Using Mac OS 10.6.2 (Snow Leopard) with both Toast 9 and with Toast 10.0.5 (all versions) to burn a DVD results in the error code "Interface error 5: the connection is unstable" . 'Lead in' writing has started so the resulting DVD is useless.

This problem affects many Mac users, particularly those with the GA11N superdrive in new iMacs, as attested by the Apple Discussion forum on this topic, and there is still no useful response from either Apple or Roxio.

I am in contact with Roxio technical support; they believe the problem is with the firmware in the GA11N drive but the consensus in the Apple Discussion group is that the problem lies with an incompatibility between Toast and OS 10.6.2.

I just did a test with my new 21.5" Intel iMac that has that drive and Toast 10.0.5. It burned fine for me.

I used a Verbatim 16X DVD-R (manufacturing code MCCRG20). The source is a 4.29 GB video DVD disc image file that Toast 10 (possibly 10.0.2) created in October using my MacBook Pro and OS 10.5.x. When I launched Toast the description of the Mac's drive was gobbledygook so I clicked the gear next to the drive's name and re-selected it. The correct description appeared. I selected the disc image using the image file setting in the copy window and burned at best speed (which for this drive is a maximum 8x}. Everything proceeded without any problem. The disc plays in my standalone DVD player.

In the past that particular error could appear when the drive's firmware didn't fully support the specific manufacturing code of DVD media. I've read where users can use those discs with Apple's burn tools but not with Toast. I don't have any media other than Verbatim so I can't test others brands. If you are using Verbatim media then do a test by choosing Save as Disc Image and then burn the disc image using the Copy window.

I just did a test with my new 21.5" Intel iMac that has that drive and Toast 10.0.5. It burned fine for me.

I used a Verbatim 16X DVD-R (manufacturing code MCCRG20). The source is a 4.29 GB video DVD disc image file that Toast 10 (possibly 10.0.2) created in October using my MacBook Pro and OS 10.5.x. When I launched Toast the description of the Mac's drive was gobbledygook so I clicked the gear next to the drive's name and re-selected it. The correct description appeared. I selected the disc image using the image file setting in the copy window and burned at best speed (which for this drive is a maximum 8x}. Everything proceeded without any problem. The disc plays in my standalone DVD player.

In the past that particular error could appear when the drive's firmware didn't fully support the specific manufacturing code of DVD media. I've read where users can use those discs with Apple's burn tools but not with Toast. I don't have any media other than Verbatim so I can't test others brands. If you are using Verbatim media then do a test by choosing Save as Disc Image and then burn the disc image using the Copy window.

Thanks for your comments.

I have used a variety of DVD media and the result is always the same—Interface error 5, and the disc is trash. I have also tried to burn a variety of images: VideoTS folders and DMG with the same result. It is time to give up and hope that Apple or Roxio can identify and solve the problem.

Thanks for your comments.

I have used a variety of DVD media and the result is always the same—Interface error 5, and the disc is trash. I have also tried to burn a variety of images: VideoTS folders and DMG with the same result. It is time to give up and hope that Apple or Roxio can identify and solve the problem.

After your report I expected mine to fail, too. Don't know why it is different for me. You say you used various media but did you use the same that I used?

I've had many Macs over the years with the various cheap slot-loading Superdrives Apple installs. I learned early on they are unreliable so I very rarely use a SuperDrive for disc burning. My external tray-loading LaCie drive is so much faster and better.

You noted that Roxio knows about the issue with the GA11N drive. Hopefully they aren't testing with one that works, like mine.

I concur in your assessment that the problem likely is a combination of Toast and the drive's firmware. It possibly could be eSata related since Toast probably was mostly tested with ATA drives, but I'm totally guessing here.

I probably should mention that my drive's firmware version is JA18

Edited by tsantee

After your report I expected mine to fail, too. Don't know why it is different for me. You say you used various media but did you use the same that I used?

I've had many Macs over the years with the various cheap slot-loading Superdrives Apple installs. I learned early on they are unreliable so I very rarely use a SuperDrive for disc burning. My external tray-loading LaCie drive is so much faster and better.

You noted that Roxio knows about the issue with the GA11N drive. Hopefully they aren't testing with one that works, like mine.

I concur in your assessment that the problem likely is a combination of Toast and the drive's firmware. It possibly could be eSata related since Toast probably was mostly tested with ATA drives, but I'm totally guessing here.

I probably should mention that my drive's firmware version is JA18

I too have been a Mac user since 1985 but have never before experienced hardware problems, though in my present situation I am becoming convinced that my particular GA11N drive is faulty (JA18 firmware), in conjunction with some incompatibility between Toast 9/10 and the drive firmware.

In my testing I did use Verbatim, Memorex, Maxell and Pine DVD media; all produced the same error so it is unlikely that the media is a contributor to this problem. Using my MPB (Intel) with 10.5.8 and Toast 9, or Toast 10.0.5, all the DVD media I use burn without problem.

I'm having the same problem, I have a new 21.5 imac and installed Toast 10 titanium and no joy, error 5 every time I try to burn a dvd on matter what brand of media I try. I have been in touch with Apple and they really don't want to know, Apple tested the superdrive and it work fine using the burning software on the OS10.6.2 but as soon as the technician try to burn a dvd using Toast error 5, he said that it is a problem for Roxio to sort out.

I hope that someone sorts it out soon as I am tired of making coasters

I am having the same problem as everyone else here, with this drive:

HL-DT-ST DVDRW GA11N:

Firmware Revision: JA18

I have tried the Maxell 4.7 16x, writes lead out and pukes regardless of speed. I can almost get non-branded (white label) Dl disks to work, but somewhere during the process, typically 5 to 7 minutes into the actual burn, I get a servo error.

Using Burn, I have never had a burn fail, either SL or Dl. Using Mac OS 10.6.2 (Snow Leopard)...As the prious poster said, time to set this aside again and wait... At least the images work...

Very frustrating...

Francois

For the most part I have always used external burners, and I burn at one half or less than the media specs. This seems to have resolved such problems for me. I have both firewire and usb2 external drives. mostly Lite-On mechanisms. I have been pleasantly surprised that one of the cheapest mechanisms has been the most reliable. I burn on average about 200 cd's per month.

If you can try an external drive, see if that helps as a workaround.

My brand new 27" iMac running Snow Leopard with the GA11N drive has the exact same issues mentioned. I've tried numerous brands of DVD and nothing changes.

Has anybody seen a solution to this yet? It's mentioned in the Apple forums with no resolution as well.

Using Mac OS 10.6.2 (Snow Leopard) with both Toast 9 and with Toast 10.0.5 (all versions) to burn a DVD results in the error code "Interface error 5: the connection is unstable" . 'Lead in' writing has started so the resulting DVD is useless.

This problem affects many Mac users, particularly those with the GA11N superdrive in new iMacs, as attested by the Apple Discussion forum on this topic, and there is still no useful response from either Apple or Roxio.

I am in contact with Roxio technical support; they believe the problem is with the firmware in the GA11N drive but the consensus in the Apple Discussion group is that the problem lies with an incompatibility between Toast and OS 10.6.2.

An Update: I have now determined, to my own satisfaction, that the GA11N drive is not the problem in my system, and that THERE IS a compatibility issue between Toast 9/10 and OS 10.6.2. My previous 'verification error' using the OS Burn method appears to have been a media issue.

I can now burn Video TS folders created with Toast (via a disk image) using either the OS Burn or DVDRemaster Pro without problems but continue to get the 'Interface error 5...' when trying to burn via Toast.

An Update: I have now determined, to my own satisfaction, that the GA11N drive is not the problem in my system, and that THERE IS a compatibility issue between Toast 9/10 and OS 10.6.2. My previous 'verification error' using the OS Burn method appears to have been a media issue.

I can now burn Video TS folders created with Toast (via a disk image) using either the OS Burn or DVDRemaster Pro without problems but continue to get the 'Interface error 5...' when trying to burn via Toast.

Another update:

I have just installed an External OWC Mercury Pro Dual Layer DVD +/-RW on my new 21.5" iMac and this unit does burn properly with OS 10.6.2 and Toast 10, while burning on the GA11N internal drive still gives the 'Interface error 5....'. This finding confirms that the problem is between Toast and the GA11N drive and is probably, as suggested by Roxio, a firmware issue in the GA11N drive.

This is a very buggy software made worse by the fact that causes are difficult to pin down. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't without any logical or traceable explanation. It not only affects the basic burning software but also Spin Doctor. Without apparent cause, Spin Doctor refuses to record web content and offers a "help" that is not existent. I suggest that something is deeply wrong with Toast that requires a complete analysis by it creators. The software is awfully buggy and is not worth the money paid for it. I have been a Toast user for years now and the problems persist.

Another update:

I have just installed an External OWC Mercury Pro Dual Layer DVD +/-RW on my new 21.5" iMac and this unit does burn properly with OS 10.6.2 and Toast 10, while burning on the GA11N internal drive still gives the 'Interface error 5....'. This finding confirms that the problem is between Toast and the GA11N drive and is probably, as suggested by Roxio, a firmware issue in the GA11N drive.

Interesting... I found out that my external LaCie burner will work well with Verbatim DVD-R discs. Not so with Imation DVD-R discs. With the latter I get the error but not with the former.

I am having the same problem too.

Am using Snow Leopard with an External OWC Value FW+U2 SuperDrive & Sony DVD+R disks. I am able to burn photo DVDs just fine with Toast 10.0.5 but am geting the connection error when I try to import video from my camcorder. Tried saving the import on the hard disk & then burning a DVD which works except that the video file on the hard disk does not contain any audio. The audio sounds fine during the import but is somehow not captured on the hard disk.

I am having the same problem too.

Am using Snow Leopard with an External OWC Value FW+U2 SuperDrive & Sony DVD+R disks. I am able to burn photo DVDs just fine with Toast 10.0.5 but am geting the connection error when I try to import video from my camcorder. Tried saving the import on the hard disk & then burning a DVD which works except that the video file on the hard disk does not contain any audio. The audio sounds fine during the import but is somehow not captured on the hard disk.

Have you tested to see if it is different when you connect the drive via USB 2 or Firewire (I don't know which you are using)? What format is your camcorder? What are the steps you're doing to import the video?

Have you tested to see if it is different when you connect the drive via USB 2 or Firewire (I don't know which you are using)? What format is your camcorder? What are the steps you're doing to import the video?

Am using Firewire, but it happens with USB 2 also. Camcorder is a Canon ZR45 using DV format. I import it using Toast DVD feature, save it as a Disc image & then convert it to DV format. I then use iDVD to burn the DV file. iDVD is not able to import the file directly from the camcorder due to insufficient memory. I have 2GB which is the maximum for my Mac mini.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Am using Firewire, but it happens with USB 2 also. Camcorder is a Canon ZR45 using DV format. I import it using Toast DVD feature, save it as a Disc image & then convert it to DV format. I then use iDVD to burn the DV file. iDVD is not able to import the file directly from the camcorder due to insufficient memory. I have 2GB which is the maximum for my Mac mini.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

When Toast imports from a DV camcorder I believe it writes the DV video file to the Roxio Converted Items folder. If you change Toast preferences so that the folder doesn't get emptied when quitting Toast, you can easily just add that saved video file to iDVD and skip all the conversions.

I am also having the same problem burning audio CDs - unstable connection - with the same drive, the GA11N with JA18 firmware. Roxio reckon it's the firmware, Apple are puzzled by the idea of an upgraded firmware on that drive. If I burn a CD using iTunes or SndSampler through the iMac's burner, the whole thing works as it should. It is only when using Toast that the problem arises. I bought Toast 10 because I was getting the same result from Toast 8 on my new 21.5 intel iMac. The other thing that bothers me is that SpinDoctor sound seems to be distorted, especially when streaming. I have streamed the same sound to minidisc and the sound there is clean. When loaded from minidisc to SpinDoctor, the sound becomes 'grainy' or broken up. Could this be simply the result of streaming being in 8 bit when SpinDoctor works with 16 bit? I am using Fujifilm and TDK discs and have a pile of 14 coasters so far. OS10.6.2 spend a lot of my retirement time converting my old 78s and LPs to CD, so I am being held up until this problem is sorted out. Incidentally, if anyone else converts old records to CD can I recommend processing with 'ClickRepair'. Use it on auto. It's brilliant. I should add that I have uninstalled and reinstalled six times, following Roxio's instructions, including installing 10.0

I am also having the same problem burning audio CDs - unstable connection - with the same drive, the GA11N with JA18 firmware. Roxio reckon it's the firmware, Apple are puzzled by the idea of an upgraded firmware on that drive. If I burn a CD using iTunes or SndSampler through the iMac's burner, the whole thing works as it should. It is only when using Toast that the problem arises. I bought Toast 10 because I was getting the same result from Toast 8 on my new 21.5 intel iMac. The other thing that bothers me is that SpinDoctor sound seems to be distorted, especially when streaming. I have streamed the same sound to minidisc and the sound there is clean. When loaded from minidisc to SpinDoctor, the sound becomes 'grainy' or broken up. Could this be simply the result of streaming being in 8 bit when SpinDoctor works with 16 bit? I am using Fujifilm and TDK discs and have a pile of 14 coasters so far. OS10.6.2 spend a lot of my retirement time converting my old 78s and LPs to CD, so I am being held up until this problem is sorted out. Incidentally, if anyone else converts old records to CD can I recommend processing with 'ClickRepair'. Use it on auto. It's brilliant. I should add that I have uninstalled and reinstalled six times, following Roxio's instructions, including installing 10.0

There certainly are problems between that drive's firmware and Toast, at least with some media. As I've said before, see if Verbatim media works because that is one brand that all drive manufacturers test with. Apple is only concerned with whether their applications work with their drives and will not modify a drive's firmware because Toast is having problems with it. I don't know the inner working of Roxio or Toast so I don't know if it is something that can or will be changed in Toast to make it work with that drive. If Verbatim media works then that's the solution.

An external DVD drive is a wonderful thing to have. They perform so much better than Apple's slot-loading superdrives.

I'm not sure about the issue you're describing with Spin Doctor. I presume by "streaming" you're referring to the Auto music capture. You can save those as 16-bit at the end of the Spin Doctor capture. If you're using Spin Doctor to work with 8 bit recordings from another source then I can expect some loss of audio quality if Spin Doctor raises the bit rate to 16 because that requires interpolating a lot of info. I haven't worked with 8-bit audio tracks so I don't know how they sound after this. Maybe you need to keep them as 8 bit which can be done with QuickTime Pro or an audio editing application.

I haven't tried ClickRepair. Toast Pro comes with Bias SoundSoap which is excellent at eliminating background noise.

There certainly are problems between that drive's firmware and Toast, at least with some media. As I've said before, see if Verbatim media works because that is one brand that all drive manufacturers test with. Apple is only concerned with whether their applications work with their drives and will not modify a drive's firmware because Toast is having problems with it. I don't know the inner working of Roxio or Toast so I don't know if it is something that can or will be changed in Toast to make it work with that drive. If Verbatim media works then that's the solution."

Just left the Genius Bar after upgrading to the new toast in the faint hope roxio would work. Apple is adamant that SL broke roxio, but it's roxio's job to fix it.. As roxio shows that you need Mac OS X v10.5.x.

So the hope is at some point Roxio will update their software to be fully compatible, while roxio's position is Apple should be reverse compatible. I have given up hope at this point.

Francois

Just left the Genius Bar after upgrading to the new toast in the faint hope roxio would work. Apple is adamant that SL broke roxio, but it's roxio's job to fix it.. As roxio shows that you need Mac OS X v10.5.x.

So the hope is at some point Roxio will update their software to be fully compatible, while roxio's position is Apple should be reverse compatible. I have given up hope at this point.

Francois

Roxio says the more recent updates to Toast 10 do support running it in OS 10.6. I have not had a failed burn with Toast 10 but I don't use Toast for all the things it is designed to do, so I depend on posts by others to learn about problems. As I noted awhile back, Toast burned a Verbatim-brand disc fine with the GA11N drive on my brand-new iMac and that was before the 10.0.6 Toast update. It is true that Snow Leopard caused a lot of problems with Toast but Roxio has released three different updates to address these issues so it is obvious they are working diligently on this.

Thanks a lot for the suggestion. That cut out a few steps.

When Toast imports from a DV camcorder I believe it writes the DV video file to the Roxio Converted Items folder. If you change Toast preferences so that the folder doesn't get emptied when quitting Toast, you can easily just add that saved video file to iDVD and skip all the conversions.

Thanks a lot for the suggestion. That cut out a few steps

I have reinstalled Toast 10.0 for the sixth time, each time following Roxio's instructions This time it appears to work properly. I copied a CD and assembled another to test it, and both times it burnt at up to 17x.The thing that interests me is that Roxio's instructions ask you to remove 'Deja Vu' items and 'DivX' items, none of which I have ever found, but on the last twice of uninstalling, there has been no sign of 'widgets' or 'CDSD Recorder' nor the 'CDSpinDoctor folder' from Library/Application Support/ SpinDoctor has gone awry (I have posted a separate note under that heading - it won't save, but I have found a workaround) However, this whole episode has shot a hole in Roxio's reputation from my point of view. The help on their website is patchy and the business of numbered tickets becomes ludicrous when you have two separate issues.

Roxio says the more recent updates to Toast 10 do support running it in OS 10.6. I have not had a failed burn with Toast 10 but I don't use Toast for all the things it is designed to do, so I depend on posts by others to learn about problems. As I noted awhile back, Toast burned a Verbatim-brand disc fine with the GA11N drive on my brand-new iMac and that was before the 10.0.6 Toast update. It is true that Snow Leopard caused a lot of problems with Toast but Roxio has released three different updates to address these issues so it is obvious they are working diligently on this.

I have tried all sorts of media and am now using Verbatim with the same result, which firmware version do you have? And see a post a couple down talking about deja vu and Divx, which I believe I have installed...I'll search the forum on those and see what comes up..

PS. I am using JA18 ..

Francois

I have tried all sorts of media and am now using Verbatim with the same result, which firmware version do you have? And see a post a couple down talking about deja vu and Divx, which I believe I have installed...I'll search the forum on those and see what comes up..

PS. I am using JA18 ..

Francois

Mine has the JA18 firmware. I'm really confused now because I did some more tests. I already had a successful burn to Verbatim DVD-R but now I've burned an audio CD to Sony CD-R and a VIDEO_TS to Office Depot DVD-RW. All burned without any problem. I chose 10X as the speed for the CD because I always burn audio CDs at the slowest available speed. I used Best as the speed for the DVD-RW (which is 4X).

I don't know why I'm not having the problems with this drive and Toast that others are having.

Mine has the JA18 firmware. I'm really confused now because I did some more tests. I already had a successful burn to Verbatim DVD-R but now I've burned an audio CD to Sony CD-R and a VIDEO_TS to Office Depot DVD-RW. All burned without any problem. I chose 10X as the speed for the CD because I always burn audio CDs at the slowest available speed. I used Best as the speed for the DVD-RW (which is 4X).

I don't know why I'm not having the problems with this drive and Toast that others are having.

Same OS & Burning hardware, we would say it would be in the rest of the hardware chain, perhaps the SATA controller chip-set... it's a mystery wrapped in an enigma...

This is mine:

Model Name: iMac

Model Identifier: iMac10,1

Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo

Processor Speed: 3.06 GHz

Number Of Processors: 1

Total Number Of Cores: 2

L2 Cache: 3 MB

Memory: 4 GB

Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz

Boot ROM Version: IM101.00CC.B00

SMC Version (system): 1.52f9

I received the standard reply from Roxio on what to try, did so, none solved the problem, although on the slowest speeds CD's will burn about a third of the time... DVD's one in 5 after a reboot..I have yet to not been able to burn with Finder or Burn or the trial version of Dragon burn, so Apple will not replace the drive as they say there is nothing wrong with it...

Anyhow we appreciate your help, we're glad the product is working for you, that gives me hope :-)

Francois

Edited by Francois_4256