• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 12 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

VideoWave creates semi-overlapping images

whatISwrongWITHthis

Question

The problem I’m encountering appears while still working with the files in VideoWave. When I hit the ‘play’ button, some of the pictures/movie clips overlap poorly and the result looks someone tossed a stack of pictures onto the screen after a minute or so of the production. What is happening is the previous image is not ‘going away’ & creates a background for subsequent smaller images. This has nothing to do with the method I’m using to save the VideoWave production and it occurs before I import into MyDVD.

Here is the system information:

Vista Home Premium

Service Pack 1

Intel Core2 Quad CPU

4 GB RAM

32 bit operating system

Hard drive 456 GB with 168 GB free

VideoWave Production settings – defaulting handling for non-16:9 sources: show entire source

Background fill – gradient

Automotion applied to all still shots

Dissolve applied to all transitions

Default still image = 6 sec

I purchased Easy Media Creator 10 in 12/2007 (this is my 3rd upgrade) & am now being told they no longer support it - - of course they want me to purchase ANOTHER upgrade.

Any suggestions out there or do I simply pitch this program and go with a different company (this is the LAST Roxio product I'll buy now that I understand they aren't going to support it!) :angry:

17 answers to this question

Talk to Nvidia because they need to know that their drivers "break" Creator 2010. They should already know beacuse Roxio and other users have probably talked to them. If NVidia doesn't account for the problem, the next set of drivers will break Cretaor 2010 again.

Intersting, I just read the release notes for the latest driver and they do not list know issues with programs. ATI does list issues in their release notes.

Thank you very much, "KID", ; I 'changed' the download into the vista 64 version of that driver, installed it and it did, indeed, fix the overlapping/retention problem that I experienced with the latest drivers...not just the latest driver. I believe that you have posted the request to investigate that issue with those newer drives on the Nvidia forum, am I correct?

For right now I left the ATI card in the computer as well - in case I have to switch again. The 'test' will be when it comes to rendering and then creating DVD menu/layout and burning. This is where I have previously run into problems with older drivers. Crossing fingers that this driver will do what it is suppose to do - even though I am anticipating a much slower performance.

BTW. Just in case this may be interesting for some who are 'deeper' into the World of Editing: My oldest son is a professional editor for TV shows, Commercials, special projects and much more. For that he certainly does not use PCs but all Macs. Nevertheless, using his Final Cut and other professional Editing programs, he, too, has experienced issues with Nvidia drivers causing crashes, especially when using plug-ins. Although Nvidia (and the companies associated with it) are aware of those problems they have not done anything to rectify them. Or, if they have - then they were not successful, as my son had no choice but to switch to a very high end ATI card, as using older drivers in his systems are out of the question.

Makes me wonder what Nvidia is thinking and if they are realizing that by ignoring such problems they are using current and potentially future customers. Strange, is it not?

Again, I appreciate your suggestion as to that specific driver version, "Kid", and I will post back if and when I hear from Nvidia and also as to the end-result of my full slide-show creating experience with that driver. :)

I have been experiencing a similar problem after upgrading from Creator 2009 to Creator 2010, running it in W7 Pro64 with, yes, a Nvidia 8000 series graphics card. In general it is suggested to install the latest driver, which I did, but neither it nor the couple previous ones eliminated the overlapping/retention problem of photos within a slide-show WITH TRANSITIONS. Without transitions, no problems, by the way - but since I enjoy creating rather elaborate slide-shows , using quite a few tracks and a variety of effects, transitions are pretty much a 'must'.

Hence, the only solution for me was to exchange the graphics card, which I hated to do since I had to take out my otherwise very nice Nvidia Card and exchange it with a much lesser quality AVI card that was my spare, as in last resort! I notice the difference as in the negative, but I also notice that at least the Video Wave 2010 produces no more overlapping photos, no matter how many transitions I 'throw' at it. (PS. My computer is not a brand-name, but my own 'concoction', lol, with half the parts about 2 years old, the others anywhere between then and now. ;) )

My question now would be (and mind you, as per suggestion within another topic here at http://forums.support.roxio.com/index.php?showtopic=59007 I DID ask Roxio Support directly, explaining the issue as well as the possible reasons as explained by Roxio Experts within this Community, and received a reply telling me to...check out the Community and Knowledge Center for answers. Good Grief!!!) if anyone knows who would be the responsible 'party' to request appropriate changes from that will not require exchanging the graphics card, never mind the brand, as in general I prefer Nvidia over AVI.

Since the problem did not happen in Creator 2009 (which I was able to use in Windows7 all the way back to Beta almost a year ago) but started with Creator 2010, using the same computer and components, it must be something within the Creator 2010 that is disagreeing with the Nvidia Card. So, what next? Try Roxio Support again? Talk to the Nvidia people?

I don't want to give up Roxio Creator, but neither do I really want to downgrade my computers' components. I can't wait to put the Nvidia Card back in or, if necessary, purchase another one...but upgrading it, not downgrading.

I would appreciate any suggestions. Thank you so very much. :)

Good bashing of ATI. LOL. Dead wrong, but a good bash anyway. It is a matter of preference.

What ATI card did you put in to replace the NVidia 8000 series card?

OK, time for another update on the matter:

Nvidia, aka customer care person named Farzana, replied to my inquiry as to possibly releasing a fully compatible new driver with the usual questions what the problems may be...which I had already explained in detail anyway. I politely repeated the gist of the issue, again asking them to consider releasing drivers that would not cause major problems with Editing Programs. This was obviously beyond Farzana's expertise, as I received a reply indicating that the case had been escalated to Level 2 Tech Support group, which would attempt to figure out a solution and let me know if and when they did, but that this would take some time.

Indeed it does, as it has been almost a couple of weeks since the reply and no updates from Nvidia. One would think that it should not be that difficult to figure out the difference in the build of the working and not working drivers and consequently figure out the necessary changes.

Meanwhile I have been able to create a short (about 10 minutes I believe) slide show with a few effects, including transitions, and was also able to successfully render it and create a working DVD. The process was a bit slow, though.

Since then I have switched cards again. Took the Nvidia out and installed my newly purchased ATI Radeon HD 4670, which has good reviews and seems to be a solid card. The picture quality seems to be good, the test re working transitions came out OK, but I have not had the chance yet to create a new project to compare ability and speed of the new ATI with new drivers versus the older Nvidia with the older driver.

I will post again once I have more feedback on the subject to offer. :)

Thank you very much, "KID", ; I 'changed' the download into the vista 64 version of that driver, installed it and it did, indeed, fix the overlapping/retention problem that I experienced with the latest drivers...not just the latest driver.

Glad to hear that resolved the issue. :)

I believe that you have posted the request to investigate that issue with those newer drives on the Nvidia forum, am I correct?

Yes, I posted the problem in the nVidia forum, and to date, no one has replied to it. :angry: I think the majority of posters there are gamers, and not video editing enthusiasts.

Again, I appreciate your suggestion as to that specific driver version, "Kid", and I will post back if and when I hear from Nvidia and also as to the end-result of my full slide-show creating experience with that driver. :)

You're welcome. We'll wait for the posting of your result. ;)

OK, I contacted Nvidia in reference to this issue. I checked THEIR Support Forums first and came across one Topic created by Roxio Community Member in the middle of December, but no reply/answer from anyone, unfortunately. Which is why I submitted a 'ticket' to Nvidia directly, ignoring the fact that my card is by EVEDA, as this is getting too compliacted...Peter shoving it over to Paul, etc.

If and when I get a reply from Nvidia, I will certainly pass it on right here.

As to my momentary dislike of ATI cards - it is based on MY experiences with a variety of ATI and Nvidia cards, resulting in having all over all better luck with Nvidia cards than ATI.

Now, I generally do NOT build computers for others, since I don't have the time to maintain them non-stop, but as a local computer-tech I DO repair and maintain a variety of computers other than 'just' my own.

The 'just' in quotes, because I usually have between 6 and 10 working PCs in my house...I just donated about 12 non-working ones and parts to the local Goodwill Computer Store. I am not a gamer and therefore I do not need the really 'high-powered' cards, no matter which brand. But, I do buy cards that are 'upper end' at the time of purchase. The Nvidia card I took out is a e-GeForce 8600 GT and has been doing a good job in/for my main computer (quad), which right now runs three CD/DVD drives, five internal hard drives and a variety of external ones.

I used a an ATI X1650 PRO PCIE in my secondary computer (dual) and had problems with it (a variety of glitches) from the beginning and have now taken it out and exchanged it for an older Nvidia card - ironic, huh? ;)

The ATI card I have now installed instead of the Nvidia 8600 is an ATI Radeon HD 2400 PRO. It works well enough, but does not give me the clarity and brilliance of the W7 system, which I don't expect from it anyway.

I really do not bash ATI - I just am saying that personally I prefer Nvidia cards. It's a bit like driving a Chevy or a Ford, I guess. If you have a good experienced with ATI card, I do not mind checking a higher end model out that you could maybe recommend? I am always open to suggestions and like hearing about experiences from others PC uses. Thanks. :)

Good bashing of ATI. LOL. Dead wrong, but a good bash anyway. It is a matter of preference.

What ATI card did you put in to replace the NVidia 8000 series card?

Yikes. This is getting to be a major mess. I put the graphics card into my computer because my Microsoft Flight Sim software pretty much needed it (I have been working on getting a pilots license for a couple of years now & have resorted to 'virtual flying' until I can get finished with all the training).

It's rather crazy to think I have to choose between MS Flight Sim use & running video productions!

I guess I'll hang up my spurs on the video stuff until someone (ANYONE) comes out with drivers that actually work & don't conflict.

Thanks for all the advice everyone! :unsure:

Just another brief update, even though nothing exciting to report. Never heard back from Nvidia again, so don't know if they fixed something on THEIR end, which - to my believe - they should have done since driver issues had occurred not just with Roxio's Creator 2010 (and 2009), but other editing software as well.

I have not re-installed my 'old' Nvidia card to test again, but for right now am staying with the ATI card since there does not seem to be any reason NOT to do so. A couple of short slide-shows I created with the Video Wave and exported and burned to DVD using Roxio as well, and that process worked well.

The next 'test' will be when I am ready to finalize and create a DVD with actually moving videos, as those require quite a bit more working-power from and by the graphics card.

Thanks again for all the help for this issue and so many others discussed in this Forum. :)

If you have nVidia video card, try to roll back to an earlier version of the driver. If version 182.50 applies to your card, give that driver version a try.

Sorry, I guess I haven't had email notification set-up on this thread...

The card I have is the following: EVGA 01G-P3-1227-LR GeForce GT 220 SSC Edition 1GB 128-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card. I'm pretty clueless on this stuff - is that a nVidia card??

OK, I contacted Nvidia in reference to this issue. I checked THEIR Support Forums first and came across one Topic created by Roxio Community Member in the middle of December, but no reply/answer from anyone, unfortunately. Which is why I submitted a 'ticket' to Nvidia directly, ignoring the fact that my card is by EVEDA, as this is getting too compliacted...Peter shoving it over to Paul, etc.

If and when I get a reply from Nvidia, I will certainly pass it on right here.

As to my momentary dislike of ATI cards - it is based on MY experiences with a variety of ATI and Nvidia cards, resulting in having all over all better luck with Nvidia cards than ATI.

Now, I generally do NOT build computers for others, since I don't have the time to maintain them non-stop, but as a local computer-tech I DO repair and maintain a variety of computers other than 'just' my own.

The 'just' in quotes, because I usually have between 6 and 10 working PCs in my house...I just donated about 12 non-working ones and parts to the local Goodwill Computer Store. I am not a gamer and therefore I do not need the really 'high-powered' cards, no matter which brand. But, I do buy cards that are 'upper end' at the time of purchase. The Nvidia card I took out is a e-GeForce 8600 GT and has been doing a good job in/for my main computer (quad), which right now runs three CD/DVD drives, five internal hard drives and a variety of external ones.

I used a an ATI X1650 PRO PCIE in my secondary computer (dual) and had problems with it (a variety of glitches) from the beginning and have now taken it out and exchanged it for an older Nvidia card - ironic, huh? ;)

The ATI card I have now installed instead of the Nvidia 8600 is an ATI Radeon HD 2400 PRO. It works well enough, but does not give me the clarity and brilliance of the W7 system, which I don't expect from it anyway.

I really do not bash ATI - I just am saying that personally I prefer Nvidia cards. It's a bit like driving a Chevy or a Ford, I guess. If you have a good experienced with ATI card, I do not mind checking a higher end model out that you could maybe recommend? I am always open to suggestions and like hearing about experiences from others PC uses. Thanks. :)

Not exactly like Chevy and Ford, but maybe one's mindset would make it that way. I have had high end NVidia cards in my systems, a few times, and I won't say that I will never have another, but I certainly hope I won't. I am an ATI person. :)

I have been experiencing a similar problem after upgrading from Creator 2009 to Creator 2010, running it in W7 Pro64 with, yes, a Nvidia 8000 series graphics card. In general it is suggested to install the latest driver, which I did, but neither it nor the couple previous ones eliminated the overlapping/retention problem of photos within a slide-show WITH TRANSITIONS. Without transitions, no problems, by the way - but since I enjoy creating rather elaborate slide-shows , using quite a few tracks and a variety of effects, transitions are pretty much a 'must'.

Hence, the only solution for me was to exchange the graphics card, which I hated to do since I had to take out my otherwise very nice Nvidia Card and exchange it with a much lesser quality AVI card that was my spare, as in last resort! I notice the difference as in the negative, but I also notice that at least the Video Wave 2010 produces no more overlapping photos, no matter how many transitions I 'throw' at it. (PS. My computer is not a brand-name, but my own 'concoction', lol, with half the parts about 2 years old, the others anywhere between then and now. ;) )

My question now would be (and mind you, as per suggestion within another topic here at http://forums.support.roxio.com/index.php?showtopic=59007 I DID ask Roxio Support directly, explaining the issue as well as the possible reasons as explained by Roxio Experts within this Community, and received a reply telling me to...check out the Community and Knowledge Center for answers. Good Grief!!!) if anyone knows who would be the responsible 'party' to request appropriate changes from that will not require exchanging the graphics card, never mind the brand, as in general I prefer Nvidia over AVI.

Since the problem did not happen in Creator 2009 (which I was able to use in Windows7 all the way back to Beta almost a year ago) but started with Creator 2010, using the same computer and components, it must be something within the Creator 2010 that is disagreeing with the Nvidia Card. So, what next? Try Roxio Support again? Talk to the Nvidia people?

I don't want to give up Roxio Creator, but neither do I really want to downgrade my computers' components. I can't wait to put the Nvidia Card back in or, if necessary, purchase another one...but upgrading it, not downgrading.

I would appreciate any suggestions. Thank you so very much. :)

Well, that is fine, Bruce. You base your preferences on your experiences and the same goes for me. Your computers are not build like mine and visa versa. Maybe you even use yours for different purposes than I do. Either way, I accept that you prefer ATI cards for your reasons, and I generally prefer Nvidia cards because in my systems they have worked more reliably.

Having said that - it really is not fair to either company to generalize when there are so many different models available, not to mention the endless options of computer configurations. My opinion is that as long as the cards, no matter Nvidia or ATI, work well for you, for anyone, then those are the right cards installed.

My problem right now is, after all, not with the card but with the drivers; I have yet to receive an answer from Nvidia - and I am honestly not holding my breath. I guess I have to seriously consider the purchase of a new card. As much as I like to stick with Nvidia - since even the newer ones are using the same driver, I am assuming I would be running into the same issues, correct?

I may have to go with ATI - again, Bruce, any suggestion as to a good card in the 100 dollar range...I don't want to spend more right now. Thanks. :)

Archived