gfcatlanta

Newbie questions on CD/DVD labeling...

Question

I just installed EMC8, it comes with a simple labelmaker software, and I wondered if could get some opinions on the below...

My understanding is that there are basically about three ways to label CDs, aside from handwriting, and the options are:

a) paper adhesive labels,

B) get a printer (around $100?) that prints on special print-ON CDs and DVDs, or

c) use lightscribe combo drive (around $100) internal or external, along with lightscribe-ready CD's and DVDs

Brief questions are...

1) Are these pretty much the options for now? Anything new on horizon?

2) Since paper is the easiest/fastest, can someone recommend some good all around brands/systems? Ideally, adhesive labels that are reasonably priced and reasonably 'available' from most local mainstream stores.

3) Can I get gloss labels? Do they look better and less "homemade"? Any drawbacks? Are there any quasi-plastic (non- pure pulp paper) labels that are thin and work very well?

4) I had seem some research that balked about using adhesive labels, said they pull on CDs/DVDs and warp/arch them. Sounded like it only takes a few months. Is this real, or only with certan types/brands of labels, or only after 10 years, or just hype from someone?

Thanks,

George

4 answers to this question

Probably about 90 plus % of people who frequently create discs using this program use a CD marker. Non-solvent type It doesn't look as good but Is great for preserving the discs.

1) Paper labels can delaminate or just lift potentially causing an imbalance in the cd/dvd that could cause it to self destruct in the player.

2) Lightscribe is about a year away from being a reasonable option. Currently they are great if you like various shades of the "green" color. I also question the thought process of burning on a media that is just above the media that you burn your movies on.

3) I don't have any opinion on the paint on labels. I saw a printer that will do that for around $50. I think they look better than either of the above.

Suggestion: If you are archiving the movie, use the pen; if you are handing out cd/dvd to friend who you want to impress and they will listen to /watch the cd/dvd a couple of times and put it into a drawer, than I would probably recommend paint on labels unless someone else has has a problem with them. (Costs not factored in.) You may also want to look at other labeling programs other than Label Creator. I'm less than impressed and many people have had problems.

I just installed EMC8, it comes with a simple labelmaker software, and I wondered if could get some opinions on the below...

My understanding is that there are basically about three ways to label CDs, aside from handwriting, and the options are:

a) paper adhesive labels,

:) get a printer (around $100?) that prints on special print-ON CDs and DVDs, or

c) use lightscribe combo drive (around $100) internal or external, along with lightscribe-ready CD's and DVDs

Brief questions are...

1) Are these pretty much the options for now? Anything new on horizon?

2) Since paper is the easiest/fastest, can someone recommend some good all around brands/systems? Ideally, adhesive labels that are reasonably priced and reasonably 'available' from most local mainstream stores.

3) Can I get gloss labels? Do they look better and less "homemade"? Any drawbacks? Are there any quasi-plastic (non- pure pulp paper) labels that are thin and work very well?

4) I had seem some research that balked about using adhesive labels, said they pull on CDs/DVDs and warp/arch them. Sounded like it only takes a few months. Is this real, or only with certan types/brands of labels, or only after 10 years, or just hype from someone?

Thanks,

George

Thank you for suggestions,

-Could you (or others) possibly mention which printer&model is around $50 or even up to maybe $70 or so, that would do the paint-on labels? Are the inks expensive?

-If a paint-on label printer is used, does that mean I have to buy special CDs, like white ones. Or will the ubiquitous shiny silver ones work fine? Does it paint over the lasered-in manufacturer's logo and markings (I assume that's the way they get the sort of holographic-looking marking onto these CDs)

-If I have to go to a marker, which is pretty much back to writing just a few words, then what about using a Dymo LetraTag...it has several tapes, including clear thin 'plastic' tape about 1/2 inch wide, and it can print bold black letters. So seems like that would look great and be minimal weight and adhesive disturbance to CD? Any comments appreciated.

Thanks again,

George

Edited by gfcatlanta

1) You have a limited choice for a printer. This one is $100 but you may find it on sale somewhere. Fry's had a bunch of them - refurbished for $50.

2) Yes, you must print on printable cd/dvds. Use anything else at your own risk. I'm not sure of the solvent they use for the ink but it may attack the suface of the cd/dvd.

3) Possibly same things with the tags (glue attacking the surface). The surface of the disc is really the reflective layer just below where you see the logo and other disc information,

Thank you for suggestions,

-Could you (or others) possibly mention which printer&model is around $50 or even up to maybe $70 or so, that would do the paint-on labels? Are the inks expensive?

-If a paint-on label printer is used, does that mean I have to buy special CDs, like white ones. Or will the ubiquitous shiny silver ones work fine? Does it paint over the lasered-in manufacturer's logo and markings (I assume that's the way they get the sort of holographic-looking marking onto these CDs)

-If I have to go to a marker, which is pretty much back to writing just a few words, then what about using a Dymo LetraTag...it has several tapes, including clear thin 'plastic' tape about 1/2 inch wide, and it can print bold black letters. So seems like that would look great and be minimal weight and adhesive disturbance to CD? Any comments appreciated.

Thanks again,

George

Dymo LetraTag...it has several tapes, including clear thin 'plastic' tape about 1/2 inch wide, and it can print bold black letters. So seems like that would look great and be minimal weight and adhesive disturbance to CD? Any comments appreciated. ( JUNK)

Use a Sharpie write on the disc.

a) paper adhesive labels, ( JUNK )

:) get a printer (around $100?) that prints on special print-ON CDs and DVDs, or

Getting Started with Inkjet/Thermal Printable CD & DVD Media

Looking for a way to energize your CDs and DVDs? Maybe you're making movies for your family, discs of your band for promotion, or catalogs for your business. Inkjet printable CD-R and DVD media offers you a great way to personalize and customize your creations.

Printing directly to your media offers certain advantages over using labels:

Cheaper

It's generally cheaper to buy printable inkjet media than to buy both media and labels. While the printer might represent an additional expense, you need a printer to print labels anyway; a media-capable printer costs about the same as a better inkjet printer.

Easier

It's easier than placing labels on many discs, as most printers have easy-to-use disc alignment.

Safer

Labels can peel and cause damage to drive and player mechanisms; because the inkjet surface is part of the media, drive damage is less likely, regardless of storage conditions. Inkjet media is also safer in slot-loaded optical drives.

Lightscribe or new Label Flash drive $50 to $75 muted negative like pics,

and need special pricey media.

Scroll to the bottom of this link for pics.

http://www.micheldeboer.nl/flash-light/

cdanteek