No Signal

ian38018

Question

Hi Folks

I have read many of the problems users are having re poor quality etc, and quite frankly would love to be seeing these issues. I cannot even get the software to identify a signal from my VHS player.

All the software appears set up OK - I have downloaded the Support pack 4, and my Capture USB is recognised, but the red "No signal" message remains. The VHS player I am using is Samsung SV-243B, which has a Scart socket at the rear. Into this I have plugged a Scart/RCA adapter, and connected three (red/yellow/white) rca sockets which go to the Capture USB and nence into the PC. But No Signal - anyone got any ideas? And, yes, the player is switched on and set to play.

Ian[size="5"

15 answers to this question

Does it work if you plug into your TV.

What was wrong with your original Scart, it does not use S-Video output, just connect the Yellow/White/Red outputs to your USB device

It is B&W on the TV as well, which leads me to believe my VCR does not output S-Video.

(The reason I ditched the original scart was I could not get anything out of it !)

So, it seems the options are to abandon hope of using the superior S-Video line, and obtain a Scart to Yellow/White/Red cable or

purchase an S-VCR.

It is B&W on the TV as well, which leads me to believe my VCR does not output S-Video.

(The reason I ditched the original scart was I could not get anything out of it !)

So, it seems the options are to abandon hope of using the superior S-Video line, and obtain a Scart to Yellow/White/Red cable or

purchase an S-VCR.

Your original Scart had the Yellow/Red/White connections on it (composite), try using it. In Canada you can get them at the Dollar store, you could try the Pound store over there. Obviously these are cheap cables, but if your happy with them, what the hell.

It is not actually a SCART cable I have, but just the adapter (see below) - maybe a trip to my local freindly electrical store is required to check it is doing what I want it to do. ieurl="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TV-Adaptor-RGB-Scart-to-3-x-RCA-Phono-AV-audio-video_W0QQitemZ290371302750QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_VideoGames_VideoGameAccessories

_VideoGameAccessories_JN?hash=item439b7a755e"]V[/url]

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Ian

Did you get your Scart cable to work. Would be nice to know in case we get another user with the same problem.

Did you get your Scart cable to work. Would be nice to know in case we get another user with the same problem.

I purchased this little chap:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=35910

which connects directly into the Roxio Video Capture USB at one end and the back of the vcr at the other.

I get a black and white video image, but no sound. And the No Signal message is still there.

Any ideas, anyone?

Ian

I purchased this little chap:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=35910

which connects directly into the Roxio Video Capture USB at one end and the back of the vcr at the other.

I get a black and white video image, but no sound. And the No Signal message is still there.

Any ideas, anyone?

Ian

Ah Progress - found a little enable audio preview icon under Options - footage still in black & white though.

You have got the switch on the Scart set to out.

Also, is it hooked up this way:

post-68-1262621294.png

post-68-1262621306.png

Yes, connected that way. Also have Scart set to out (switching to in makes image and sound disappear altogether).

Rather disconcertingly found the following info on Wikipedia:

Both S-Video and audio (mono or stereo) signals can be transferred through SCART connections as well. However, it was not part of the original SCART standard, and not every SCART-compatible device supports it for this reason. Also, S-Video and RGB are mutually exclusive through SCART, due to the S-Video implementation's using the pins allocated for RGB. Most SCART-equipped televisions and VCRs (and almost all of the older ones) do not actually support S-Video, resulting in a monochrome picture if such a connection is attempted, as only the luminance signal portion is usable. Generally, a monochrome picture in itself can also be a sign of incompatible color encoding: for example, NTSC material viewed through a PAL-only device.

Another incompatibility due to S-Video's not being part of the original SCART standard is when connecting a SCART output device such as a cable TV box to a TV with a mini-DIN S-Video input. In many cases, if this connection is made, the result will be a predominantly black-and-white picture, with most of the color (chrominance signal) washed out. An example of this is when connecting a SCART output of a FOXTEL Digital Box (Australia) to a mini-DIN S-Video input of a TV. An impedance mismatch between the SCART and mini-DIN interfaces causes the signal levels to be reduced to the TV, resulting in the poor picture. This problem can be overcome by terminating the chrominance line of the SCART plug with a 75-ohm resistor, correcting the mismatch. Many high-end sets do support this connection, however (without the termination), due to their inputs' having a larger dynamic range.

I do not claim to understand all of this - could it be my VCR is not putting out S-video signal? Is there any way of checking?

Thanks again (?Mr) Ogden.

Ian

Does your Scart cable look like this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hama-Phono-SCART-S...9242&sr=8-1

The majority of SCART/RCA adaptors are either in or out but not both - you need to be 100% certain you have the correct type.

It is not actually a SCART cable I have, but just the adapter (see below) - maybe a trip to my local freindly electrical store is required to check it is doing what I want it to do. ieurl="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TV-Adaptor-RGB-Scart-to-3-x-RCA-Phono-AV-audio-video_W0QQitemZ290371302750QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_VideoGames_VideoGameAccessories

Ian

Ian

That one looks ok. The specs on it say "Left and right audio and S-VHS - all 'in' or 'out', via on board switch".In your case you want to set it for "out". Remember, if you are using the S-Video jack as your output don't use the yellow(video) cord.

Your original Scart had the Yellow/Red/White connections on it (composite), try using it. In Canada you can get them at the Dollar store, you could try the Pound store over there. Obviously these are cheap cables, but if your happy with them, what the hell.

Got it working - and delighted with results.

The moral of the tale is:

If you wish to use S-Video to capture video ensure that your VCR actually outputs a signal in that format. Just because you shove a SCART adapter into the back of the VCR, and ths adapter has an S-Video socket, do not assume any signal is coming out there.

If you are using a SCART, ensure it has an option of in/out switch (this may seem obvious, but many SCART plugs appear to be one way only.

Thanks Ogdens

Ian

Got it working - and delighted with results.

The moral of the tale is:

If you wish to use S-Video to capture video ensure that your VCR actually outputs a signal in that format. Just because you shove a SCART adapter into the back of the VCR, and ths adapter has an S-Video socket, do not assume any signal is coming out there.

If you are using a SCART, ensure it has an option of in/out switch (this may seem obvious, but many SCART plugs appear to be one way only.

Thanks Ogdens

Ian

Glad you got it going, good luck. Thanks for getting back to us, a lot of users do not.

Archived