• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 13 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

error while burning dvd

cornerstone-llc

Question

18 answers to this question

Curious - if I do step 2 and it works - what does that tell you. Also - can you make a recommendation on a DVD burner - what do you use ?

Thanks

You do understand the whole Cart -- Horse concept right???

Generally the cheapest burner I can find! I go down to MicroCenter in Philly and fight my way to one of the cardboard cartons they have sitting on the floor :o

My first CD Burner was a 2X for $550 in '97… Don't want to do that again! :angry:

Thanks for the reply. That excludes the DL idea. I'm still suspicious of your disc, though.

I have an old DLink router with a built-in firewall, but I always disconnect and disable the AV when I'm installing anything as touchy as Roxio software.

I live down in the South Pacific at the end of a very long canoe ride, so I'm afraid I can't help with good recommendations for hardware you can get in the USA. :)

You are suspicious of my disc - do you mean the media ( Memorex DVD+W ) or the disc drive itself. You mentioned previously that the DVD portion of the drive may be on the blink - seems strange in that Ive burned a great many more CDs than DVDs. In fact all said in done Ive probably burned a dozen DVDs in the life of this system. Couldt it be a dirt issue - maybe some dust is in there - Ill try cleaning it. Nevertheless - I too am suspicious of the drive.

Cornerstone

If I had your email address I could send you a screen shot of the error I received while burning the ISO image to the Memorex DVDRW disc. This is the short version of the error - it occurred at approximately 50% complete:

"There was a problem writing to the disc. You can try clicking the retry button......................."

"Sense: 02 ASC: 04 ASCQ: 08 ( Command 00 ) "

Then following below that line are about 8 lines or so of various Px files and related version numbers.

What I dont get is that this system burns CDs just fine. In fact previous to using creator 2010 I was using the VHS2DVD program and created numerous DVDs from VHS with no issues on this same system !

HHHHHHHMMMMMMMMMMMM

Any and all help is appreciated

Memorex is generally not considered to be worth the effort needed to unpack it…

Combine low quality media with a Burner that may be at the bottom of its' specs and you got trouble!

If it doesn't say Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden, don't bring it into the house…

Memorex is widely known to be inferior and I've not tried Imation in a long time but you can try burning at a slower speed.

And you might try burning to an image file instead of direct to disc.

Actually this is captured vhs to a file on an external hard drive - then i create the dvd using MyDVD. I am burning at 2.4 x.

For what its worth the drive creates CDs ( Imation ) just fine.

Any help is appreciated

Have you tried doing what Paul suggested?

Separate the actions of encoding and burning, so you can see which one is really giving the problem.

-Encode and "burn" to an image on the hard drive, and then actually burn the image to disc.

I will admit I am no wiz at this so hang in there. By encode and "burn" image to hard drive to you mean create an iso image on the hard drive - then burn the iso image to the dvd ?

cornerstone

I will admit I am no wiz at this so hang in there. By encode and "burn" image to hard drive to you mean create an iso image on the hard drive - then burn the iso image to the dvd ?

cornerstone

Yes!

In MyDVD clear the checkmark by Burn to disc and put one by Save disc image file.

Make a note where it is going to make that ISO file!!!

After it completes, close MyDVD, then in the Home app, Data/Copy tab, choose Burn Disc Image (under the Create section).

post-39730-1262093847.jpg

Try it on your DVD RW media first.

Breaking it into 2 steps like this increases the chance of success as well as helping to isolate where the actual failure is taking place.

You are suspicious of my disc - do you mean the media ( Memorex DVD+W ) or the disc drive itself. You mentioned previously that the DVD portion of the drive may be on the blink - seems strange in that Ive burned a great many more CDs than DVDs. In fact all said in done Ive probably burned a dozen DVDs in the life of this system. Couldt it be a dirt issue - maybe some dust is in there - Ill try cleaning it. Nevertheless - I too am suspicious of the drive.

Cornerstone

I am suspicious of the disc - the media - more than the drive. Memorex DVDs aren't my media of choice :)

Dust is a possible cause of trouble, and it's easier to disrupt the tiny beam used for DVD than the broader beam used for CDs. You could try blowing it out with canned air, but brute force measures such as lens brushes should be kept for the last gasp situation where the drive has resisted all other efforts to make it work.

Yes!

In MyDVD clear the checkmark by Burn to disc and put one by Save disc image file.

Make a note where it is going to make that ISO file!!!

After it completes, close MyDVD, then in the Home app, Data/Copy tab, choose Burn Disc Image (under the Create section).

post-39730-1262093847.jpg

Try it on your DVD RW media first.

Breaking it into 2 steps like this increases the chance of success as well as helping to isolate where the actual failure is taking place.

Sorry for the slow response - not a lot of time over the Holidays!. Ive been able to successfully create " burn " the file to the hard drive and now have a saved ISO. I will attempt step 2 this evening and let you know the result. Thank you for your patience.

Cornerstone

Sorry for the slow response - not a lot of time over the Holidays!. Ive been able to successfully create " burn " the file to the hard drive and now have a saved ISO. I will attempt step 2 this evening and let you know the result. Thank you for your patience.

Cornerstone

No problem – the Holidays are a busy time for all of us!

Got my fingers crossed, man that makes it hard to type :lol:

You do understand the whole Cart -- Horse concept right???

Generally the cheapest burner I can find! I go down to MicroCenter in Philly and fight my way to one of the cardboard cartons they have sitting on the floor :o

My first CD Burner was a 2X for $550 in '97… Don't want to do that again! :angry:

If I had your email address I could send you a screen shot of the error I received while burning the ISO image to the Memorex DVDRW disc. This is the short version of the error - it occurred at approximately 50% complete:

"There was a problem writing to the disc. You can try clicking the retry button......................."

"Sense: 02 ASC: 04 ASCQ: 08 ( Command 00 ) "

Then following below that line are about 8 lines or so of various Px files and related version numbers.

What I dont get is that this system burns CDs just fine. In fact previous to using creator 2010 I was using the VHS2DVD program and created numerous DVDs from VHS with no issues on this same system !

HHHHHHHMMMMMMMMMMMM

Any and all help is appreciated

How big is the ISO file, Cornerstone? Just to be sure the software isn't trying to write an 8.5GB ISO to a 4.7GB disc.

That Atapi error "Sense: 02 ASC: 04 ASCQ: 08" comes back as "Logical unit not ready, long write in progress", but the table doesn't explain that any further except to tell you to check:

-you're not running background programs such as Anti-Virus etc

-your ASPI layer configuration [if your machine uses ASPI]

-the disc, swapping brand or type if necessary

-if everything else is checked and okay, your drive might be faulty.

It's quite possible the DVD part of your drive is dying - the CD burning module is separate, and can be still running fine while the DVD part is sickening - however I'd try a disc brand other than Memorex before I turned my gaze on the drive.

How big is the ISO file, Cornerstone? Just to be sure the software isn't trying to write an 8.5GB ISO to a 4.7GB disc.

That Atapi error "Sense: 02 ASC: 04 ASCQ: 08" comes back as "Logical unit not ready, long write in progress", but the table doesn't explain that any further except to tell you to check:

-you're not running background programs such as Anti-Virus etc

-your ASPI layer configuration [if your machine uses ASPI]

-the disc, swapping brand or type if necessary

-if everything else is checked and okay, your drive might be faulty.

It's quite possible the DVD part of your drive is dying - the CD burning module is separate, and can be still running fine while the DVD part is sickening - however I'd try a disc brand other than Memorex before I turned my gaze on the drive.

I am running McAfee Internet Security in the background as i always have since the computer is connected to the net. Which gets me thinking - I bet most all of you folks are running systems not connected to the net ? yes/no??

I am really thinking its time to upgrade. Anyone care to make a recommendations. I will probably purchase another Dell but this time I will probably get a really high end video card ( recommendations ??? ) and a really large ( terabyte ??/ ) hard drive. DVD burner recommendations are appreciated as well.

Oh-to answer you question on size - the ISO file size is 4.1 GIG

Cornerstone LLC

Thanks for the reply. That excludes the DL idea. I'm still suspicious of your disc, though.

I have an old DLink router with a built-in firewall, but I always disconnect and disable the AV when I'm installing anything as touchy as Roxio software.

I live down in the South Pacific at the end of a very long canoe ride, so I'm afraid I can't help with good recommendations for hardware you can get in the USA. :)

Archived