unretrievable file

Gjeitnes

Before a necessary change of HD, I used the Roxio Easy CD&DVD Creator 6 programme to create a backup of the "My Documents" folder, using the Creator Classic. When retrieving the folders and files onto the new HD, using Roxio Retrieve, all went well except one single file. Unfortunately, this was an important file, containing lots of passwords and technical specifications for routers and the like. Because of the sensitive info it contained, the file was password-protected. Of the 5 CD's produced, I can see that the file ("Viktigdata.doc") is burned to Disk 1, together with the other files in the actual folder ("Tele, data"), seemingly as normal, with a 36kB volume. When trying to retrieve or copy the file, I get an error message "Error opening file (---)\viktigdata.doc".

From the Roxio listing of folders/files, I notice that there seems to be another file, supposedly created by Roxio, with the name "~$ktigdata.doc" burnt to the last disk (disk 5)with 1kB volume. Opening that one, it seems to contain info on file owner etc, and some characters (clubs, spades etc)which I suspect may be the password to the file on disk 1.

Is there any way of retrieving my precious file with all the vital information I need so badly?? I do know I should have made a safe, second backup on a Memory Stick or made at least a printout, but that is to late to greave about now. So, if you can help me, I will be very, very thankful.

Greetings

Aasmund Gjeitnes

Not much hope… :( Not that you have had a need to haunt these forums be we have been telling folks since the Data Russian Roulette was introduced in V6 it is risky!

You are not the first to be lulled into losing files… Oh Memory Sticks etc. are not permanent either! They lose charge and hence data over time.

..., I get an error message "Error opening file (---)\viktigdata.doc".

From the Roxio listing of folders/files, I notice that there seems to be another file, supposedly created by Roxio, with the name "~$ktigdata.doc" burnt to the last disk (disk 5)with 1kB volume. ...

Greetings

Aasmund Gjeitnes

To add to Jim's comments: the file "~$..." is a file created by Microsoft Word when you are opening a document.

So here is what had happened: When you were writing your files to CD you had your important file open in Microsoft Word. Doing so means that that file is blocked and cannot be opened (and copied) by other applications! During the Copy, though, you should have seen an error message or warning saying "cannot open / copy file "vitkig...". Consequently, the file was not (correctly) copied to CD.

Hope this helps.

Many thanks to both of you for valueable comments! Funny, though - I could swear that the file in question was closed at the time I burnt the copies, as I was very careful to have an absolute minimum of programme and disc activity. And there was no warning message. The reason behind the hasty copying of My Documents was actually that the present HD had over some time showed definite signs of breaking down. The errors occurred mainly in connection with the OP and the network connections, but perhaps it also could affected some user files? But then it's really ill fate that the one and only invalid file on retrieval, among hundreds of unimportant ones, was my most precious and important! And the reason could not be that it was password protected, some others were protected too, and they were retrieved without any problems.

So far, the 'open file' explanation seems to be the plausible cause, had it not been for my vivid memory of it being definitely closed --.

Whatever the reason, the thing that annoys me is that, according to the file listing both in Roxio Retrieve, in Microsoft Explorer and in DOS, the file seemingly has been recorded correctly and with a plausible volume. In many cases, I have experienced that problems with extracting or displaying a hidden file stems from control procedures and system protective restrictions embedded in the OS or the application program, and not in concrete technical errors at the file source. I should wish there were any software tools available for such events. I would guess that companies engaged in helping customers (and police) in retrieving data from erased discs and the like would have a number of such tools, but I haven't as yet come across any such tools available for common users. Have any of you?

Aasmund Gjeitnes

Many thanks to both of you for valueable comments! ...

I would guess that companies engaged in helping customers (and police) in retrieving data from erased discs and the like would have a number of such tools, but I haven't as yet come across any such tools available for common users. Have any of you?

Aasmund Gjeitnes

It may often turn out that, even though you ended an application, that very program may be still seen in the Task list; i.e., the Process did not really come to end. You also mentioned the file was encrypted (through Word Protect Document?), then there can be the case the content had not been correctly stored on disk at that time.

There are tools available to more thoroughly scan media to restore files even with parity errors and the like. I suggest just to Google around. I found for instance this one; but there are many more! :)

Archived