Hangs when I try to trim a video

BeardFL

Question

New laptop running Windows Vista Home Premium. 4G RAM, 500G disk.

New store-copy of Roxio Creator 2010 - installed and updated to the latest Service Pack.

Open the video window and import a video from a DVD.

Click on "Trim" and I get a rotating circle - forever. Have to kill Roxio and start again.

The intent is to grab a video from DVD, edit out a piece and use it in a building production.

Help?

13 answers to this question

New laptop running Windows Vista Home Premium. 4G RAM, 500G disk.

New store-copy of Roxio Creator 2010 - installed and updated to the latest Service Pack.

Open the video window and import a video from a DVD.

Click on "Trim" and I get a rotating circle - forever. Have to kill Roxio and start again.

The intent is to grab a video from DVD, edit out a piece and use it in a building production.

Help?

Not clear on what you are exactly doing :blink:

Copy the Video_TS folder from the DVD to your hard drive. Launch Videowave, and using "Add" add a vob file from the folder

Of course if that is a commercial DVD it will never work :unsure:

How long in time is the video you are working on?

How long do you wait before kill the window when you get the "not responding"? I do get that sometimes especially if there are other apps running. It usually comes back and I can continue.

I just wanted to add that my system does the same thing. I'm using a brand new Dell Desktop with 4 GB of RAM and well over the requirements for this software. I've been using this software for a couple months now. In the beginning, I had very little problems. Now.... it hangs up during Video Copy and Convert, also during VideoWave, and about every other time I try to trim a video. I've done the software repair more than once and just recently I downloaded the 2010 fix or whatever it's called. I'm running out of options.

Not clear on what you are exactly doing :blink:

Copy the Video_TS folder from the DVD to your hard drive. Launch Videowave, and using "Add" add a vob file from the folder

Of course if that is a commercial DVD it will never work :unsure:

Thanks for the reply. The DVD is was created by a University. I'm in the video, so I should have rights to use clips, but I honestly don't know if they copy-protected it as if it were a full commercial DVD. Could be since this is a University that teaches how to make movies. So if it is officially copy-protected, is there any way around it? I'm just trying to pull out 3-second clips of my acting jobs - to splice together in a sequence to make a Demo Reel, so all I need to be able to do is read in a 15-minute video, cut out the 3 seconds I want, then sequence it with other 3-second clips and output the whole thing. Thanks.

Thanks for the reply. The DVD is was created by a University. I'm in the video, so I should have rights to use clips, but I honestly don't know if they copy-protected it as if it were a full commercial DVD. Could be since this is a University that teaches how to make movies. So if it is officially copy-protected, is there any way around it? I'm just trying to pull out 3-second clips of my acting jobs - to splice together in a sequence to make a Demo Reel, so all I need to be able to do is read in a 15-minute video, cut out the 3 seconds I want, then sequence it with other 3-second clips and output the whole thing. Thanks.

If the DVD is copy-protected then there is no way that Roxio will touch it since that is illegal and we are not allowed to even discuss the subject. :rolleyes:

Just because you are in the video, I don't think gives you any special rights :blink: Why not try and find out if the DVD is copy-protected?

If the DVD is copy-protected then there is no way that Roxio will touch it since that is illegal and we are not allowed to even discuss the subject. :rolleyes:

Just because you are in the video, I don't think gives you any special rights :blink: Why not try and find out if the DVD is copy-protected?

Thanks for the advice. How do I find out if it's copy protected? I *did* successfully make a copy of the whole DVD - using Roxio - so it *should* be OK.... right? (Just did a "COPY DVD" and it worked and the resulting DVD does play on my DVD player). It reads the disk, and I can "Add Photo/Video" and get it to read in the 15-minute video. But then when I click on the little scissors icon to "Trim" it - it goes off to a rotating circle (waiting) and never returns. I can do that either from the DVD - or I can copy the "VIDEO_TS" file to my hard drive, open that file, select the VOB I want - and get the same result. It just locks up and never comes back. Does that sound like copy-protection issue - or something else?

Thanks again.

Thanks for the advice. How do I find out if it's copy protected? I *did* successfully make a copy of the whole DVD - using Roxio - so it *should* be OK.... right? (Just did a "COPY DVD" and it worked and the resulting DVD does play on my DVD player). It reads the disk, and I can "Add Photo/Video" and get it to read in the 15-minute video. But then when I click on the little scissors icon to "Trim" it - it goes off to a rotating circle (waiting) and never returns. I can do that either from the DVD - or I can copy the "VIDEO_TS" file to my hard drive, open that file, select the VOB I want - and get the same result. It just locks up and never comes back. Does that sound like copy-protection issue - or something else?

Thanks again.

There is no copy protection because Roxio would not allow you to make a copy.

Could you explain step-by-step what you are doing?

There is no copy protection because Roxio would not allow you to make a copy.

Could you explain step-by-step what you are doing?

Start Roxio Creator 2010.

Insert DVD

Click on "Edit Video-Advanced" (which opens Videowave in a new window).

I have a window saying "Welcome to Videowave" so I

Click on "Create a New production" with "Normal 4:3" format.

Click "OK".

Get the Production window.

Click on "Add Photo/Video" (upper left - one of the few things which isn't greyed out).

Select the DVD drive

Select the "Video_TS" folder in the DVD drive

Select the "Video_TS" VOB file inside that folder

Click "Open"

Get the new window: "Import Movies from VOB"

There's only one movie listed and it's already checked, so just hit "OK".

The movie shows up in the "Preview" block and the "Production Block" and I can play the movie successfully.

Now I want to just trim down the part(s) I want, so I click on the red "scissors" icon in the upper left of the "Preview" screen

(when I "hover" over it, it says "Trim")

and then I get the "Windows Vista" rotating circle. It never comes back. It never responds.

Start Roxio Creator 2010.

Insert DVD

Click on "Edit Video-Advanced" (which opens Videowave in a new window).

I have a window saying "Welcome to Videowave" so I

Click on "Create a New production" with "Normal 4:3" format.

Click "OK".

Get the Production window.

Click on "Add Photo/Video" (upper left - one of the few things which isn't greyed out).

Select the DVD drive

Select the "Video_TS" folder in the DVD drive

Select the "Video_TS" VOB file inside that folder

Click "Open"

Get the new window: "Import Movies from VOB"

There's only one movie listed and it's already checked, so just hit "OK".

The movie shows up in the "Preview" block and the "Production Block" and I can play the movie successfully.

Now I want to just trim down the part(s) I want, so I click on the red "scissors" icon in the upper left of the "Preview" screen

(when I "hover" over it, it says "Trim")

and then I get the "Windows Vista" rotating circle. It never comes back. It never responds.

You are doing everything correct. After clicking the trim icon, the Trimmer Window should open.

Have you some other video clip you can use for a test?

Another way to trim off from the beginning and end of a clip is to use the Split function.

In the Timeline mode, click on the video track to select it and then move the blue cursor where you want to trim. Now click the Split icon and you should have 2 clips showing. Select the the clip on the left and then hit delete. The same way you can trim from the end of the video.

You are doing everything correct. After clicking the trim icon, the Trimmer Window should open.

Have you some other video clip you can use for a test?

Another way to trim off from the beginning and end of a clip is to use the Split function.

In the Timeline mode, click on the video track to select it and then move the blue cursor where you want to trim. Now click the Split icon and you should have 2 clips showing. Select the the clip on the left and then hit delete. The same way you can trim from the end of the video.

Just an update. I just keep trying and every so often, it does work now, but it still regularly just stops responding. I then "X" the VideoWave window, Windows tells me that "VideoWave 12 has stopped responding", I kill the window and start again. I'm managing to get some editing done, but usually only one step at a time before it stops responding again. Very frustrating. I wonder if 4G of RAM is enough - on a Vista system?

Yes, it is more than enough.

In Video Wave, go to the top menu and select tools, options and put a dot near software (if it isn't already there). Try again. Make sure that you have nothing else running like anti-malware and anti-virus.

Just an update. I just keep trying and every so often, it does work now, but it still regularly just stops responding. I then "X" the VideoWave window, Windows tells me that "VideoWave 12 has stopped responding", I kill the window and start again. I'm managing to get some editing done, but usually only one step at a time before it stops responding again. Very frustrating. I wonder if 4G of RAM is enough - on a Vista system?

How long in time is the video you are working on?

How long do you wait before kill the window when you get the "not responding"? I do get that sometimes especially if there are other apps running. It usually comes back and I can continue.

I just wanted to add that my system does the same thing. I'm using a brand new Dell Desktop with 4 GB of RAM and well over the requirements for this software. I've been using this software for a couple months now. In the beginning, I had very little problems. Now.... it hangs up during Video Copy and Convert, also during VideoWave, and about every other time I try to trim a video. I've done the software repair more than once and just recently I downloaded the 2010 fix or whatever it's called. I'm running out of options.

Hi, Folx,

Sorry for the delay. It is wonderful that you're all being SO helpful. I started to make progress and decided to finish my project before reporting back - hence the delay until I was done. The good news is that I got the software to work and I finished my 2-minute video. Ultimately, I grabbed pieces of 11 different videos and cut about 30 clips together, added special effects and text, and output, then uploaded to YouTube - very successfully.

So. What was the cause of the original problem? The bad news is that I still don't totally know. I suspect that it is a memory-management problem between VideoWave and Windows Vista. I got into trouble when I was trying to "Trim" a 15-minute video - directly from DVD. When I worked with shorter movies (3-5 minutes), it worked fine. I learned to do an operation, then SAVE in case it hung up. To answer the questions, when I said "it locked up when I tried to trim 15-minute movies" - I mean I walked away for 4 hours - and when I came back, it was still locked" - so it wasn't just that I didn't wait long enough. Anyway, I found a way around the "long movie edit": I could "Add" the movie - then immediately *Export* it (Output) to an MPEG-2 file, then close VideoWave, re-open, and edit that *file* - and it worked fine. I don't know if it was the change of format from "DVD" to "MPEG-2" - or whether the problem was getting it *off* the DVD and onto the hard drive, but I *did* also try just flat copying the "VOB" file to my disk - and that didn't help at all - so the format/output had *something* to do with it.

Other suggestions: Since VideoWave was taking so long, I tended to have Facebook running on another window (to amuse myself while I waited). Perhaps it won't be a surprise to be told that Facebook can take a *surprising* amount of processor power *and* virtual memory - particularly if you're running "Farmville" or "Mafia Wars" or "Bejeweled Blitz". My point is that VideoWave seemed to run a lot better if I didn't have Facebook open anywhere - even in a minimized window. I also suspect that Windows' "garbage collection" from some Facebook apps - may be so poor that you shouldn't even try a difficult VideoWave if you have run Facebook *and closed it*: you may need to *reboot* between running FB apps - and running VideoWave.

So. Bottom line: I am *VERY* pleased with the capabilities and results from Videowave - and I barely scratched the surface of capabilities - for this project. Particularly for the price - VideoWave is *wonderful*. If you're having trouble with "lock-ups" - then try outputting your input file to a different format and starting again - and/or be very careful of whatever *else* you are running - or even have run - and exited - on the same computer.

Comments are welcome. Thanks SO much for all of your conscientious help.

Yes, it is more than enough.

In Video Wave, go to the top menu and select tools, options and put a dot near software (if it isn't already there). Try again. Make sure that you have nothing else running like anti-malware and anti-virus.

Thanks SO much for your specific, reasonable suggestions.

I *did* switch to software rendering rather than hardware - and I've left it there. I don't think it actually made a difference, but it didn't seem to slow anything down, either, so no reason not to leave it that way.

And I tried turning my "Avast" off - and on - and off again - and it didn't seem to have any effect on the lock-up. Again, quite reasonable thing to try, but it didn't seem to help, so, of course, I turned my "Avast" back on for the rest of the project and finished successfully *with* anti-everything fully on.

Hi, Folx,

Sorry for the delay. It is wonderful that you're all being SO helpful. I started to make progress and decided to finish my project before reporting back - hence the delay until I was done. The good news is that I got the software to work and I finished my 2-minute video. Ultimately, I grabbed pieces of 11 different videos and cut about 30 clips together, added special effects and text, and output, then uploaded to YouTube - very successfully.

So. What was the cause of the original problem? The bad news is that I still don't totally know. I suspect that it is a memory-management problem between VideoWave and Windows Vista. I got into trouble when I was trying to "Trim" a 15-minute video - directly from DVD. When I worked with shorter movies (3-5 minutes), it worked fine. I learned to do an operation, then SAVE in case it hung up. To answer the questions, when I said "it locked up when I tried to trim 15-minute movies" - I mean I walked away for 4 hours - and when I came back, it was still locked" - so it wasn't just that I didn't wait long enough. Anyway, I found a way around the "long movie edit": I could "Add" the movie - then immediately *Export* it (Output) to an MPEG-2 file, then close VideoWave, re-open, and edit that *file* - and it worked fine. I don't know if it was the change of format from "DVD" to "MPEG-2" - or whether the problem was getting it *off* the DVD and onto the hard drive, but I *did* also try just flat copying the "VOB" file to my disk - and that didn't help at all - so the format/output had *something* to do with it.

Other suggestions: Since VideoWave was taking so long, I tended to have Facebook running on another window (to amuse myself while I waited). Perhaps it won't be a surprise to be told that Facebook can take a *surprising* amount of processor power *and* virtual memory - particularly if you're running "Farmville" or "Mafia Wars" or "Bejeweled Blitz". My point is that VideoWave seemed to run a lot better if I didn't have Facebook open anywhere - even in a minimized window. I also suspect that Windows' "garbage collection" from some Facebook apps - may be so poor that you shouldn't even try a difficult VideoWave if you have run Facebook *and closed it*: you may need to *reboot* between running FB apps - and running VideoWave.

So. Bottom line: I am *VERY* pleased with the capabilities and results from Videowave - and I barely scratched the surface of capabilities - for this project. Particularly for the price - VideoWave is *wonderful*. If you're having trouble with "lock-ups" - then try outputting your input file to a different format and starting again - and/or be very careful of whatever *else* you are running - or even have run - and exited - on the same computer.

Comments are welcome. Thanks SO much for all of your conscientious help.

Thanks SO much for your specific, reasonable suggestions.

I *did* switch to software rendering rather than hardware - and I've left it there. I don't think it actually made a difference, but it didn't seem to slow anything down, either, so no reason not to leave it that way.

And I tried turning my "Avast" off - and on - and off again - and it didn't seem to have any effect on the lock-up. Again, quite reasonable thing to try, but it didn't seem to help, so, of course, I turned my "Avast" back on for the rest of the project and finished successfully *with* anti-everything fully on.

Copying the Video_TS folder from a DVD I find is the most reliable way to get video into Videowave. The problem with working directly from a DVD is you always have to have the DVD in the drive even if you were to make only small change in your project. Also the format on a DVD is the same as the mpeg2 format you supposedly converted to from the vob file. Just changing the vob extension (after copying to your hard drive) to mpg would propably have done the same thing.

While doing any video work, most recommend to shut down running apps and not do any internet operations.

Archived