Not possible to burn file size just over 700Mb on a CD

koentin

Question

5 answers to this question

Why not burn to a DVD (RW and reuse for other videos?) In fact you could have several DivX files on a DVD

I agree.

Where I live, blank CDs are almost the same price as DVDs so I put 6 AVI movies on a DVD and play that on my DivX DVD player. Less cost, less storage space.

For what purpuse is burning the avi file on CD? If the intention is simply to watch the clip on computer, you can convert the file first to WMV format (Window Media Player), assuming you have Win XP/Vista, and burn that file instead to CD.

I simply want to copy the movie to the CD and watch it as it is on my DivX DVD player and 42" LCD TV. Don't want to convert and waste any time for unnecessary operations.

A lot depends on HOW you are doing it. Consider the following

Overburning (sometimes called oversizing) is the ability to write beyond the manufacturer’s declared capacity on a CD-R or CD-RW disc. This is accomplished by using the disc’s Lead-Out Area (reserved to indicate to a reading device that the end of the data has been reached) to store the additional user information. Although some recorders and premastering software packages have the ability to overburn a disc the practice is not permitted by Orange Book standards. Overburning might affect product warranties and result in lost data so it is not recommended.

Also regarding disc capacity, 7.1 MB is a strange amount. The size available actually depends on the mode, for instance

audio CD : 783,216,000

CD mode 1: 681,984,000

CD Mode 2: 777,888,000

http://www.osta.org/technology/cdqa7.htm

I simply want to copy the movie to the CD and watch it as it is on my DivX DVD player and 42" LCD TV. Don't want to convert and waste any time for unnecessary operations.

Why not burn to a DVD (RW and reuse for other videos?) In fact you could have several DivX files on a DVD

Archived