Copy .Sd2f disc image to CDR

arln2k

Question

I am ripping audio files from scratched CDs (with Max, in this case) in an attempt to back up and archive as accurately as possible.

I rip the files and then drag them into Toast with the Audio tab selected. I set all the pauses to zero except the first track (which is 2 seconds) and "Save As Disc Image".

I wanted to check to see if the result was identical to the disc I ripped so I experimented (using a pristine disc, so scratches wouldn't affect results) by mounting the .Sd2f file and then using Toast "Compare" to compare that mounted disc image to the original CD. The two were identical.

The problem is when I try to burn a physical copy from the .Sd2f disc image. No matter if I burn the disc in the Audio tab or the Copy tab (where I select Image File as the source) the resulting CD-R fails to be identical to the mounted disc image used as a source (when tested with Compare).

What is happening here?

3 answers to this question

Thanks for the reply.

My SuperDrive is a Matshita DVD-RAM UJ-8755, which I installed as an aftermarket upgrade to my iMac G5 and it is set to DAO.

Compare did work to check a mounted disc image against the original commercial CD, but I guess what you are saying that something is introduced in the process of burning to CD-R that would alter the contents in some way.

My main concern is that the audio files on the CD-R will be retained at the same uncompressed quality as the original CD. Identical copies, of course, would be great.

I guess burning a copy of the disc image I created in Toast is the closest I'm going to get if I want it on physical media. Any other suggestions are welcome.

There is nothing Toast is doing to the audio files themselves. It is just copying bits and doing it in the audio CD format. You should be getting an identical copy to the source.

Audio CDs are such a different format that I'm not certain that Compare works the same as it does with other formats. The only thing that can change is if the disc is being burned Track at Once (TAO) instead of Disc at Once (DAO). This is an option in the recorder settings window. You want DAO. There are some older optical drives that don't burn DAO, however. If you are on an older Mac and using its built-in drive then that could be the issue.

Audio CDs are such a different format that I'm not certain that Compare works the same as it does with other formats. The only thing that can change is if the disc is being burned Track at Once (TAO) instead of Disc at Once (DAO). This is an option in the recorder settings window. You want DAO. There are some older optical drives that don't burn DAO, however. If you are on an older Mac and using its built-in drive then that could be the issue.

Thanks for the reply.

My SuperDrive is a Matshita DVD-RAM UJ-8755, which I installed as an aftermarket upgrade to my iMac G5 and it is set to DAO.

Compare did work to check a mounted disc image against the original commercial CD, but I guess what you are saying that something is introduced in the process of burning to CD-R that would alter the contents in some way.

My main concern is that the audio files on the CD-R will be retained at the same uncompressed quality as the original CD. Identical copies, of course, would be great.

I guess burning a copy of the disc image I created in Toast is the closest I'm going to get if I want it on physical media. Any other suggestions are welcome.

Archived