• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 9 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Making Coasters...

SparkChaser

Question

After reading several other posts on this site, it would seem that the prevailing wisdom is that P&B should NOT be counted on to do a direct VHS to DVD copy. I have been having the same unrecoverable errors reported by others when the disk in in the "finalizing" stage.

This function is what attracted me to the hardware/software combo that was purchased for me for Christmas. Am I correct in interpreting the other posts that this is NOT a viable EASY way to convert old VHS tapes to DVD?

When I capture directly to my hard drive, I experienced playback audio distortion during a particularly important part of the video made of my wedding. This distortion was also present in the only DVD that I have successfully burned using the captured video and then transferring it to DVD... So far I am not happy and any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

SparkChaser

3 answers to this question

Wow!!!!...

I can tell right now that I have no idea what I am doing at this point. I am tech savy (have worked in electrical controls, PLC's, telemetry, fiber optics, etc.) but I am not finding the audio signal level graphs and other information alluded to in your post. I have used the getting started guide that came with the hardware, I have it connected in a manner that I believe to be correct (component video and audio from VCR and color for color on the USB adaptor plugs with no S-video connection (vcr doesn't support it)). I have read the online help for the software for all topics that seem to relate (as far as I can see).

I think it best at this point to say I am not experienced with any type of video or audio signal processing. With that in mind, please forgive my naiveté. I will happily provide whatever info is needed to assist me but I see that I may need some serious hand holding. Normally I am good at the RTFM step of learning to operate a piece of hardware or software but I have not found a full manual to read... If there is one, a link would be appreciated.

Now with all of that preamble I will attempt to answer the basics of what I believe has been asked of me by REDWAGON and Jim_Hardin: I'll start with a description of what I have done and follow it with specifics about my computer.

---My only successful DVD conversion of a wedding video was done using the create DVD link on the VHS2DVD home tab (at least it sounded and played like the preview in my PC while the data was being digitized). I selected DVD no menus as the project type and used the file menu to select import. This opened Roxio Media Import and I allowed the default settings for the video quality (DV--720x480, AVI) to govern the capture. At this point, I don't remember how I got the avi file converted to whatever ended up on the DVD, but I believe I used the "Create DVD" link on the home tab again, imported the video from the avi file and told the software to burn the DVD which it did without error (unlike my two previous attempts to duplicate the VHS tape using P&B). The only complaint I had with the video thus created was that there is about a 30 second section of audio that sounds like an old record playing too slow about 14 minutes into a 23 minute video. What is interesting is that this doesn't seem to be a problem with the video tape. I determined this by attempting to convert the tape again today and I had the same glitch in almost the same place so I stopped capturing at that point which generated an avi file for the video up to this point, I then rewound the tape to a short time prior to the "glitch" and started capturing again with no apparent audio issues for the remainder of the video tape. At this point, I have two avi files that I imported into a new project and the second one sounds okay in the area where the first one has the issue mentioned above... I assume there is a way to edit these two pieces together if I am unable to eventually get this thing to run for more that 15 minutes without an audio issue. I haven't tried any other videos because I didn't want to attack any that are longer than this short one.

---Computer Info: OS--Vista Home Premium SP2--32bit, Hdwr--HP Pavillion a1640n (Intel Core 2 CPU 6300, at 1.86 GHz, 2GB RAM, 126GB free space on 220GB Hard Drive). All existing hardware original, OS is MS Boxed version instead of original OEM upgraded XP version. Clean install was done in August from a freshly formatted HD.

I hope this information is helpful. If more info is needed please let me know...

Thanks much,

SparkChaser

After reading several other posts on this site, it would seem that the prevailing wisdom is that P&B should NOT be counted on to do a direct VHS to DVD copy. I have been having the same unrecoverable errors reported by others when the disk in in the "finalizing" stage.

This function is what attracted me to the hardware/software combo that was purchased for me for Christmas. Am I correct in interpreting the other posts that this is NOT a viable EASY way to convert old VHS tapes to DVD?

When I capture directly to my hard drive, I experienced playback audio distortion during a particularly important part of the video made of my wedding. This distortion was also present in the only DVD that I have successfully burned using the captured video and then transferring it to DVD... So far I am not happy and any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

SparkChaser

If the original tapes play O.K. and sound is O.K. then if you are capturing then using the VHS2DVD program and the USB Capture Device all cabled up properly from the out ports on your VHS player and then to a good USB 2.0 in port on your computer, then what you capture should sound just as good.

Make sure that the volume adjustment when you start your capture is et so that both blue horizontal audio signals are set right near the top of the graph but not so that eiother turns red. Also chek the volume control on your VHS player so it is adjusted correctly. But to answer your one quote that the program is "NOT a viable EASY way to convert old VHS tapes to DVD", I totally disagree. I have captured probably a dozen or more of my old VHS tapes using the program and it works great !!!

What mode are you using to capture the videoa ?? and once one is captured, what are the next steps you take to make you DVD ?? What's your computers specs (OS, video card or chip, etc.) ??

Frank...

I would assume that if you are getting some audio distortion, it is most likely because your audio volumes are not set right.

Archived