• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 13 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Upgrade from EMC 8 to 10?

Jim@marizon

Question

Hello, everyone.

I've had EMC 8 for several years. A few times, the copy CD function has ceased working, or performed intermittently. On those occasions, I did a complete uninstall (directory included), then reinstalled and all was well. This time, it hasn't worked. Although I used the same procedure, EMC won't copy at all. The error message is usually that the target CD might be defective or dirty (they aren't). I've uninstalled and reinstalled again a few times, trying to find something I've missed, but no luck.

Could it be that my PC (a Dell) is now just a bit blocked up with bits of software that aren't comatible? (I've removed Windows Media Player, by the way; and defragmented the machine.) If that's likely, is there a diagnostic way forward? Or might upgrading to Roxio 10 do the trick?

Any experiences/suggestions welcome.

Happy new year, everyone - all year.

Best,

Jim

7 answers to this question

Thank you all for your replies; and I apologize for my delayed acknowledgement. Windows Media Player doesn't seem to be the problem (I had only removed on the possibility of any incompatibilities; reinstalling it hasn't made any difference.)

I did use the Clean Install instructions. Indeed, I have tried this three times now.

The possibility of a faulty drive is interesting, but could that be the case even though I can install EMC8 with it, and upload audion CDs to itunes with it? In other words, could it function for the purposes of play/file moving, but not for burning? If so, then replacing it seems the obvious route to take. I'd appreciate your judgement on this.

Many thanks,

Jim

I want to see if the drive or CD might be the problem???

There is a Clean Install for EMC 8 (Here)but try the manual copy first.

Yes, it is possible that the burner can read but not write. Here is a reasonable article. Two different lasers:

"While the reading laser is usually not stronger than 5 mW, the writing laser is considerably more powerful. The higher writing speed, the less time a laser has to heat a point on the media, thus its power has to increase proportionally. DVD burner's laser often peaks at about 100 mW in continuous wave, and 225 mW pulsed."

Do you know anyone with a USB external burner? You could borrow one and try.

Thanks, everyone. The problem was the DVD drive, not the software. I hadn't initially thought to check to see whether I could burn discs via itunes - an obvious way of checking - and it wasn't working either. The new DVD drive works fine. For the record, the inclusion/exclusion of Windows media Player on my system doesn't appear to make a difference one way of the other.

Thank you for generously responding to my query. I'm sorry to have troubled you over what turned out to be a pretty simple matter to diagnose.

Best wishes,

Jim

(I've removed Windows Media Player, by the way; and defragmented the machine.) If that's likely, is there a diagnostic way forward? Or might upgrading to Roxio 10 do the trick?

Any experiences/suggestions welcome.

Happy new year, everyone - all year.

Best,

Jim

I believe that you do need a version of WMP on your computer. From system requirements:

Software:

Microsoft® Windows XP Home/Pro/MCE (Service Pack 2), Windows XP Pro x64 Edition*, or Windows 2000 (Service Pack 4 or later) NOTE: Windows Vista is not supported.

QuickTime 6.4 or greater for playback or burning of M4A files

Windows Media Player 9 or higher

Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 or higher

* Backup MyPC and DVDInfo Pro do not run on x64 systems

Never throw money for software if the current product has the problems that you have.

I believe that you do need a version of WMP on your computer. From system requirements:

Software:

Microsoft® Windows XP Home/Pro/MCE (Service Pack 2), Windows XP Pro x64 Edition*, or Windows 2000 (Service Pack 4 or later) NOTE: Windows Vista is not supported.

QuickTime 6.4 or greater for playback or burning of M4A files

Windows Media Player 9 or higher

Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 or higher

* Backup MyPC and DVDInfo Pro do not run on x64 systems

Never throw money for software if the current product has the problems that you have.

Windows media player (updated version) would be a requirement for playing Windows Media Video and Windows Media Audio created by the Roxio software...

For the use of Disc Copier, I doubt WMP would be a requirement..

Every version of XP I've seen has hidden versions of WMP, click Start, Run, type in mplay32, or mplayer2, click OK...

post-97-1262534388.jpg

post-97-1262534394.jpg

cd

Archived