• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 14 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

easy LP to MP3

Chris Meyer

My wife gave me Roxio easy LP to MP3 for Christmas. I was quite excite about it since I have quite a few albums that aren't available on CD. Unfortunately, every track I've captured has an annoying and steady high-frequency noise added to it -- I'm assuming by the little analog-to-USB converter box. I tried capturing directly from the stereo's line out to my laptop's microphone it and the noise was not there (although the overall sound quality was nothing close to what the converter box generates (aside from the noise, that is).

I'm looking for help on this, but I don't see any forum categories for this product. Can someone point me to the right place to ask my questions?

Note that I did see one post under the "Toast" category that discussed a known problem where unwanted noise was added when reording CDs using a sampling rate of 48K, but I'm using 44.1. Here's the link to that post, although it doesn't seem to want to work any more: kb.roxio.com/content/kb/Toast/000066T?set-locale=en

I also have to say that thus far, my experience using this web site absolutely stinks. Creating a login to just to create this post was a rocky ride because the registration pages were acting flaky, I can hardly find any mention of the easy LP to MP3 product on the site (aside from the general description and "buy" page), and every search I do against the forums (for example, "easy LP") gives me this lovely set of error messages:

"Sorry, an error occurred. If you are unsure on how to use a feature, or don't know why you got this error message, try looking through the help files for more information.

The error returned was:

One or all of your search keywords were below 3 characters or you searched for words which are not allowed, such as 'html', 'img', etc, please go back and increase the length of these search keywords or choose different keywords."

Hardly what I would call a user friendly site or even useful web site. Can someone help change my opinion?

Thanks,

Chris Meyer

My wife gave me Roxio easy LP to MP3 for Christmas. I was quite excite about it since I have quite a few albums that aren't available on CD. Unfortunately, every track I've captured has an annoying and steady high-frequency noise added to it -- I'm assuming by the little analog-to-USB converter box. I tried capturing directly from the stereo's line out to my laptop's microphone it and the noise was not there (although the overall sound quality was nothing close to what the converter box generates (aside from the noise, that is).

I'm looking for help on this, but I don't see any forum categories for this product. Can someone point me to the right place to ask my questions?

Note that I did see one post under the "Toast" category that discussed a known problem where unwanted noise was added when reording CDs using a sampling rate of 48K, but I'm using 44.1. Here's the link to that post, although it doesn't seem to want to work any more: kb.roxio.com/content/kb/Toast/000066T?set-locale=en

I also have to say that thus far, my experience using this web site absolutely stinks. Creating a login to just to create this post was a rocky ride because the registration pages were acting flaky, I can hardly find any mention of the easy LP to MP3 product on the site (aside from the general description and "buy" page), and every search I do against the forums (for example, "easy LP") gives me this lovely set of error messages:

"Sorry, an error occurred. If you are unsure on how to use a feature, or don't know why you got this error message, try looking through the help files for more information.

The error returned was:

One or all of your search keywords were below 3 characters or you searched for words which are not allowed, such as 'html', 'img', etc, please go back and increase the length of these search keywords or choose different keywords."

Hardly what I would call a user friendly site or even useful web site. Can someone help change my opinion?

Thanks,

Chris Meyer

1) Get some RF shielded cables.

2) Make sure everything is grounded. to each other.

Be careful doing a direct capture to your laptop. There is no volume control and you are overdriving the equipment and could damage your card/chip. Capture only one you establish the lowest setting that you can use and then bump it up a bit.

The great search engine will not accept 3 caracters or less. Since you search for LP (2 Chacters) and for img (3 characters) you would get that message. If you put quote marks around HTML it would have give you some results (perhaps too many. I just tried it.

Thanks for the quick reply, Steve. I'll try the RF shielded cables (I already have some), but the noise I'm hearing doesn't sound typical of that type of interference. No harm in trying though. Will let you know how things go.

Thanks also for the tips on capturing to the laptop - I've never done this kind of stuff before, so I appreciate the help.

As for the search engine, I guess I'll just grin & bear it :-)

Chris Meyer

Thanks for the quick reply, Steve. I'll try the RF shielded cables (I already have some), but the noise I'm hearing doesn't sound typical of that type of interference. No harm in trying though. Will let you know how things go.

Thanks also for the tips on capturing to the laptop - I've never done this kind of stuff before, so I appreciate the help.

As for the search engine, I guess I'll just grin & bear it :-)

Chris Meyer

Chris, let me add that I've used a different USB audio capture device, and have also heard a high frequency "whine" in the capture. Fairly low level, so really only noticeable on very soft passages, or between tracks. I haven't tried using the Roxio device for audio only capture. My quick guess is that it is noise from the PC power supply, which is actually showing up on the voltage going to the capture device. As you noted, it's not present when using a line-in input on my sound card, and I would again guess that is because of the voltage filtering and capacitors on the motherboard.

So, unfortunately, those are just guesses. Let us know if you have any success with better shielded cables.

Archived