• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 13 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

AVCHD Video Capture and Output 2009 versus 2010

MCC63

Question

I currently upgraded my computer to the following

CPU: Intel i7 920

Video: HD Radeon 5770

Memory 8GB RAM

Software: Creator 2010 Pro

I upgrared my system to get smoother HD playback and faster editing and encoding. On my old system which was an AMD Athlon Core 2 Duo processor running Windows XP, I captured video from my Canon Vixia HFS100 using Creator 2009 Ultimate. While the captured files played slowly and jittery on Windows Media Player and other players like Roxio Cineplayer, the files did play.

Now on Windows 7, the captured files do not play at all. I get black video with no audio. The same thing happens on Cyberlink. However, the files do play on Roxio Cineplayer (Creator 2010 version) and do play smoothly.

I noticed that the captured files (from my old system on Creator 2009) have a .mpg extension which Windows sees as "movie clip"

Noticing this, I captured a video clip (from the same camcorder as described above) using Creator 2010. This newly captured video clip plays very well on Windows Media Player. The newly captured file has a .MTS extension, which Windows sess as an AVCHD file.

Why are my old captured video clips not playing on Windows Media Player in Windows 7 and why do they have a a different extension than the newly captured video clip from Creator 2010? Are all my old captured files no good (only able to play on Cineplayer)? Is there anyway to fix this?

This is totally frustrating. Thanks in advance for your help.

17 answers to this question

First have you updated your video card drivers to the latest (here).. Make sure that you have the applicable settings for application controlled. They should be.

Open Video Wave and go to the top menu and select tools, options, then put a dot next to software. It should be near hardware when you first open the window. See if you can now open the old mpg file.

You have a top of the line video card and I'm not sure that this program will have no problems with it. Some Nvidoa cards with the latest drivers do have a glitch with this program.

When you captured the old" video, did you capture from the same camera in high definition? Your old system may have tried to convert the video on the fly to mpg2 and may not have been able to handle it.

I see you have a flash memory camcorder. Did you capture or did you copy the files from the camcorder to your computer? What did you use to capture the video before and now?

Download and run gspot on the videos. What does it say about the old mpg2 files?

Why they are not playing in WMP? You will have to ask Microsoft.

I have updated my video card with the latest drivers.

There is no issue watching the the old captured hd files in VideoWave, even though VideoWave at times shuts down for no reason (why is that happening).

The old video files were captured from the same camera in the same way as I captured the new video, using Roxio to capture it. Files were ot copied, they were captured

GSpot shows the following for the old captured video:

Container:

MPEG Elementary Video << { 1 vid }

Sys Bitrate: 24262 kb/s VBR

Codec: H264

pic w x: 1888 x 3840

Is there any reason you know of that these mpg files converted in Creator 2009 will not play on Windows Media Player 12 (I upgraded my system to Windows 7, which comes with WMP 12). They play OK on WMP 11 on another computer on which I am still running Windows XP.

Any response

NTSC HD is still 29.97fps for 1080i and some of the HD camcorders do have extra scan lines. I have seen several (like Sony who never seems to follow 'standards' even the ones they wrote!) with 1088 which really messes with the aspect ratio.

MCC63 - there is a simple explanation. Creator2009 did not support editing AVCHD natively so the files had to be converted to the MPEG 2 format. This would happen automatically during capture. When you added a .mts file to Videowave, it would ask to convert before adding to the timeline.

With Creator 2010, it now can edit AVCHD with no conversion and therefore does not convert during 'capture'.

Thanks for the update Gary!

I have updated my video card with the latest drivers.

There is no issue watching the the old captured hd files in VideoWave, even though VideoWave at times shuts down for no reason (why is that happening).

The old video files were captured from the same camera in the same way as I captured the new video, using Roxio to capture it. Files were ot copied, they were captured

GSpot shows the following for the old captured video:

Container:

MPEG Elementary Video << { 1 vid }

Sys Bitrate: 24262 kb/s VBR

Codec: H264

pic w x: 1888 x 3840

Is there a reason why that Creator 2009 Media Import imports the video file as .mpg, while Creator 2010 Media Import imports the file as .MTS. In both Creator 2009 and 2010, in the Media Import window the files shown on the left pane (the files on the camera) are .MTS files. After import, the right pane is where the difference occurs. Creator 2009 shows .mpg files and Creator 2010 shows .MTS files.

Any reason for this?

NTSC HD is still 29.97fps for 1080i and some of the HD camcorders do have extra scan lines. I have seen several (like Sony who never seems to follow 'standards' even the ones they wrote!) with 1088 which really messes with the aspect ratio.

MCC63 - there is a simple explanation. Creator2009 did not support editing AVCHD natively so the files had to be converted to the MPEG 2 format. This would happen automatically during capture. When you added a .mts file to Videowave, it would ask to convert before adding to the timeline.

With Creator 2010, it now can edit AVCHD with no conversion and therefore does not convert during 'capture'.

Is there any reason you know of that these mpg files converted in Creator 2009 will not play on Windows Media Player 12 (I upgraded my system to Windows 7, which comes with WMP 12). They play OK on WMP 11 on another computer on which I am still running Windows XP.

That makes no sense!

Are you talking about the proxy files that HD files were converted to, to be used only for editing???

If that is the case, run them through Video Copy & Convert or SyncIt or VideoWave and output them as something else.

These are the files that were captured from the camcorder using Roxio Media Import, the files that will be used for editing. The files as they exist on the camcorder are MTS files. After import, they are now mpg files. By converting them to another format, do I lose quality.

Rhetorical question or do it really matter if both work. It is how your old computer was able to capture the videos vs the new ones and possibly what your setting were.

This is file type in for Creator 2009:

Video: AVI, DV, HDV, DV-AVI, MPEG-1/2/4, MPEG2-HD, DVD-Video**, IFO/VOB, DivX, DivX HD, XviD, DVR-MS, TiVo, ASF, MOV, WMV, QuickTime, 3GP, MPEG2 Transport Stream, AVC (H.264), AVCHD, .MOD (JVC Everio cameras)

For 2010:

Video: AVI, DV, HDV, DV-AVI, MPEG-1/2/4, MPEG2-HD, DVD-Video, IFO/VOB, XviD, DVR-MS, TiVo, ASF, MOV, WMV, QuickTime, 3GP, MPEG2 Transport Stream, AVC (H.264), AVCHD

mts is an ACVHD format.

"The .MTS file format is an AVCHD file (Advanced Video Codec High Definition), a video file format created specifically for high-definition (HD) digital camcorders.

The format was developed jointly by Sony and Panasonic for use in their camcorders. Support for the format has grown and is now supported by Canon, JVC and Sanyo video camcorders.

The format itself is based on the popular MPEG4 video codec and supports both 1080i and 720p video modes."

Again what was /is the problem?

These are the files that were captured from the camcorder using Roxio Media Import, the files that will be used for editing. The files as they exist on the camcorder are MTS files. After import, they are now mpg files. By converting them to another format, do I lose quality.

If your camcorder produces files you do not capture them!!! You merely COPY them to your HDD and use them.

If you captured them, I have no idea what you have on your hands.

If you convert them to something of equal quality, you are not losing anything.

Pull one of them into VideoWave, right click on it and select Properties. What does it say under Details?

Rhetorical question or do it really matter if both work. It is how your old computer was able to capture the videos vs the new ones and possibly what your setting were.

This is file type in for Creator 2009:

Video: AVI, DV, HDV, DV-AVI, MPEG-1/2/4, MPEG2-HD, DVD-Video**, IFO/VOB, DivX, DivX HD, XviD, DVR-MS, TiVo, ASF, MOV, WMV, QuickTime, 3GP, MPEG2 Transport Stream, AVC (H.264), AVCHD, .MOD (JVC Everio cameras)

For 2010:

Video: AVI, DV, HDV, DV-AVI, MPEG-1/2/4, MPEG2-HD, DVD-Video, IFO/VOB, XviD, DVR-MS, TiVo, ASF, MOV, WMV, QuickTime, 3GP, MPEG2 Transport Stream, AVC (H.264), AVCHD

mts is an ACVHD format.

"The .MTS file format is an AVCHD file (Advanced Video Codec High Definition), a video file format created specifically for high-definition (HD) digital camcorders.

The format was developed jointly by Sony and Panasonic for use in their camcorders. Support for the format has grown and is now supported by Canon, JVC and Sanyo video camcorders.

The format itself is based on the popular MPEG4 video codec and supports both 1080i and 720p video modes."

Again what was /is the problem?

Well, the main problem is that the video files imported as mpg in Creator 2009 now only work in Roxio products. No other product can display these videos, which is concerning since I now need to rely totally on Roxio, whose track record has not been good. Their products are incredibly buggy. Don't know why I started with them in the first place, but now I am stuck. So I was just wondering why Creator 2009 imported the video files differently than Creator 2010. Can't really be a Windows issue, since all the video were being imported by Creator 2009.

Questions:

Is there any way to convert the mpg files to a different format without losing quality so that other programs can play them? These are HD video files and I do not want to lose quality.

Is MTS a better (higher quality) format than mpg? All the acronyms and lingo around video file types are quite confusing.

Any response

None. :rolleyes:

Since they play on an earlier version, that means that they are OK. The next step would be to talk to Microsoft or to their forums. So far you are the only one experiencing this issue (and that has posted).

First have you updated your video card drivers to the latest (here).. Make sure that you have the applicable settings for application controlled. They should be.

Open Video Wave and go to the top menu and select tools, options, then put a dot next to software. It should be near hardware when you first open the window. See if you can now open the old mpg file.

You have a top of the line video card and I'm not sure that this program will have no problems with it. Some Nvidoa cards with the latest drivers do have a glitch with this program.

When you captured the old" video, did you capture from the same camera in high definition? Your old system may have tried to convert the video on the fly to mpg2 and may not have been able to handle it.

I see you have a flash memory camcorder. Did you capture or did you copy the files from the camcorder to your computer? What did you use to capture the video before and now?

Download and run gspot on the videos. What does it say about the old mpg2 files?

Why they are not playing in WMP? You will have to ask Microsoft.

If your camcorder produces files you do not capture them!!! You merely COPY them to your HDD and use them.

If you captured them, I have no idea what you have on your hands.

If you convert them to something of equal quality, you are not losing anything.

Pull one of them into VideoWave, right click on it and select Properties. What does it say under Details?

You are totally right, I should have just copied them. If I would have thought about it more??

File properties in Videowave

126.18 MB

MPEG-2

22264 kbps

46.42 seconds

1920x1088 pixels

29.97 fps

Sonic AVC/H.264 Video decoder

16 bit, 48000 hz stereo

Sonic Cinemaster Audio Decoder 4.3

You are totally right, I should have just copied them. If I would have thought about it more??

File properties in Videowave

126.18 MB

MPEG-2

22264 kbps

46.42 seconds

1920x1088 pixels

29.97 fps

Sonic AVC/H.264 Video decoder

16 bit, 48000 hz stereo

Sonic Cinemaster Audio Decoder 4.3

I captured the same file using 2010 and also copied and pasted the same file directly from the camcorder (no capture). The captured file and the copiied and and pasted file are exactly the same MTS file (same specs). It seems that when I captured the file using 2009, 2009 encoded it to an mpeg file, while 2010 is not encoding it during capture. Does that make sense?

The MTS file is a little bigger (132 MB) than the mpg file (specs above). Also the MTS file is shown as file type "video", while the mpg file is shown as file type "mpeg-2." Also the bit rate is a little lower on the mpeg-2 file.

Archived