• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 17 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

DVD menu not functioning

Oscarface

Question

Hello,

I have just tried burning a production with dvd menu 3 times, to no avail.

I brought my videowave 10 project into mydvd...created a chapter selections page....So I have two options on my main dvd menu:

Play Movie

Chapters

When I previewed the production in mydvd...all looked great...worked great...

I successfully encoded the disc...using High Quality, and then used DVD copy to burn it onto a DVD+R disc.

Now, when I go to play the DVD on my DVD player the DVD menu comes up, but there is no highlight to select what you want. And, though I read many people

having the problem of no highlight, but still being able to play it, I can not play, or select anything.

It just plays the DVD music...and then flashes my Chapters page quickly and then plays the music again.

If I put the disc in my computer, there is no highlight but I can click what I want, and it works fine.

Also, I tried loading the ISO into a virtual drive, and played it with Cineplayer and the highlight shows up and I can us the up/down keys to select what I want...all is well.

My screentest says to use Hardware, and I have used hardware successfully for many, many projects.

I tried using 2 brands of DVD discs, and 2 brands of regular DVD players.

What am I missing here?

11 answers to this question

Maybe you have worn the Hardware/Software toggle switch out! :lol:

It can be madding at times when you seem to be chasing your tail :(

Try what Steve has suggested. Should that not work, consider starting fresh? :huh:

hee hee Perhaps. Yeah, it's been quite maddening. Nothing is working here. As for starting fresh, that's not an option, as it's a long multiple camera production that took a while to do, and I need to ship it out asap.

I really don't get why it's playing the wrong song like that, overriding the songs that are supposed to be playing. Very strange.

Do you think it would matter that the songs are quicktime files? I usually don't work with quicktime audio files.

Go to the same place you changed from hardware to software and clear the proxy files. It will immediately be rebuilt. See if that get you to the musci you want. You didn't accidentally somehow set the music to loop did you? I don't even know if that is possible.

Thank you for your suggestion. I had high hopes that it would work, but it did not. I've tried so many things...moving the audio files, defrag, disk cleanup, all that jazz.

Usually I like mystery...but not when I'm over a deadline. lol

AN UPDATE:

I was up all night trying to fix this problem. I made another ISO file that worked fine when I loaded it into a virtual drive....It scrolled properly...and I could hit enter to play. (unlike the other ones I made)

But when I burned it, it didn't have the highlight/selection ability again.

So I took the ISO file and brought it into another computer, and burned it with that computer, and it works!

Unfortunetly, now I'm experiencing a new problem.

While the image quality is good, it's very jittery during movement. There's also a very visible line across the screen noticeable during movement.

Also the dissolves, which are usually smooth when I'm making/burning projects on this same computer are now really jittery with this production.

Why might this suddenly be happening?

Try – Tools – Options – Render and set it to Software.

Quick Time files are DRM protected if they were rented via their on-line store. They won't work.

Supported file formats for Audio.

Audio: Audio CD, MP3, WAV, WMA, Dolby Digital AC-3, AAC, Ogg Vorbis, FLAC, M4A, MP4, Playlists (WPL, ASX, M3U, PLS, XSPF)

If the files are not DRM protected (ripped from a CD) then use Sound Editor to make all the music into one track and add that to the production. It works unless you want specific music for a particular image or video section. The it is much trickier but can be done.

What brands of Media? Is it anything anyone ever heard of :lol:

Seems unlikely that both brands would fail when tried in 2 different Players, but I need to ask. ;)

Do any of them work in your PC?

Do you have any RW to try?

Thank you for you reply.

The brands I am using are Sony DVD+R, and Fujifilm (Which I know isn't so great). I just ran out of Verbatim, but I've been using the sony discs with Roxio for months now and never had a problem, so it can't be a brand problem.

I just finished burning yet another one, this time in software mode, and it's the same thing - no luck.

As mentioned, I tried 2 regular DVD players, and it's the same thing - no highlight...no playing functions.

If I put the disc in my computer, there's still no highlight...but I can click on "Play Movie" and "Chapters" with my mouse and it will work.

If I load the ISO into a virtual drive, there is the higlight and I can use the arrow keys to toggle between "Play Movie" and "Chapters", but just noticed that I still have to use the mouse to click on them, to get them to work, and can't just hit enter or anything.

I'm baffled.

As for using RW's, I bought some before, but I kept having problems with them. But I will look into trying another brand of RW.

Quick Time files are DRM protected if they were rented via their on-line store. They won't work.

Supported file formats for Audio.

Audio: Audio CD, MP3, WAV, WMA, Dolby Digital AC-3, AAC, Ogg Vorbis, FLAC, M4A, MP4, Playlists (WPL, ASX, M3U, PLS, XSPF)

If the files are not DRM protected (ripped from a CD) then use Sound Editor to make all the music into one track and add that to the production. It works unless you want specific music for a particular image or video section. The it is much trickier but can be done.

Thanks for your response. In the end, I went with what Jim said - redoing it. I delted all the music files off of my original videowave project, and reloaded them all, then resent the project into MYDVD, and redid the MYDVD project. I wish it hadn't required all that, but I'm very grateful that it actually worked, and I was able to send out the DVD.

Thanks for all your suggestions, guys.

Try – Tools – Options – Render and set it to Software.

You are correct, Sir!

I tell ya, I've toggled that Hardware/Software thing so many times, but forgot about it this time.

So, burning it on software fixed that problem, and I was enjoying a nice smooth playback..until.....

The wrong song played...not the song I put on that part of the timeline. Instead it had just played the song that was on the timeline before it, again. And then....again.....For some crazy reason, every song after the 2nd song, has been replaced by the 2nd song.

I just checked the timeline and all the songs are in the right places. I played it, and the preview in videowave playes it as it should be - all the songs playing just right.

Why would it do this during encoding when everything seem fine?

It's really one thing after another for this production. "#$^@ it Jim", I'm a videographer not a miracle worker! hee hee

I'm gonna try a few things, but any suggestions would be great, in case I log on here later still clueless.

Thank you

Codey

You are correct, Sir!

I tell ya, I've toggled that Hardware/Software thing so many times, but forgot about it this time.

So, burning it on software fixed that problem, and I was enjoying a nice smooth playback..until.....

The wrong song played...not the song I put on that part of the timeline. Instead it had just played the song that was on the timeline before it, again. And then....again.....For some crazy reason, every song after the 2nd song, has been replaced by the 2nd song.

I just checked the timeline and all the songs are in the right places. I played it, and the preview in videowave playes it as it should be - all the songs playing just right.

Why would it do this during encoding when everything seem fine?

It's really one thing after another for this production. "#$^@ it Jim", I'm a videographer not a miracle worker! hee hee

I'm gonna try a few things, but any suggestions would be great, in case I log on here later still clueless.

Thank you

Codey

Go to the same place you changed from hardware to software and clear the proxy files. It will immediately be rebuilt. See if that get you to the musci you want. You didn't accidentally somehow set the music to loop did you? I don't even know if that is possible.

AN UPDATE:

I was up all night trying to fix this problem. I made another ISO file that worked fine when I loaded it into a virtual drive....It scrolled properly...and I could hit enter to play. (unlike the other ones I made)

But when I burned it, it didn't have the highlight/selection ability again.

So I took the ISO file and brought it into another computer, and burned it with that computer, and it works!

Unfortunetly, now I'm experiencing a new problem.

While the image quality is good, it's very jittery during movement. There's also a very visible line across the screen noticeable during movement.

Also the dissolves, which are usually smooth when I'm making/burning projects on this same computer are now really jittery with this production.

Why might this suddenly be happening?

Archived