Setting bitrate

woodchuckr

Question

Hi all,

This may be a dumb question, but here goes anyway. I have a 1280*720, 10Mbps mpeg2 file. I can burn it to a blu-ray dvd and it plays mostly fine in a set-top blu-ray player. On the TV the resolution

is High Def, but the picture looks like it is jerky at times. It is interesting in that the picture does not get pixilated, only jerky. I turned on the player's display and it is doing anywhere from 6 - 13 Mbps. Playing the mpeg file on a computer looks fine.

When I burn this to a .iso file using mydvd, I've been using the "same as original" quality setting. Just for

giggles, I did a burn with a HQ quality and it produced the same size file as the "same as original" quality.

So my question is, is there a way to set the bitrate of a blu-ray dvd ? For a normal DVD, in mydvd, you can set the resolution and the bitrate in the project settings. That is not the case for a blu-ray project.

Am I missing something somewhere ? Thanks for any help.

8 answers to this question

Jim,

Yep, I'm using BD-RE. Actually I don't own a BD-R disk (yet :-)) . Thanks to you guys in this forum, I learned to never burn to a DVD or a Folder. I always burn to an .iso file and then use data/copy - Burn Disk Image. Much better results that way (again thanks)

Steve,

Until 2 days ago I never knew an AVCHD disk even existed. I though Blu-ray was Blu-ray. I'll check the owners manual to see if it support that format (now that I'm slowly getting smarter). Thanks for the pointer.

Gary,

Thanks for the reply. I saw those options, but I was just building a AVC dvd and not an MPEG dvd and those options were not there. That is why I asked about the AVC selection. Why would one build an MPEG instead of a AVC dvd ? I think I tried an MPEG dvd and my dvd player didn't like it.

Jim,

Thank you for your replay. I did try software rendering but only to test which was faster, HW or SW. They both were pretty close to the same speed so I've been doing RW. I never though about checking if the results were different/better. I also have 2 RE that I use. Actually I got those at Staples and they only had RE and not any BR-R. Must be everyone is only buying RE's :-)

When you select a MyDVD Bluray Project, the bitrates are preset and can not be changed. Go to the Project Settings, Change Video Format to MPEG 2, and then look at the Default Encoding Settings drop down list. You should have:

Fit to disc

Same As Original

EP = 1280 x 720p @15Mbps

LP = 1440 x 1080i @20Mbps

SP = 1920 x 1080i @25Mbps

HQ = 1920 x 1080p @28Mbps

I'm not sure if MyDVD uses CBR or VBR.

Gary,

If mpeg in AVCHD is a bluray standard, then do you think a blu-ray player should play it ? Maybe I did

a bad burn and I should try again. You are right, when I did that before (and specified Same as Original, it did create the .iso disk image MUCH faster and the iso image was a lot bigger. But then my DVD player said it was an invalid disk. So I didn't do that anymore. The blu-ray stuff is crazy. Makes you appreciate the regular DVD standards :-)

Gary,

If mpeg in AVCHD is a bluray standard, then do you think a blu-ray player should play it ? Maybe I did

a bad burn and I should try again. You are right, when I did that before (and specified Same as Original, it did create the .iso disk image MUCH faster and the iso image was a lot bigger. But then my DVD player said it was an invalid disk. So I didn't do that anymore. The blu-ray stuff is crazy. Makes you appreciate the regular DVD standards :-)

Hope you got some RE's by now :lol:

There are only 2 ways to burn a BD in Roxio MyDVD.

Directly to disc.

As an ISO and use Data/Copy – Burn Disc Image.

You cannot use the Folder option…

With RE's on hand, quick test…

Open MyDVD BD project, take defaults.

Add one still pic.

Burn!

HD MPEG 2 and AVCHD are both Bluray standards. If you are using regular DVDs (AVCHD on DVD), you don't have a choice. When you choose AVCHD on DVD, Video format is greyed out. AVC is the only choice. But you can still change the Preset. I would suggest 'EP' 1280x720p. That way MyDVD is not rendering the resolution higher which would also take longer. There is no advantage in doing that anyway.

Gary,

If mpeg in AVCHD is a bluray standard, then do you think a blu-ray player should play it ?

Not all Blu-ray players will play AVCHD discs. Check your owners manual. If it doesn't mention it, than it probably does not play AVCHD. If you can't find the information, post the model of your blu-ray player and we'll look. As a last resort, go to a store that has several player connected to TV and ask to try one that playes AVCHD discs.

Archived