• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 23 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Creator won't load avi files

skutter.red.dwarf

Question

I am running Creator 2010 on windows 7 professional 64 bit clean install. 5 Gb Ram & Ati 4670 Gfx Card (1GB).

When I use My DVD it will not let me load any kind of avi file. I Get the error message "The file you are trying to use cannot be edited, and has not been added." , if I convert the files from avi to say wmv then I can load them without any problems and burn the dvd ok.

All the avi files that I am trying to use all play ok in windows media player & videolan player. They also play on in MediaPortal media centre.

4 answers to this question

I am running Creator 2010 on windows 7 professional 64 bit clean install. 5 Gb Ram & Ati 4670 Gfx Card (1GB).

When I use My DVD it will not let me load any kind of avi file. I Get the error message "The file you are trying to use cannot be edited, and has not been added." , if I convert the files from avi to say wmv then I can load them without any problems and burn the dvd ok.

All the avi files that I am trying to use all play ok in windows media player & videolan player. They also play on in MediaPortal media centre.

Hmmm... not an expert with any A/V software but it sure sounds like a problem I have seen in my "other life". Sounds like a file that was burned to a data disk (CD or DVD). If this is true, check the file attributes for the file (right click the file in explorer and select properties). If the file is read only (even if it is now on your HD, it may still be read only), I should think an editting program might not be willing to open it but you might be able to import it. Otherwise, copy the file to a desired location on your hard drive and change the attributes so it is not read only and use this version (assuming you want to keep the original as is).

I hope this helps. It is simply my attempt to give back... I am NOT an A/V expert though--so if you get other feedback, I would recommend following that instead :blink: .

Good Luck,

SparkChaser

Not all "avi" files are created equal :rolleyes: and not all are acceptable to C2010. Since C2010 no longer supports DivX avi files that may be part of your problem. Where did you get the avi file and what kind is it?

I have the same problem, only I am running Windows 7 32-bit OS. I can view the AVI files in a number of players and can even load them into my "AVS DVD Authoring" program to create DVDs using the AVS4YOU application. But I can't load them into the "MyDVD" program or the "Videowave" program.

Just as a test I installed C2010 onto a Windows XP machine and MyDVD on XP was able to load the same AVI file without any problems.

I have checked to see what kind of AVI files they are and according to AVS Video editor they appear to be Microsoft MPEG-4 and MPEG-4 (DivX/Xvid compatible) files. GSpot shows the videos Codex as DivX 5x/6x (codec installed on system) and XVID 1.1.2 Final (codec installed on system)

So here are my questions:

1. Why isn't Roxio supporting DivX?

2. Why does C2010 work under XP and not under Win 7?

3. Is there anything that can be done to correct this?

All of the AVI I have so far were downloaded from the MegaUpload web site and converted video files using AVS Video Converter. Since I do a lot of downloading, having to convert these to a different format is time consuming and causes a loss of video quality. Since AVS4YOU can load these files, so should Creator 2010. While I prefer to use the MyDVD program over the AVS DVD Authoring program, until Roxio fixes the problem with using AVI files I will have to continue to use AVS4YOU.

I have the same problem, only I am running Windows 7 32-bit OS. I can view the AVI files in a number of players and can even load them into my "AVS DVD Authoring" program to create DVDs using the AVS4YOU application. But I can't load them into the "MyDVD" program or the "Videowave" program.

Just as a test I installed C2010 onto a Windows XP machine and MyDVD on XP was able to load the same AVI file without any problems.

I have checked to see what kind of AVI files they are and according to AVS Video editor they appear to be Microsoft MPEG-4 and MPEG-4 (DivX/Xvid compatible) files. GSpot shows the videos Codex as DivX 5x/6x (codec installed on system) and XVID 1.1.2 Final (codec installed on system)

So here are my questions:

1. Why isn't Roxio supporting DivX?

2. Why does C2010 work under XP and not under Win 7?

3. Is there anything that can be done to correct this?

All of the AVI I have so far were downloaded from the MegaUpload web site and converted video files using AVS Video Converter. Since I do a lot of downloading, having to convert these to a different format is time consuming and causes a loss of video quality. Since AVS4YOU can load these files, so should Creator 2010. While I prefer to use the MyDVD program over the AVS DVD Authoring program, until Roxio fixes the problem with using AVI files I will have to continue to use AVS4YOU.

C2010 accepts DivX/Xvid files (for the moment) but you no longer can output in that format. It works with XP and Vista.

Why they are dropping support, you will have to ask Roxio/Sonic

Archived