• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 12 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

what is DAO and why doesn't the burned DVD open on my Mac G4?

1point9and1half

Question

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :angry2:

Please Help: I get the following error message everytime I load Easy CD & DVD burning:

Please wait untill windows loads DAO. Then it doesen't load. Then I get an error message, then I cancel it and Easy CD & DVD burning loads. What is DAO and how do I fix this problem?

My Version:

Roxio Easy CD and DVD Burning

Version: 9.0.554

Build: 905B54T, R01

Serial Number:

Copyright: Sonic Solutions 2006

Module Name: PX Engine

Build: 3.4.45a, 3

Module Name: Roxio Core

Version: 3.4.0

Build: 340B65B,

Also running windows XP home SP3 on a Dell Dimensions 2400 with 2 gigs of ram, and an 80GB hard drive that is half full; i.e. 40 GB empty. All windows products are up to date.

I also can't burn a data DVD from my PC that will open on my Mac G4 but opens on any PC. What's going on here?

Thanks in advance, any usefull information out there would be a big help.

10 answers to this question

Excellent! All understood, and I hope you get your files archived properly.

As far as reading on the Mac goes, in theory you would need a drive which only handles DVD-Rs to show that behaviour, and that sort of old drive is very rare nowadays. <snip>

The Mac owners I consulted haven't seen this, so I can't explain why it happens. Perhaps a Mac guru might help us with this?

Best regards,

Brendon

Brendon,

My Mac friend and Guru is out of town for a few weeks, when he gets back I’ll ask him about this and try to remember to let you know if I find out anything of use.

In the mean time I’m still plugging along slowly archiving my graphic files.

OMG this old Dell is slow :blink:

Best,

1point9and1half

You didn't say what the error message was when DAO failed to load.

DAO360.dll is a Microsoft object library DLL, and sometimes you can run into problems with it not being registered properly - hence the failure to load when it should. These problems have been resolved by unregistering and then re-registering the DLL.

To resolve this issue, open the run prompt (start>run) and type the following:

regsvr32 /u "c:\program files\common files\microsoft shared\dao\dao360.dll"

Click OK

Open the run prompt again and type the following:

regsvr32 "c:\program files\common files\microsoft shared\dao\dao360.dll"

Click OK

You can cut and paste the bolded commands to save mistakes in typing them.

Regards,

Brendon

Which one do you think is the girl? :unsure:

Ogdens,

I wasn’t sure if I should address your off topic comment before. But, for the record it isn’t fair to assume that all posters are of a specific gender. I’m new to THIS forum, but I’m not new to forums in general; I belong to several. I’d also like to point out that some members don’t specify their gender, and that’s true here too. I also have female friends that work in the IT world and they are just as good as the men I know in the IT world.

1point9and1half

Whew! I'm not sure how you're going to fix this one.

DAO is Microsoft's Data Access Objects system, and it's installed by Windows. [i can see it in my clean XP-SP2 which has never even seen a Roxio program.]

Your second popup confirms that the Windows Installer is trying to reinstall MS DAO, and [of course] can't find the installation package. I've come across the registration problem I mentioned earlier, but I've not seen it get tangled up with the Microsoft Installer before.

My first inclination would be to get a recent version of DAO from Microsoft, clean up the installer with their cleanup tool, and install the new version instead. HOWEVER I backup my system at least once a day, so if it all turned to custard I could restore everything in a few minutes. If you can't backup/restore your system that easily you might be better off putting up with the annoying wait before you can use your ECDC.

In any case, you really should consult the Microsoft site before you do anything about this one.

As far as Macs reading PC discs, it's not a matter of DVD+R vs DVD-R it's the difference between PC and Mac file systems. Someone here might be able to point you to the best way to write a Mac readable data disc in your PC. HERE is an article I found on the subject - it's not simple.

Regards,

Brendon

Brendon,

Thanks for your help.

Whew is right! As long as I can archive my graphics files I'll be pleased, and I think I can live with the error message as long as ECD&DVD works.

I might try your suggestions later (they are a bit over my head for now,) but presently if I can just archive all my graphics files I'll be happy.

I did find out an interesting thing: The DVD-R now opens on my Mac, and DVD+R does not. Go figure! I have no explanation other then it works just fine except for the inconvenience of the weird error message and then the subsequent final load. I think I can live with this for a while, at least until I have all my files archived and on my new PC.

Best wishes,

1point9and1half

I did find out an interesting thing: The DVD-R now opens on my Mac, and DVD+R does not. Go figure! I have no explanation other then it works just fine except for the inconvenience of the weird error message and then the subsequent final load. I think I can live with this for a while, at least until I have all my files archived and on my new PC.

Best wishes,

1point9and1half

Excellent! All understood, and I hope you get your files archived properly.

As far as reading on the Mac goes, in theory you would need a drive which only handles DVD-Rs to show that behaviour, and that sort of old drive is very rare nowadays.

However in practice seeing is believing, and being there when it happens is more important than sitting at the desk thinking about it so I believe you. More than one of our gurus have been bitten on the backside for saying "There's no such thing!" :lol:

The Mac owners I consulted haven't seen this, so I can't explain why it happens. Perhaps a Mac guru might help us with this?

Best regards,

Brendon

Thanks guys, or should I say… thanks guy and gal Gurus?

The error code goes like this: first screen:

The first window to pop up says: “Please wait while Windows configures DAO”.

The second window to pop up says: “Error 1706. No valid source could be found for product DAO. The Windows installer can not continue”.

Then if I wait long enough it does it again, it either loads or I cancel it and Easy CD & DVD Burning finally loads and I can burn data.

So it sot of works as is, but it’s a pain. My bigger problem is that my Mac can’t read the DVD disk I just burned on my PC. A friend asked if I was using DVD-R or DVD+R and he gave me the impression that Mac will only read DVD-R. What’s the difference?

Anyway; I’ll try this stuff when I get home from work today… I need to run.

Thanks again for your time,

1point9and1half

Thanks guys, or should I say… thanks guy and gal Gurus?

The error code goes like this: first screen:

The first window to pop up says: "Please wait while Windows configures DAO".

The second window to pop up says: "Error 1706. No valid source could be found for product DAO. The Windows installer can not continue".

Then if I wait long enough it does it again, it either loads or I cancel it and Easy CD & DVD Burning finally loads and I can burn data.

So it sot of works as is, but it's a pain. My bigger problem is that my Mac can't read the DVD disk I just burned on my PC. A friend asked if I was using DVD-R or DVD+R and he gave me the impression that Mac will only read DVD-R. What's the difference?

Anyway; I'll try this stuff when I get home from work today… I need to run.

Thanks again for your time,

1point9and1half

Which one do you think is the girl? :unsure:

Whew! I'm not sure how you're going to fix this one.

DAO is Microsoft's Data Access Objects system, and it's installed by Windows. [i can see it in my clean XP-SP2 which has never even seen a Roxio program.]

Your second popup confirms that the Windows Installer is trying to reinstall MS DAO, and [of course] can't find the installation package. I've come across the registration problem I mentioned earlier, but I've not seen it get tangled up with the Microsoft Installer before.

My first inclination would be to get a recent version of DAO from Microsoft, clean up the installer with their cleanup tool, and install the new version instead. HOWEVER I backup my system at least once a day, so if it all turned to custard I could restore everything in a few minutes. If you can't backup/restore your system that easily you might be better off putting up with the annoying wait before you can use your ECDC.

In any case, you really should consult the Microsoft site before you do anything about this one.

As far as Macs reading PC discs, it's not a matter of DVD+R vs DVD-R it's the difference between PC and Mac file systems. Someone here might be able to point you to the best way to write a Mac readable data disc in your PC. HERE is an article I found on the subject - it's not simple.

Regards,

Brendon

Archived