• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 7 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Storyboard Issues

rjtitus

Question

I am using the retail version of Roxio EMC 7 with the 7.1.1.189 update from their web site.

My PC is A Dell Pentium, 3.2 GHZ, 1 GB Ram.

This is a 2-part problem…

Part 1…I encounter a hang-up problem when using the Storyboard to create a simple slideshow. The hang-ups occur when I drag and drop a photo into a frame or modify a photo or simply save the slideshow. I have not been able to zero in on any specific task that causes a hang-up, it appears to be random. My last hang-up occurred while modifying a photo while internet access was blocked.

In order to overcome the hang-ups, I can exit the Storyboard, hourglass and all, and save the slideshow as I exit.

Part 2…After the hang-ups, I can no longer launch the Storyboard component, that is, when click on the “Create Slideshow”, nothing happens. I have also located the .exe file for the slideshow component but it will not launch directly from this file.

In order to overcome the no-launch problem, the only workaround I know of is rebooting my PC. Then I can launch the Storyboard component again.

Any thoughts as to why the hang-ups occur or why I can’t re-launch the Storyboard component after a hang-up???

Thanks in advance…

RJ

PS – I have re-installed Roxio several times but the above problems keep coming back.

8 answers to this question

ml,

I used VideoWave as you suggested, but the same thing (ie, hangup then unable to launch component) happened. Any other suggestions?

Thanks again,

rj

How about listing your hard drive free space and your video card.

Have you defragged your hard drive, checked for ad and spyware? What kind of photo files are you adding to your project?

I'm not exactly sure if this could be your problem RJ, but a long time ago when using Videowave (and ml is right about using Videowave rather than Create Slide Show) and making a production when in the Storyboard view, As I was placing different files into each board and wanting to get to a file (thumb nail of a certain photo that was way down past where i could see), the program would hang up when I tried to slide down the screen to where it was located using the scroll bar on the left, and I'd have to restart the whole program again. The one way I managed to stop that was clicking on the little Icon that looks like a green dashed box at the top of the menu, ("Select All Items") and then click on the exact one I wanted and drag it to the board (BTW, that's a tricky situation also to get the drag into the right box, especially if it's somewhere in the middle). Once I did that I could scroll down as fast as I wanted and the program wouldn't freeze or hang up.

Frank.....

I am using the retail version of Roxio EMC 7 with the 7.1.1.189 update from their web site.

My PC is A Dell Pentium, 3.2 GHZ, 1 GB Ram.

This is a 2-part problem…

Part 1…I encounter a hang-up problem when using the Storyboard to create a simple slideshow. The hang-ups occur when I drag and drop a photo into a frame or modify a photo or simply save the slideshow. I have not been able to zero in on any specific task that causes a hang-up, it appears to be random. My last hang-up occurred while modifying a photo while internet access was blocked.

In order to overcome the hang-ups, I can exit the Storyboard, hourglass and all, and save the slideshow as I exit.

Part 2…After the hang-ups, I can no longer launch the Storyboard component, that is, when click on the “Create Slideshow”, nothing happens. I have also located the .exe file for the slideshow component but it will not launch directly from this file.

In order to overcome the no-launch problem, the only workaround I know of is rebooting my PC. Then I can launch the Storyboard component again.

Any thoughts as to why the hang-ups occur or why I can’t re-launch the Storyboard component after a hang-up???

Thanks in advance…

RJ

PS – I have re-installed Roxio several times but the above problems keep coming back.

There are 3 things that you could do that I remember from way back when. First, make sure that your video card is up to snuff and has the latest drivers. Second, make sure you have the latest update for the software. Third, get rid of any adware/malware on your computer by using free versions of AdAware and/or Spybot.

I use Spy Sweeper, but it is not free. It is the best out there, IMHO.

There are 3 things that you could do that I remember from way back when. First, make sure that your video card is up to snuff and has the latest drivers. Second, make sure you have the latest update for the software. Third, get rid of any adware/malware on your computer by using free versions of AdAware and/or Spybot.

I use Spy Sweeper, but it is not free. It is the best out there, IMHO.

Thank you all for your expertise on this matter, I appreciate your time and effort.

However, while waiting for responses to my initial posting, my wife suggested a simpler workaround until I can figure out what is causing the hang ups.

Here’s what it is…

First, what appears to be happening when the StoryBoard or VideoWave hangs up and is closed (as I described in my initial posting), it seems that I am only closing the GUI but not the process itself. If you open the Task Manager after a hang up, close, then failure to launch, you’ll find the process (StoryBoard7.exe, for example) still active and listed under the Process tab but not listed under the Applications tab. Once I ended the process, I was able to re-open the application again without rebooting. So far, this has worked, but I’m not sure it will work in all cases.

As I said, this seems to be a simple workaround until I can figure out what is causing the hang ups. All of your suggestions will be something I need to look at.

Thanks again,

rj

PS – To answer one of your questions, the pictures I’m using in the slideshow are jpeg format taken with one of two digital cameras, a Kodak DX3600, a Canon PowerShot S1 IS, or older prints scanned in on an HP PSC 750.

Guest mlpasley

My suggestion? Don't click on the 'create slideshow' icon.

Instead, open VideoWave and create your slideshow in that program.

Basically, Storyboard is the same program and both save the files as .dmsm files. The difference (and this is just an observation because I don't work for Roxio) seems to be that it uses RAM memory more and when that gets full, you get a crash.

Also, even in VideoWave, save frequently.

I also use 2 copies just in case one of the productions crashes and becomes corrupt. For example, do a File\Save as.... filenamecopy1. Then Save As again as....filenamecopy2. Then each time I save, I do a File\ Save then another File\ Save as.... and choose the other filename and choose to overwrite the original file. So you're alternating between 2 filenames and in case of problems like software failure or an electrical failure which corrupts your editing (videowave) file, you'll only have to redo your most recent changes.

Basically, Storyboard is the same program and both save the files as .dmsm files. The difference (and this is just an observation because I don't work for Roxio) seems to be that it uses RAM memory more and when that gets full, you get a crash.

I also use 2 copies just in case one of the productions crashes and becomes corrupt. For example, do a File\Save as.... filenamecopy1. Then Save As again as....filenamecopy2. Then each time I save, I do a File\ Save then another File\ Save as.... and choose the other filename and choose to overwrite the original file. So you're alternating between 2 filenames and in case of problems like software failure or an electrical failure which corrupts your editing (videowave) file, you'll only have to redo your most recent changes.

Thanks ml, I'll give it a try...rj

ml,

I used VideoWave as you suggested, but the same thing (ie, hangup then unable to launch component) happened. Any other suggestions?

Thanks again,

rj

Archived