• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 16 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

DVD+R RW

georgecranton

Question

6 answers to this question

Guest mlpasley
How do I add aditional data files to a DVD+R RW with out errasing old files?

What program did you use to put the files on the DVD originally?

If you use Creator Classic to burn the DVD and make certain that the option to add additional files is selected.

Then you can go back later and in Creator Classic 'import' the files from the DVD and then add the files that you want to add to the DVD.

What you are proposing is a multi-session burn disc. Go to Creator Classic and place all the files you want to burn. (Assume That's your first burn). Then after burning that first session remove the disc from the drive and get back into Creator Classic and place your previously burned disc back into the drive. Now BEFORE you add any more files to this second burn, click on the little Icon which is the third Icon from the left of the red burn Icon near the middle and left side of the screen. All of the previously burned files should be added to this second burn. NOW , add any more additional file to the box below and do another burn. That should do it.

Note: If you are burning files that you want to keep for a long period of time don't use an RW disc. The information will deteriorate quite fast. Most OP's prefer to use RW discs for transferring files or for test reasons or something that they will not need in a short time.

Frank....

Guest mlpasley

I think that's what I said, but your explanation is much more detailed, Frank.

Sometimes I'm pressed for time and don't give long explanations. ( Although most would disagree. :) )

How do I add aditional data files to a DVD+R RW with out errasing old files?

It is unclear if you are referring to R or RW media. However, a bit of clarification is in order.

If you "erase" a file from RW media, you won't get any space back, any more than if you "erase" a file from R media. All you do is remove it form the TOC [Table of Contents] so you can't find it without a recovery program.

The difference is you can erase the ENTIRE disc and start over.

However, the same qualities that enable the disc to be erased cause the disc to start fading as soon as it is created. Some people report they can read discs years later. Other people, sounding quite frantic, cannot read the data when they need it - whether sooner or later. If the RW has faded beyond where a recovery program can retrieve the info, it is GONE.

That is why R media is recommended for most uses, other than testing, and situations where the original file is left in place (as transferring files directly between computers if there is no other alternative).

Lynn

You're absolutly right ml. I have an excuse however :) ---I was writing that long solution at the same time you must have already sent your reply. Because when I posted my reply and went back and checked, your reply was already there--Sorry ml if I overshot your post. No intention of doing that !!

And georgecranton---Take heed to what Lynn was suggesting if you have files to save and you wish to keep them for a long time. Otherwise you are risking some possible valuable files.

Frank....

Guest mlpasley
Sorry ml if I overshot your post. No intention of doing that !!

Frank....

No worries. I've done that myself. In fact, if I'd posted one of my usual long winded explanations, I would have posted after you. :)

Archived