Backup MyPC, crashes CD, crashes itself

gfcatlanta

Question

I recently installed EMC8, and trying different settings for BackupMyPC. Testing these on small folders so they go fast. At least two problems...

1) When I route it to my CD/DVD burner... it produced a report that showed both backup and compare went fine, 27 files backed up. I put a new TDK CD-R in the drive, same as has been working well for a long time. But when I go to look at what's on the CD...

a) the CD/DVD icon is changed to just "CD"

B) it doesn't show the files, cursor seems to spring off of the CD, if you keep clicking...

c) it eventually it says cannot read CD, might be CD is corrupt, never shows what's on it...no open folder...no files

d) if I try to put the CD back in later...same as #c above

??????????

2) When I first start BackupMyPC and click big BACKUP icon to try to set up a job... I then click

More Options >

when I get to clicking

Exclude

it pauses, waits a minute, then the whole BackupMyPC evaporates from the screen...back to desktop

So... What's going on here?

There is another backup program on the PC (maxtor one touch), it isn't running, but why would that interfere any more than the fact that Roxio itself has 2 backup programs in EMC8

I already did the update as far as I know, it says it is build# 805B56B

All this seems really, really shakey, especially for something as important as a backup system. I've had BackupMyPC before (over many years), an it worked just fine in the past.

Would appreciate suggestions

Thanks,

George

1 answer to this question

I recently installed EMC8, and trying different settings for BackupMyPC. Testing these on small folders so they go fast. At least two problems...

1) When I route it to my CD/DVD burner... it produced a report that showed both backup and compare went fine, 27 files backed up. I put a new TDK CD-R in the drive, same as has been working well for a long time. But when I go to look at what's on the CD...

a) the CD/DVD icon is changed to just "CD"

:) it doesn't show the files, cursor seems to spring off of the CD, if you keep clicking...

c) it eventually it says cannot read CD, might be CD is corrupt, never shows what's on it...no open folder...no files

d) if I try to put the CD back in later...same as #c above

??????????

2) When I first start BackupMyPC and click big BACKUP icon to try to set up a job... I then click

More Options >

when I get to clicking

Exclude

it pauses, waits a minute, then the whole BackupMyPC evaporates from the screen...back to desktop

So... What's going on here?

There is another backup program on the PC (maxtor one touch), it isn't running, but why would that interfere any more than the fact that Roxio itself has 2 backup programs in EMC8

I already did the update as far as I know, it says it is build# 805B56B

All this seems really, really shakey, especially for something as important as a backup system. I've had BackupMyPC before (over many years), an it worked just fine in the past.

Would appreciate suggestions

Thanks,

George

As far as question 1, that is quite normal. The backup is in a format that explorer can not read. If you put that CD or DVD in the drive and open Backup MYPC for restore, click on media view and you can see what's backed up on the CD. And be able to restore from it. The backup compresses the data and makes one large file that it can read in restore mode.

For number 2, I can't say I have this problem and am not sure why you do. Are you trying to exclude certain types of files or certain directories or files. If directories or files, you can just uncheck in the list.

Hope this helps.

Marlin

Archived