juano92126

Trouble burning from Video TS file

Question

Hello:

I followed the instructions in the Toast help file (Clicked the "DVD-Video from VIDEO_TS" button then dragged the "Video TS" folder onto the Toast window.)

The DVD will play fine on the computer with all chapters and menus.

When I put it in my DVD player I get an error message "incorrect disc".

I am using Mac OS X 10.3.9, Toast 7.0.2 and Verbatim DVD-R blanks.

Thanks

11 answers to this question

Is it possible that you've recorded a PAL disc when you wanted NTSC or vice versa? Look in Toast preferences to see if you have it set for PAL or NTSC.

Is it possible that you've recorded a PAL disc when you wanted NTSC or vice versa? Look in Toast preferences to see if you have it set for PAL or NTSC.

Thanks for your help, but Toast preferences are set to NTSC which is correct for USA.

Any other ideas?

Thanks

Edited by juano92126

Thanks for your help, but Toast preferences are set to NTSC which is correct for USA.

Any other ideas?

Thanks

It still sounds like a PAL issue. Open Toast and choose DVD video as the format in the Video window. Click the + button at the bottom. Find the VIDEO_TS folder and select the file VTS_01_1. When it appears in the Video window, select it and click the Edit button. How is the video described? Is it 29.97 fps or is it 25 fps. If it is the latter then the video is in PAL format.

Toast will convert PAL to NTSC if you use the media browser to extract the MPEG from the VIDEO_TS (or the DVD) to the Video window with DVD video as the format, and then have Toast re-encode the video.

It still sounds like a PAL issue. Open Toast and choose DVD video as the format in the Video window. Click the + button at the bottom. Find the VIDEO_TS folder and select the file VTS_01_1. When it appears in the Video window, select it and click the Edit button. How is the video described? Is it 29.97 fps or is it 25 fps. If it is the latter then the video is in PAL format.

Toast will convert PAL to NTSC if you use the media browser to extract the MPEG from the VIDEO_TS (or the DVD) to the Video window with DVD video as the format, and then have Toast re-encode the video.

tsantee:

You are exactly correct! It was at 25 fps.

Now, the problem I'm having is the file is 140 minutes. The DVDs I am using are Verbatim DVD-R 4.7GB 120 minutes. I am getting an error message that there is not enough room to burn the file. At some point I stumbled across an option to have Toast "auto compress" the file to fit onto 120 minutes, but now I can't find it.

Thanks for all your help with this. There is no way I would have figured this out on my own.

Now, the problem I'm having is the file is 140 minutes. The DVDs I am using are Verbatim DVD-R 4.7GB 120 minutes. I am getting an error message that there is not enough room to burn the file. At some point I stumbled across an option to have Toast "auto compress" the file to fit onto 120 minutes, but now I can't find it.

Thanks for all your help with this. There is no way I would have figured this out on my own.

Good. We're almost there. The 120-minute rating for the DVD-R is pretty meaningless. Toast should be able to encode a 140-minute MPEG video with Dolby Digital audio that fits onto that disc.

Try these steps:

Use the Toast Media Browser to extract the title(s) you want from the VIDEO_TS folder to the Video window (with DVD Video selected as the format in the Video window). Set up the menu the way you want and choose Save as Disc Image from the File menu. Toast should ask if you want to convert the video from PAL to NTSC. Click okay. This is going to take awhile.

When it is done, select the disc image file using the Image File setting in the Toast Copy window. Click the burn button. If it is too large to fit a single-layer disc then Toast will use its Fit-to-DVD feature to do some additional compression and then burn the DVD. Otherwise the DVD will be burned directly after clicking the button.

When you quit Toast the Roxio Converted Items folder is emptied by default. You may not want this to happen if you plan to do these steps over time. You can change that default in Toast preferences.

You have yet another option. There are a few pretty cheap DVD players that do the PAL-to-NTSC conversion on the fly. So if this is something you will be experiencing a lot it may be better to just find something that will play the PAL disc.

Edited by tsantee

Wow! What a long strange trip that was. I finally made it to the other side. I now have a DVD that will play on my DVD player.

I will never be able to thank you for all your help. There is absolutely no way I ever have been able to figure that out on my own.

And it seemed so easy in the beginning

You're welcome. Glad to know you've been successful.

Edited by tsantee

tsantee:

I have one last question/problem (I hope!?!)

When I put the DVD in my computer the main menu shows up and I can navigate to all the different chapters.

When I put the DVD in my DVD player, the movie justs start playing. The main menu is not displayed.

So my question is: how do I get the menu with chapters to display on my DVD player the way they do on my computer?

Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong this time?

Thanks

Edited by juano92126

tsantee:

I have one last question/problem (I hope!?!)

When I put the DVD in my computer the main menu shows up and I can navigate to all the different chapters.

When I put the DVD in my DVD player, the movie justs start playing. The main menu is not displayed.

So my question is: how do I get the menu with chapters to display on my DVD player the way they do on my computer?

Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong this time?

Thanks

Make sure the "Auto-play disc on insert" check box is unchecked before burning your DVD.

You can fix the one you burned by inserting the DVD and use the Toast Media Browser to drag the titles from that DVD to the Video window. Set up the menu and name the titles the way you want, uncheck the auto-play box and burn your new DVD. That way you won't have to go through any re-encoding of the video (only multiplexing of the audio).

Can Toast convert FROM NTSC TO PAL?

Can Toast convert FROM NTSC TO PAL?

Yes. Set the format you want in Toast Preferences. When you click the burn button (or choose Save as Disc Image) and the video file is not the format set in preferences Toast will ask you if you want it converted.