Digitising LPs

Blue Boy

Question

I am using a Pro-Ject Debut III USB Turntable connected (to USB) to a Sony NW21ZF laptop (Windows7). I installed the turnable which does not have software with it but was recognised by Windows as an USB Audio Codec device. The recordings from an LP have pops and odd noises which are not on the record which is in good condition. The Auto level does not seem to capture the correct level and has to be adjusted to stop clipping. The sound card is a Realtek High Definition Audio. The device on the drop down list is listed as Microphone (USB Audio CODEC). Can anyone advise what is wrong? Any help would be appreciated.

5 answers to this question

I am using a Pro-Ject Debut III USB Turntable connected (to USB) to a Sony NW21ZF laptop (Windows7). I installed the turnable which does not have software with it but was recognised by Windows as an USB Audio Codec device. The recordings from an LP have pops and odd noises which are not on the record which is in good condition. The Auto level does not seem to capture the correct level and has to be adjusted to stop clipping. The sound card is a Realtek High Definition Audio. The device on the drop down list is listed as Microphone (USB Audio CODEC). Can anyone advise what is wrong? Any help would be appreciated.

What are the available options on the device drop down?

Since you would be capturing from the USB device, then the sound settings on your RealTek chipset should have no affect on the recording level, so my quick guess is that you may actually be recording through a microphone (possibly built into your laptop?), which would also account for getting extra noises. Try talking during one of these recording sessions and see if you can hear yourself.

What application in Creator 2010 are you using to do the audio capture?

Let us know so we can continue on.

What are the available options on the device drop down?

Since you would be capturing from the USB device, then the sound settings on your RealTek chipset should have no affect on the recording level, so my quick guess is that you may actually be recording through a microphone (possibly built into your laptop?), which would also account for getting extra noises. Try talking during one of these recording sessions and see if you can hear yourself.

What application in Creator 2010 are you using to do the audio capture?

Let us know so we can continue on.

I am using Roxio LP and Tape Assistant to capture the sound. I have also tried Roxio Easy Audio Capture with the same result. I tried the recording and talking but there is no background noise. The options on the drop down list are Microphone (USB Audio CODEC); Microphone (Realtek High Definition Audio); Speakers (USB Audio CODEC) and Speaker/HP (Realtek High Definition Audio).

I tried the Speakers (USB Audio CODEC) option and this doesn't work.

Okay, so it sounds like the "Microphone (USB Audio CODEC)" option is the right one.

Can you give a better description of the "pops and odd noises" you're hearing? Do they occur randomly throughout the music? Only on loud sections? Quiet sections? If they occur during loud passages, does it sound like distortion from something being over-driven or clipped?

Okay, so it sounds like the "Microphone (USB Audio CODEC)" option is the right one.

Can you give a better description of the "pops and odd noises" you're hearing? Do they occur randomly throughout the music? Only on loud sections? Quiet sections? If they occur during loud passages, does it sound like distortion from something being over-driven or clipped?

Difficult to describe the noise. It happens throughout not just at loud passages. It sounds a bit like harsh popping noises. They are continual. Sorry I can't be more explicit.