Best File Types for DVD (from DV-AVI)

nissmo66

Question

Hello,

I've been working on some video for quite a while and can't seem to get the quality I want from the renders.

I'm using VW7. The problem is VW has so many different files types you can render to. Most of the time I render using the walk through in VW (where it asks you what you'll be using the file for). Most of the time I choose DVD authoring and let it pick the file typr for me, but after rendering I find it's pretty bad, even worse when it's on TV. And compared to the origanl file from the camcorder it's never as clear or the colors are never as good.

Can someone explain a little about the file types and what the differences are, and what file types might produce the best quality, without using a ton of space.

VW lists everything from:

DVIX AVI (3 versions)

DV format AVI (2 versions)

MPEG 1 (6 versions)

MPEG 2 (14 versions)

Uncompressed AVI (4 versions)

Windows Media Video (3 versions)

WMV 8 (18 versions)

You can see why I'm a little confused.

4 answers to this question

Unless you have an audio/video sync problems, don't do a File\ Output production to....

Just click on the Burn button and take that production directly into DVD Builder.

If you're trying to take the video back to a DV AVI tape in your camcorder, choose File\ Output production to... and choose DV camcorder.

If you're having problems getting it to render in DVD Builder and want to find a problem in the Storyline, choose Video File\ DVD authoring\ Best. The render will freeze at the time that there is a problem in the storyline (ie. transition, picture, special effect, etc.)

Is there a particular reason you're using the Output option?

I'm not burning the video yet, sorry I wasn't that clear on that. I'm editing several clips together in VW7 from a miniDV camcorder. so I'm cutting all the marterial that I don't want and making one clip out of several. And I'm wondering what all the video types are. Does that clear anyhting up? :):huh:

Of course there are 2 ways to go…

You can output the clip which cerates a new file. Since your source is already mpeg2 that would be a logical output, with AVI as a second choice.

You can also just save the VW project. This way your original file is left intact and the VW Project file (dmsm) contains 'notes' as to what editing you have done. These dmdm files can be imported into VW or even DVD Builder. Important Note: you must retain the source file and leave it in the same place for the dmsm files to work!!!

I would suggest you get a DVD RW disc or 2 and burn a DVD to see how things look. No point in plowing a great amount of time into this only to find out it isn't what you want.

Guest mlpasley

I just reread your original message and I completely overlooked this statement. ".... but after rendering I find it's pretty bad, even worse when it's on TV. And compared to the origanl file from the camcorder it's never as clear or the colors are never as good. "

How are you importing the video? There is some decrease from a DV camcorder, but 'pretty bad' doesn't sound normal.

Guest mlpasley

Unless you have an audio/video sync problems, don't do a File\ Output production to....

Just click on the Burn button and take that production directly into DVD Builder.

If you're trying to take the video back to a DV AVI tape in your camcorder, choose File\ Output production to... and choose DV camcorder.

If you're having problems getting it to render in DVD Builder and want to find a problem in the Storyline, choose Video File\ DVD authoring\ Best. The render will freeze at the time that there is a problem in the storyline (ie. transition, picture, special effect, etc.)

Is there a particular reason you're using the Output option?

Archived