• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 23 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

How/where are raw HDV files saved?

dmcheng

Question

Hello. One of my friends has an HDV camera (Canon Vixia HV30) and a Windows PC with Easy Media Creator 9. I have a Mac with OS X and iMovie 09. He will be shooting footage and sending me the raw HDV video on an external hard drive so I can process it in iMovie '09.

I need to tell my friend where to find the HDV files on his computer once he's captured the video from the camera. I'm a Windows guy but I don't have EMC 9 and he's not the most tech-savvy, so I can't really step him through the process.

Can anyone tell me where the HDV files are located in EMC 9 after a capture? Also - are there any special settings that need to be made for a capture to retain the raw format?

Thanks!

David

4 answers to this question

Hello. One of my friends has an HDV camera (Canon Vixia HV30) and a Windows PC with Easy Media Creator 9. I have a Mac with OS X and iMovie 09. He will be shooting footage and sending me the raw HDV video on an external hard drive so I can process it in iMovie '09.

I need to tell my friend where to find the HDV files on his computer once he's captured the video from the camera. I'm a Windows guy but I don't have EMC 9 and he's not the most tech-savvy, so I can't really step him through the process.

Can anyone tell me where the HDV files are located in EMC 9 after a capture? Also - are there any special settings that need to be made for a capture to retain the raw format?

Thanks!

David

Your friend should capture in DV avi format using the Firewire connection. The capture location is a user option

Thanks for your reply. I'm moving across the country so this person is taking over my volunteer video chores, but he's not experienced.

David, why don't you just capture the files for him?

Aslso consider buying Toast to help make burning easier.

Your friend should capture in DV avi format using the Firewire connection. The capture location is a user option

Thanks for your reply. Is this the default format? I did have time to do one test with him and when we attached the camera, the import seemed to be in MPG format. I didn't have time to investigate further. Is this avi format a "standard" i.e. can it be imported by other video programs?

Thanks for your reply. Is this the default format? I did have time to do one test with him and when we attached the camera, the import seemed to be in MPG format. I didn't have time to investigate further. Is this avi format a "standard" i.e. can it be imported by other video programs?

I have that camcorder and the native capture is 1440 by 1080 mpg2. I can't change it. Mpg2 is the standard that is used on all home burned DVD except when you get into AVCHD /or Blu-ray. Toast accepts mpg2.

IMovie (older version) does not natively support mpg2.

You friend needs to capture the video and put it into Video Wave. Once it is there, he can output the project to any number of formats. Tell him which one you prefer.

There are also a lot of converters that will change the mpg2 to one that iMovie will accept. Since you have a MAC and you are experienced, you can use the Pro version of Quicktime to do the conversion.

Now about the external hard drive. Are you sure that you will be able to read it with the MAC? I doubt it. You might look into copying the files to a DVD

How long will the movies be? You can get just one hour of best quality video on a disc.

Few things are easy when you are trying to get a PC to talk to a MAC.