Newbie needs some pointers

cmontana

Question

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to this whole DVD authoring thing. I've read quite a few postings here and was wondering if someone might be able point me in the right direction. I just installed EMC 8 and the 8.05 update.

What I'd like to know is; what is a good, basic process for capturing video data with the intent of burning home-movie DVDs? Specifically, I interested in the application settings that are best suited for this task (i.e., import video as DV-AVI format, etc.).

Also, I'd like to know (in your opinion) what the basic system requirements are for good process performance. I will being recording video with a Samsung SC-D5000 mini DV camcorder. The computer I have available for data capture and editing is a Dell Dimension 4600 with 80GB HDD, 2.8 Mhz CPU, four USB 2.0 ports, one 1394 port, NVIDIA GeForce FX5200 graphjcs card, Creative SB Audigy 2 sound card, and 17-inch flat screen (Dell E176FP) monitor.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

7 answers to this question

That's a pretty open ended question. What version of EMC 8 do you have? Essentials, Platinum (standard) or Deluxe? Much of what you are asking may be dictated by your equipment's capabilities. Buy some RW discs and experiment. Do not rely on any of the previews to show you what you will see on a burned DVD on your home system.

If you have the disc free space (an 80 gig drive is not real large for video work.,

Does that camera capture to miniDV tapes or directly to disc? If tapes, use the ILink (firewire) connection.

Probably the AVI capture will be your best bet but you may not have enough hard drive space for that (how much of that 80 gigs do you have free). If not, just use mpg2.

Your system is above minimums but make sure that all your drivers are updated and that your burner has been flashed to the latest firmware. You should be able to get all of the off Dell;s support site.

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to this whole DVD authoring thing. I've read quite a few postings here and was wondering if someone might be able point me in the right direction. I just installed EMC 8 and the 8.05 update.

What I'd like to know is; what is a good, basic process for capturing video data with the intent of burning home-movie DVDs? Specifically, I interested in the application settings that are best suited for this task (i.e., import video as DV-AVI format, etc.).

Also, I'd like to know (in your opinion) what the basic system requirements are for good process performance. I will being recording video with a Samsung SC-D5000 mini DV camcorder. The computer I have available for data capture and editing is a Dell Dimension 4600 with 80GB HDD, 2.8 Mhz CPU, four USB 2.0 ports, one 1394 port, NVIDIA GeForce FX5200 graphjcs card, Creative SB Audigy 2 sound card, and 17-inch flat screen (Dell E176FP) monitor.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

The home is "always" 3. What did you buy? What color was the box? I understand that there was a problem (web site ?) with the essentials and I don't remember the box color. Open VideoWave or MyDVD and look for the version there. Post it here. You probably have the "Suite" rather than the "deluxe" suite.

Looks like I have the "home" version 3. Is this a bad thing? All of the components are updated to build 8.05.

To answer an earlier question; I don't have a lot of storage space left but I'm shopping for an additional drive (300+ MB). I guess I'm in the market for more memory as well. Yes, the camera does use mini DV tapes. I use the firewire connection to capture the data. I have been using Movie Maker to capture the data in "best quality" mode. I thought I should be using the DV-AVI mode but (as you mentioned) the file created is HUGE.

MyDVD - vers 8.05B30B

VideoWave - vers 8.05

I didn't get a retail box - purchased new CDs off eBay. The install disk label reads Easy Media Creator 8 SUITE. Sounds like what I really need is the DELUXE version. Does anyone know if there is an upgrade path from SUITE to DELUXE?

If you get the extra hard drive. you will be OK. It will be a little slow but it should work fine. Have you tried using " Media Import" from the V8 home page? That should work also. Try working with the Standard for awhile. If and when you get frustrated, the upgrade to the deluxe should be available. It is very late. Since you bought the discs from e-bay, I'm not sure that you will be allowed to upgrade although you do have the latest version of the standard. If you didn't get the box, it may be an OEM version (perhaps somewhat crippled.)

It is real important to keep your audio and video updated from Dell's site or from the card manufacturer's web site. While you are at it you should make sure that you have the latest version of DirectX9 © and update you burner's firmware. When you are doing video work, don't try to do anything else. Disconnect from the internet and shut down everything that you don't need to have running (anti-malware and anti-virus). Using Windows, set your computer to best performance; not best appearance. Do the same with your video card.

Try using the program and come back to let us know how it is going or if you are running into problems.

If you get the extra hard drive. you will be OK. It will be a little slow but it should work fine. Have you tried using " Media Import" from the V8 home page? That should work also. Try working with the Standard for awhile. If and when you get frustrated, the upgrade to the deluxe should be available. It is very late. Since you bought the discs from e-bay, I'm not sure that you will be allowed to upgrade although you do have the latest version of the standard. If you didn't get the box, it may be an OEM version (perhaps somewhat crippled.)

It is real important to keep your audio and video updated from Dell's site or from the card manufacturer's web site. While you are at it you should make sure that you have the latest version of DirectX9 © and update you burner's firmware. When you are doing video work, don't try to do anything else. Disconnect from the internet and shut down everything that you don't need to have running (anti-malware and anti-virus). Using Windows, set your computer to best performance; not best appearance. Do the same with your video card.

Try using the program and come back to let us know how it is going or if you are running into problems.

Thanks sknis, I appreciate the advice. I do have everything updated - that was one of the most frequently offered pieces of advice on the forum.

I just bought 2GB of Ultra memory in anticipation of your response. I can make do with the smaller HDD for now by doing a better job of managing disk space. Right now the processing speed is a more urgent matter - my wife didn't count on me tying up the computer for so long.

Speaking of hard drives though, I noticed that my Dimension 4600i will support SATA. The 80 GB HDD installed now is an IDE. I was thinking of hunting down a good quality 300 - 500 GB SATA drive. Does anyone have any experience with these? The one concern I have is that the Dell requires that the SATA become the boot drive which means I'll have to move everything from the IDE over. A little more complicated than I had hoped for, but not out of the question.

Thanks again. I post again later after the memory upgrade.

The home is "always" 3. What did you buy? What color was the box? I understand that there was a problem (web site ?) with the essentials and I don't remember the box color. Open VideoWave or MyDVD and look for the version there. Post it here. You probably have the "Suite" rather than the "deluxe" suite.

To answer an earlier question; I don't have a lot of storage space left but I'm shopping for an additional drive (300+ MB). I guess I'm in the market for more memory as well.

Yes, the camera does use mini DV tapes. I use the firewire connection to capture the data. I have been using Movie Maker to capture the data in "best quality" mode. I thought I should be using the DV-AVI mode but (as you mentioned) the file created is HUGE.

MyDVD - vers 8.05B30B

VideoWave - vers 8.05

I didn't get a retail box - purchased new CDs off eBay. The install disk label reads Easy Media Creator 8 SUITE.

Sounds like what I really need is the DELUXE version. Does anyone know if there is an upgrade path from SUITE to DELUXE?

Sounds like a good question for Dells online support. Check the BIOS to see if there is anything there to indicate which to boot from: IDE or SATA. My last HP had the same thing, but I never tried it out. I just stuck with the IDE channels. My new HP I'm using now is only SATA for hard drives. There is one IDE channel for the DVD burners.

Archived